Why must we APPLY for everything?

by Tech49 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tech49
    Tech49

I was thinking about this today, after seeing another thread on the subject of serving in Israel, of all places. There have been many comments on the recent thread, and the ones a little older, about how utterly ridiculous that premise is.

The bigger question is WHY DO I HAVE TO APPLY? Apply for what? Permission? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Here's why: WT is not going to "sponsor" you in any way, they arent going to give you a magic shiny button, or pay for your hotel, or airfare, or meals, or anything. The only thing they will give you is a list, or a contact congregation. That's it! Have a great time, and don't get shot or have your head cut off! They certainly won't petition a foreign goverment if you get captured or are imprisoned... although you may get a mention in next years copy of the Yearbook.

Again, why do I have to APPLY for this? How about.... if I want to go to Israel, or Italy, or Germany, or Australia, or Pakistan, or India, or Japan, or NORTH KOREA to "preach".... I just GO !

Reminds me distinctly of the "special", "invite only" attendees at the international conventions this last year. I have to APPLY? What for? Why? What if I dont APPLY and I just go anyways? What happens? answer: Nothing.... oh wait.... you will be treated like dirt, for not "submitting" to authority.

I mentioned that to a sister, an elder's wife a while back. The conversation went like this:

I said "Hey, lets all go to Hawaii for the I.C. this year, and make a vacation out of it!" She said "Well, maybe, but we have to submit an application and wait to get approved." I replied "Why? Its Hawaii...Lets just book the tickets and go!"

She seriously looked at me like I was Satan himself. Her eyes got real big, her voice cracked a little, and she said, and I kid you not: "We cant do that, it's going against the Society's instructions!!!!!."

(facepalm) I replied, with a sigh, "No, its not. There is nothing anywhere that says you CAN'T go anywhere you want, and besides, what are they going to do, arrest you for going to the Convention?" She threw her hands up in utter disgust and walked away... hasn't spoken to me much since...

It's almost as if these people can't even tie their own shoes without being told to do so. AFTER they get permission to do so!

Freaking grown-ups that are chained to the floor by their own stupidity.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I remember year after year, at District A$$emblies: People collapsing from heat exhaustion or dehydration. ("Member how it is "disrespectful" to be seen drinking during the sessions??)

I kid you not, when the society said you can drink WATER during the sessions, an eldugh said "what a loving provision from jehoobie - they encourage us to drink during the sessions, so we won't get dehydrated."

EXCUSE ME?? Since when did I need permission, or directives as to when I can put a cup to my lips?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

There you go again, Jack, thinking outside the box bOrg!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't know why they are encouraging friends to apply for the Israel campaign, but knowing them, one reason is being able to track how many people go over there. Remember their fetish for number reporting? Secondly, there may be a cultural orientation of some kind for the ones who register. G-d knows there should be. But of course there is nothing preventing a JW from just going over there on their own, as I have known some to do.

Think of this as registering for a tourism trip as opposed to making your own arrangements. There are pros and cons. The Society never said you can't go on your own. Your analogy to the IC is also weak because if everyone who felt like going to Hawaii went there for the IC, they could be overcrowded. There are better places to direct your general anger than at attempts by the Society to organize its events.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I understand your point.... It's all about control.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Israel is the last place on God's green earth I'd go to.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Weren't I.D. badges a requirement for this year's IC?

No badge, no entry.

Two reasons for the applying process:

1) Control,

2) It makes Uber JWs feel more Uber by being a part of the 'special club'- you know, getting WTs stamp of approval saying the Almighty likes you enough to allow you the privilege of paying your own way to the most boring three days of your life.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I.D Badges required for entry to the I.C.?

What about the "multitudes" [fourteen] of "interested persons" [nothing else to do that weekend] who accepted one of the zillions of invitations to attend?

Did they have to provide proof to the Convention Security that they were not yet one of God's people?

• Absalom
    Absalom

I got grief for going to my families International this summer. I live away from my family, all my family, (including bethelites, and missionaries) were going to be together at the convention. I just went. Peoplet asked why I didn't apply, I said, "We invited the public to come to all of the conventions, how is the public welcome, but I am not!

No witness ever responded to that!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Did they have to provide proof to the Convention Security that they were not yet one of God's people?

They were the ones without the halo above their heads or the angelic glow encompassing their bodies. Obviously non-JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit