2nd and 3rd Genners -- Did the passing of the 1st/2nd Gen. cause doubts for you?

by Apognophos 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

More than once now I have heard the expression "getting into the New World via the Underground" .

'round here, I've only heard this from COs and on convention/assembly programs. (I'm sure some local JWs have used it as well, but i'm neither old nor zealous enough to be having deep conversations with the ones who are likely using it). I think they're trying to coin the expression as a way of preparing people to expect their older loved ones to die before armageddon.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My last meeting ever was at the 2010 district convention where I heard the infamous generation talk. The very same morning the WT review was also the article on the overlapping generation. I had found the talk's outline on the Internet several weeks before and knew what to expect. So during the talk I watched the reactions from the folks sitting in the reserved section for the aged and infirm. The applause and the heads bobbing in approval was too much to take. These people were being told that all their sacrifices because the end was close were done in vain...and still none seemed to realize that in a few years they will all be gone only to be replaced by another group of people sitting in their place to listen to the same lies. My dad died 11 years ago and my mother turned 81 and both firmly believed they would enter in the new system alive...the passing of time and the failed expectations would convince a normal person that they have been misled...but brainwashed cult victims can't come to the realization they have been fooled...my mother is still pioneering.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Interesting, wildwildlife, thanks for the reply (and welcome!). It's interesting to note that the first Witnesses in your family weren't even called "Witnesses", and believed things that would get them DFed today.

Edit: And a poignant story there, NVR2L8, thanks for sharing it. Yes, it's amazing how all the old JWs we knew as kids have died and been replaced by another generation of white-haired people sitting in the infirm section, waiting to see the end come. What a human tragedy this religion is.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I told my father some years before the generation change in 1995 that if they ever changed it, it's no longer the 'truth'.

• gda
    gda

i'm watching my fourth gen. unbabtized daughter still seeking bible studies. omg! I keep showing her stuff but it's not working. Ugh....

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I'm  'only' 2nd gen dub but have 4 children 6 grand children and 1 great grand child. They are all dubs--sort of.

My wife and I were very good examples (elder, pioneer, never miss a meeting) of being 'good dubs', raising our children in da troof. Now, my wife, my children, and grandchildren see that I'm no longer a real dub (since really accepting ttatt). At first, as I began to 'fade', they were all a bit shocked. But now that they see me much happier, much less rigid, more relaxed, having infinitely more time for them, they have accepted the 'new' me and i truly believe that they like the 'new and improved' me much better. 3 cheers for freedom and happy new year to all my fellow improved ex-dubs!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

My Great-Grand Parents traveled as early pioneers from 1919 to 1925 proclaiming that 1925 was the end of the world as we know it. Their preaching was based on J.F. Rutherford's calculations published in Millions Now Living Will Never Die. My Mom was baptized in 1941 and given the Children's Books by J. F. Rutherford in St. Louis.  

I remember when PaPa died about fifteen years ago, as he laid in bed and expressed concern about his inevitable death, Mom sat on his bed told him he would not die because he was the generation of 1914 and that he would not pass away. 

Personally, I never gave much credit to the whole generation Mumbo-Jumbo crap, but when it obviously became an eye-sore to JW's teachings and they started doctoring on it and changing it because nothing ever happened, I was then awake.  

• flipper
    flipper

I was a 2nd generation Witness and my parents got into it in the early 1950's. When my own non-JW grandparents died in the mid 1980's I started having doubts about the time of the end in 1989 by the time I was 30 years old. But I couldn't talk about it openly or my then fanatic JW wife would have ratted me out to the elders so I didn't exit for good until after our divorce at age 44 .  Glad I left . Such a BS organization

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit