If Your JW Parent Died Would YOU Go To The Kingdom Hall For The Talk?

by minimus 68 Replies latest jw friends

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

of course i would, though I would probably hate the talk. I went for my grandma and really dispised the talk. It wasn't about her at all. It was more of a Sunday public talk. He just talked about how we shouldn't be sad or cry because she was already in paradise. Then proceeded to preach to the audience. To me, it was quite rude.

But really, if your parent is a JW and requests the talk be given at the kingdom hall, I would hope everyone here would attend. Like one poster said, u may hate the talk but u will get over it. If you don't attend its something u may never get over.

these are your parents, u owe it to them no matter how u feel about their beliefs, or how they may have treated u.

• flipper
    flipper

I would go to show support to my inactive nieces and nephews and out of respect for my deceased parents. However - I WILL request to my older brother, an elder, that for my mom's memorial service they spend at least 5 to 7 minutes talking about her OTHER great qualities aside from the JW cult. If he's unwilling to do this I may request that he allow me to get up and say a few words. We'll see how THAT goes. I'm not looking forward to it- believe me. It's going to happen probably sooner than later as my dad is 89 and my mom is 87

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

No. My JW mom says she won't have a KH funeral or any at all. My stepdad is not a JW, and my 2 brothers and I are not dubs either, so no pressure.

Maybe the local yokels will have one on their own, but I doubt it, my mom hasn't lived in her area long enough to have deep roots.

Snakes (Rich)

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Of course I would go. I ignored most of the content in the meetings for years whilst attending, I think I can tolerate one final evangelising session. Not that I would necessarily be welcome in any way, but I refuse to attend any JW post funeral talk events. I will give respect where respect is due for the deceased. Just because they don't have any respect for the dead or living doesn't mean that I have to follow that example.

• cleanideas
    cleanideas

No. HELL NO! My parents were emotionally and physically abusive to me growing up, who later shunned me when I made my escape from that doomsday death cult. They wrote me letters disowning me. That was about 12 years ago. They could already be dead for all I know.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Yes, I went. There was about 25 of us, never-beens and df'd family who walked behind the coffin as it was brought in. We then took up the entire front 2 rows. The rest of the congregation scuffled uneasily behind us. We refused to sing or pray. No-one spoke to us and we did not speak to anyone. We then left in a calm, dignified manner, a united family who had done their duty.

• Heaven
    Heaven

When my Mom died I went as my Dad is still alive. Once Dad passes away, I won't go. He doesn't remember anything about the JWs anymore. No one from his Hall comes to visit him as per his request/wishes.

I occasionally get an email from one of the elder's wives but it's been a while since I received one. Hoping it fizzles out. I believe she is losing her eyesight so I think it will.

• redredrose
    redredrose

My mother died 8 years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She had not attended in years, and by the time she died I hadn't either. I never got the opportunity to talk with her about my decision to leave this religion, but I know she would never shun me.

i decided not to have a formal memorial for her because I knew that I wouldn't be able to tolerate all those witnesses. So I invited my freinds and family to my home and let it be known that any from our former congregation would be welcomed. Since I'm not disfellowshipped, there were a few witnesses and elders who came. I asked a former close freind who was an elder to speak briefly and to make it personal and warm. So we made alot of food and had a wonderful time. I know that may sound strange but because of the informal setting and lack of ritual we could concentrate on my mother as a person, not as another cog in the wheel.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I think I would have gone to my father's memorial if I'd been treated differently when I DID go to see him. He was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer in March of 2012 and I got a ticket and flew down to see him in May at some cost to myself I might add. I spent 6 weeks with my sister and other family members all of us pleading to be allowed to see dad...I was not allowed on his doorstep and he wouldn't speak to me via phone or e-mail as per GB directions (which my step mother made very certain he followed). I will add right here that before stepmother got involved he HAD been speaking to me and had asked me to come down when he found out about the cancer.

My other siblings got pretty much the same treatment even though some of them had never been baptized. A lot or most of this I place sqarely upon my stepmother, a pschopathically selfish woman....and JW in 'good standing' but the GB I blame also.

Today I think I would be resolved not to attend any JW memorial even of family members...why would I when they treat me as dead while I'm living?

What a despicable religion Jehavah's witnesses are, not the individual people...well, *cough* maybe a few are truly despicable ...but the organization, yes.

• BelleStar
    BelleStar

My mother had re-connected with the JW's shortly before her death, but as I was in control of organising her funeral and she had stated that she wanted a very simple, no fuss funeral I invited the Witnesses that had been the closest to her, so literally just 4, and one elder. He asked if I would like him to say anything at the grave side and I said yes, he kept it brief and just skirted on her faith. I was glad about that and he brought humour to the event as well. So for that I thank them, they came to the small wake I held afterwards too, and were very gracious to the group of people that had gathered there. I will comment on the ones that damaged my childhood but also give credit where it's due. Maybe this is an oiption for people too !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit