Time for Silentlambs to address blood issue?

by Pathofthorns 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I just wanted to say that perhaps now is a good time for the Silentlambs group to add a fight against the Society's blood policy to their agenda. I think the Society's latest actions in response to their pressure could be considered a reasonable victory and unless the attack is broadened to include child abuse and blood, I think their 15 minutes could be up.

I see the molestation issue and the respect gained in media circles for the Silentlambs group providing a "limited time" opportunity to use this issue as a springboard to launch another offensive.

The Society's recent actions regarding child molestation make the issue increasingly difficult to convince the public and active JWs of the need for future major changes to their policy. Valuable time spent on the issue of molestation and trying to force the Society to bend on the last few remaining "demands" while probably hundreds of Witnesses die each year due to lack of blood might be better focused in another direction.

I think the common understanding that Witnesses should be able to personally decide their healthcare without influence and threat of sanctions or reprisals from the congregation will be much easier to form a more united effort against the Society. Since this issue does not present the same difficulties as agreeing on the best way to deal with child molesters, I can't forsee as much divisions, debate or resistance over this matter.

Path

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I think doing this would divert Bill from doing what he's been so wonderful about doing so far. Let folks like Lee Elder and the AJWFRB deal with it.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I disagree.

The "optics" suggest otherwise as the press is in a frenzy over this type of issue both with the JWs and other churches. The idea is to keep this going to ensure it keeps its legs.

It is important Bill, Barb et. al. fight the one battle only. Its large enough.

Lee Elder, Sam Muramoto and a few others (cough cough) are doing okay).

hawk

hawk

• blondie
    blondie

I agree, Yerusalim. How do you know Bill disagrees with the position on blood espoused by the WTS? And even if he did, why sabotage what he has done so far. Lee Elder and his co-workers and their site have already established a foundation for that issue. Why not work with them on it?

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Path,

quote:
    >"The Society's recent actions regarding child molestation make the issue increasingly difficult to convince the public and active JWs of the need for future major changes to their policy."<

I think getting people out of the cult would be a better alternative than trying to change it. Slow changes would just keep the hopes of any on the edge of leaving, involved longer or indefinitely.

HCM

• JanH
    JanH

Lee elder was tempted some time ago to shift his focus from the blood issue to the molestation cause. He was strongly advised not to. Shifting focus takes away attention and resources. Each person/group should fight one battle at a time.

The blood issue, while certainly important, is also very different from the child abuse issue. One gets tangled up in religious, legal, ethical and medical questions that must be carefully assessed, which Lee, AJWFRB and others have done in an exemplary way.

The child abuse case is widely different. The ethical question of abuse being a gross crime is pretty much agreed on, also by JWs and the WTS officials. We do not at all need to deal with the consent of the victims, as we do in the blood issue.

In the Silentlambs cause, some battles have been won, others have been drawed. The war is still on and must be brought to a conclusion. Stay focused!

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Some people like Bill Bowen, have made a choice to do the SilentLambs work.

Others, like Lee Elder, have made a choice to do the blood issue work.

Others choose to tell others what they should be doing.

• nancee park
    nancee park

The blood issue is part of child abuse as kids die from it too Let Bill continue hitting the pedophilia thing but as possible he can also incorporate this other abuse. To not do so would undercut the other effort. To do so would be to boost the other effort.

It's his decision, not ours. I believe he has in fact posted some on the blood issue on one of the less known discussion boards, including a note that healthy identical twins often share the same placenta through which they transfuse blood back and forth to each other - Jehovah's own arrangement which the Watchtower Society however deliberately oppose.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Path,

Once again you assume that Bill has an AGENDA outside of protecting children. How do you know he even disagrees with the Society's stance on blood?

As has been pointed out to you before this thread, it would be counterproductive to split energy and resources. Just how much time do you think he has?

Hmmm

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

HCM said: I think getting people out of the cult would be a better alternative than trying to change it. Slow changes would just keep the hopes of any on the edge of leaving, involved longer or indefinitely.

This of course is the best thing that can be done for those involved in Watchtowerdom. Reform will never work and the scriptures do say:

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

But those engaged in a ministry to reform or otherwise assist such endagered ones are doing their best under difficult circumstances and this choice is theirs alone to make. Our Lord will determine the worthyness of their cause not us. I thought that reform was possible in the beginning also. Each one then must determine the proper course for themselves.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit