Did the Resurrection really happen?

by thinker 77 Replies latest watchtower bible

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

If one insists on accepting the life of Jesus (or Brian) as a historical fact, then with regard to the resurrection consider the following: Sometimes, albeit in rare cases, people even today are pronounced dead, only to revive and NOT be dead. Otherwise how is it that we have so many people recounting "walking toward the light" stories in what are called near death experiences?

So, once behind the stone, who's to say that Jesus didn't simply revive from a "near death" experience.

• FetterFree Annie
    FetterFree Annie

Hello All. I have a confession to make. I didn't write that article. It was written by Josh Mcdowell and it was the best rebuttal to the doubt of the historial ressurection Jesus I've seen to date.

Mr Bean.

The WT society has a lot to answer for! They've mutilated the word of God to suit their own beliefs and consequently many have turned away from it convinced that there's nothing in for them.

I urge you to continue reading and studying. Read the Gospel of John in any other translation but the NWT, and ask to speak to you through His word.

His promise: "And you shall seek me, and find me, when you shall seek me will all your heart." Jer. 29:13

Also check out Randy's testimony on this site.

Blessings
    Annie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Josh Mcdowell is a lying scumbag. Just read what he calls "facts" in the above if you don't believe me. His idea of a "fact" is eerily remeniscent of Pastor Russell's concept of "fact", and "indisputable physical facts", and "truth".

One shouldn't be forced to use quotes so often when dealing with the words fact and truth.

• FetterFree Annie
    FetterFree Annie

Sorry. Double posting

• Bang
    Bang

The mytholgy that thinker pointed out shows how the human spirit was moved toward Jesus, the connection between myth and reality. His whole life is a miracle - everywhere He went and everthing He did connects to the truths of our spirituality and mythologies and our ways of even being.

Look at the dubs and the fundies - don't they nail Him down before they lift Him up?

Bang

• 4christ
    4christ

interesting post.....The similarities between the old pagan myths and the Christ story are interesting. In his book Mere Christianity, CS Lewis theorizes that the pagan myths could have been foreshadowings of the real deal that was to come. This makes sense to me, why not when the Old Testament itself foreshadows Christ in many ways. For example, Joseph and Jesus:

both were their father's son :)
    both sold for a bag of coin
    both taken to a place they did not want to go
    Joseph appeared sinless, Jesus WAS sinless
    Joseph forgives, Jesus forgives
    Joseph saved Egypt, Jesus saved the world

"Evidence the Demands a Verdict" .........excellent book. Professor McDowell had set out to disprove the resurrection, but ended up becoming a Christian after studying the evidence. very cool.

peace to all-L

• Bang
    Bang

Joseph put the silver cup in the mouth of the sack of the younger, heralding the choosing of St.Paul (Benjaminite).

Bang

• Valis
    Valis
    interesting post.....The similarities between the old pagan myths and the Christ story are interesting. In his book Mere Christianity, CS Lewis theorizes that the pagan myths could have been foreshadowings of the real deal that was to come. This makes sense to me,

If this were the case then the bible is based on false religion!!!!! There you guys go again, getting your hopes up based on fairy tales.

I claim to be an historian. My approach to Classics is historical. And I tell you that the evidence for the life, the death, and the resurrection of Christ is better authenticated than most of the facts of ancient history . . .
    E. M. Blaiklock
    Professor of Classics
    Auckland University
    I claim to be an astrophysicist. My approach to astrophysics is hysterical. And I tell you that the evidence for the sun revolving around the earth is better authenticated than most of the facts of modern science. Anyone can make spurious declarations like that..still doesn't make them true.

For the New Testament of Acts, the confirmation of historicity is overwhelming. Any attempt to reject its basic historicity, even in matters of detail, must now appear absurd. Roman historians have long taken it for granted.

A. N. Sherwin-White
    Classical Roman Historian

You wonder why Roman historians took the bible record for granted? First, they didn't believe any of that bullshit either. They had their own gods & goddesses to worry about. Second, when Roman scholars set about writing history, the mythology wasn't intertwined, nor was it the basis/foundation upon which Romans claimed legitimacy, or recorded history for that matter. I find it ABSURD that a scholar would ever make such a claim, that is unless its easier to read and reread the bible, rather than do some critical thinking about biblical history, in an effort to establish fact from fiction.

Keep tilting at windmills and studying historocity, same unprovable myth..different day.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Bang
    Bang
    There you guys go again, getting your hopes up based on fairy tales.

It seems you missed the 'point'.

The whole thing is spiritual, not "moral" the jovy meaning of spiritual, and it's certainly not physical history - the Bible even Says that it's spiritual - spirituality merges toward Christ, before and after Him.

You wonder why Roman historians took the bible record for granted?
    Morality points toward Him, and humanity recognises. "Behold, the lamb of God"

The consideration of physical history and morality are not the same as spiritual. The fundies aren't satisfied by wrestling with Christ, they need to nail Him down before they'll lift Him up - they have various possessions to consider (spiritual Babylon). The Spirit is not contained by their way. The jovies of course don't lift Him up but bind and nail Him at their own level and proceed to torture Him to death and then deny the Spirit even exists.

Bang

• Satanus
    Satanus
    It was written by Josh Mcdowell and it was the best rebuttal to the doubt of the historial ressurection Jesus I've seen to date.

If mcdowell the best available, you better start bailing and throwing out the life boats.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit