The MEANEST Mom in the World! :)

by BeautifulGarbage 20 Replies latest social family

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I had an experience with my son the other day and thought I would share it with the board.

I decided to take my son out to dinner. My daughter was off with friends and my husband was working. With it only being the two of us, I really didn’t feel like making a mess in the kitchen and then have to clean it up. So, I allowed my 5 year-old son his pick of restaurants in our town. Being the discriminate diner he is, with a hard to please palate, he had to give his choice some thought. After a couple of minutes of cogitation, he chose his favorite eatery: Carl’s Jr.

We arrived and went inside. It was moderately busy with customers. I found the end of the line and waited my turn to order. Once in line, by son decided it was time to make a mad dash to check out the dining area and find a table for us to sit. Then, check out the traction in the tile floors by attempting to break the world records for the Fast Food indoor 10-yard dash and the From the Booth Standing Long Jump. However, it is my preference that he stands beside me, quietly, like the well-behaved child I am striving to raise him to be.

Losing sight of him always makes me very nervous when he leaves my sight, as he is very friendly and will strike up a conversation with just about anyone. I did my Mother’s Bark across the restaurant (luckily I have a voice that carries) and growled at him to “get back over here” and stand close to me. I could feel the eyes of the other patrons on me. Judging me and my ability to parent.

Finally, it was our turn to order. By the time we stepped up to the counter there was quite a line behind us. Yet, there was only one person taking orders. I start to place my order, meanwhile never allowing my son out of my peripheral vision. Mid-order he begins to drift away slowly from me and I quickly snap “Stay here”! The lady behind the counter comments on how cute my miniature Harry Potter look-alike son is. I manage a “huh uh” when my son makes an announcement, to all that can hear, (And that was damn near everyone there) that mortified me. “Mom, you’re mean!

I’m stunned and embarrassed. Not so much by WHAT he said, but because he chose to say it in front of strangers. I could feel the blood rushing to my face and my mind stammered as how to respond to him. Especially, now that there was a captive audience to my reaction. I like to think of myself as a loving and concerned parent, and that stinging declaration was cramping my style, big time!

My son gazed up at me with those big brown eyes that are made huge by the glasses he needs to wear. His look seemed to say “Zinged ya good, huh, lady?! Try and get out of THIS one gracefully”! The imaginary parenting scorecard read: Kid 1, Mom 0. How do I get out of this one unscathed?

Then it occurs to me! A tactic that I use with my 10-year-old daughter with relatively good success a number of times. It may work for me now.

So, what did I do?

I simply agreed with him.

I looked at my little boy staring up at me and responded: “Yes! You are right! I am mean! Horrible mean! Frighteningly mean! In fact, I am the MEANEST Mom in the world”!I am SO MEAN that Moms from all over the world clamber at the chance to take MEAN lessons from me! I am THE MEAN guru. I am forever cultivating my MEAN skills as to spread my brand of Motherly MEANESS to every corner of the world. I am THE BIG MEANIE!”

The lady behind the counter was desperately trying to control her impulse to burst out laughing.

I turned to the bemused people in line and said:

“Take a good look! You have seen me in the flesh. Unlike Elvis sightings at Burger King, you have witnesses, and yes, I am alive and breathing. Tell your friends and neighbors you saw me at Carl’s Jr. Just get my title correct: I am The MEANEST Mom in the World.

My shocked son was speechless.

That being said, I quietly paid for my order, got our drinks, and sat down at a table to await our food. A Famous star for me. Chicken Stars Kids meal for my son. He devoured his meal with relish as I admonished him to “chew thoroughly before you swallow” with mild success.

We drove back home to the Mean Lair just in time for Sponge Bob Square Pants on television. I’m not so mean as to not let him watch his favorite show. After that, it was shower time, then off to bed.

Finally, the house is quiet. After collecting my thoughts, and the toys scattered on the floor, I gratefully collapsed into bed. After all, the worlds MEANEST Mom needs her beauty sleep.

Andee

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

loved it! great reply hahahah

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

LOLOL Bravo Andee! (from one mean mom to another)

Dana

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

That was without a doubt THE cutest story I have heard in a while.

I desperately needed that.

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

This reminds me of a little story someone told me about their son acting up in the super market. When he and Mom reached the check out, he decided he needed bubble gum tape. A round case containing about 3 feet of rolled up bubble gum. Well, she tells him no as she has spent enough money and he got other stuff. He proceeds to object very loudly about not getting the gum. Everyone looking and whispering at the way this little "brat" is acting. So to shut him up she buys it.

So they go merrily on their way out of the store and load up the car. She starts driving and he is saying in the most pleasant voice ever, "Mommy can I have my gum now?". She picks it up and says, "Oh yeah Mommy forgot, this gum honey?" He is sitting there with the biggest, honey sweet smile on his face and says, "yes Mommy".(one little happy camper)

Until, she says again, "this gum honey? He says, "yes" and she proceeds to open her window and through it out on the road. She told him he will NEVER act like that again in the store. After a bit of crying he accepted the fact and never acted that way in the store again. Mean can be a VERY good thing sometimes.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL Andee, great response!!!

When my 7th grader repeatedly "forgot" her trumpet/band uniform, (right after I'd just had the baby, had a broken foot, etc) I threatened to bring it to her during lunch in my robe and slippers.

"MOM you *wouldn't!!!!!*

Now even those of you who only know me via this forum know I would.

heh heh guess who suddenly stopped forgetting.

Lisa
    Loves a good Trump Card Class

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Andee, MarchOn, I will have to remember both of these stories. I have been in both situations with Nicole also. he he

Lilacs

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I remember when Johnny Carson was on the Tonight Show and Ed would accuse him of having sex with sheep. The expected response would be for him to deny the charges vociferously but Johnny did not. All he did was grin and say .."welljust that one time!"

That always cracked me up!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Loved your story Andee! I'm sure you're a great mom! Neil and I were talking the other day about who would be the disciplinarian in our household. Quite an interesting conversation I must say. Haha! So for now we're practicing on our dogs and cats.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Thanks for all responses to my adventure with my son.

Lisa, I don't doubt for ONE nano-second that you would show up at school in your robe and slippers. I have also threatened my daughter with that if she were to ever misbehave at school. I added the "curlers in my hair" touch. Of course, she exclaimed "Mom! HOW could you embarass me like that?!"

How, indeed. Heh heh heh

March on I love that story! My kids always ask for some treat while standing in line at the supermarket. I usually don't have any trouble with them because I so rarely say "yes". When I do, it takes them a moment to get over the shock

Dutchie I never heard that one! Too funny!

Andi,

Having kids now, sure makes me miss those days when I only had dogs! Hubby and I used to call them "The babies" (Gag!)

Reborn,Harmony,and Safe4,and Lilacs ,

Thanks for your comments

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit