What's with this "no windows in kingdom halls" thing?

by Trapped in JW land 32 Replies latest jw friends

• pbrow
    pbrow

The reason is simple follow the money....

A large portion of kingdoms halls dont have windows because putting windows in costs more than just putting up a wall. I know, i know... its not sexy.. its not jdubs killing chickens or anything like that.

Constructions costs are cheaper the fewer windows you have.

pbrow

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Kingdom halls in my area used to be built with windows - one of the older ones I've been to had windows last I was there, but that was probably 15-20 years ago, now. I haven't seen a new kingdom hall in the last 20 years that was built with windows, but that may vary depending on climate and local culture. I've often heard from the platform that it is because people sometimes would throw rocks through them. Sometimes this is mentioned in the context of "angry appostates" or "protesters." Litterally every time I've heard it, though, it follows the script below nearly verbatim:

<discussing questions/objections people might have regarding JWs, things like "you don't believe in Jesus" etc.>
    "Some people even wonder why kingdom halls don't have windows. 'What are you doing in there that you don't want people to see?' they ask. Well there's a simple answer - we don't have anything to hide, but at one time when kingdom halls had windows there was often a problem with vandalism. Sometimes people <sometimes this is changed to appostates or something similar to fuel the persecution complex> would throw rocks through them. So, after a while, it was decided that new kingdom halls would be built without windows. We can also assure people that are meetings are open to the public, and invite them to attend."

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't know, Trapped, I find it very tiresome when people say this. I've only been in congregations where the Halls had windows.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

the no-window story is a hoax.. i have visited Kingdom Halls in dozens of countries on 4 different continents... all had windows

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I think the no window look came with the advent of the 3 day quick build KH's. It made contruction quicker and cheaper. Other advantageous reasons for no windows....like prevent vandalism, distractions, energy savings, etc. were probably reasoned on. I've been out since 95', but sounds like the 3 day quick buld is no longer the norm and JW's probably got tired of the plain & creepy no window look.

• Ajax
    Ajax

Where we are, the new halls have NO windows in the auditorium.

¨...but you can still see out between the slats.¨ that's what the guys used to say at Leavenworth, Folsom and Alcatraz

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I have been in kingdom halls in more than a dozen countries. All had windows. I guess this is mainly a US thing...

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

i like it when people make silliness out of nothing

gives us apostates a good name

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've been in Kingdom Halls where there were windows (older ones), and some that did not (newer). There are many Kingdom Halls with no windows, but this is not universal.

Evidently, with the LDC, the window situation is going to change.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/289353/1/LDC-Semininar

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Londo that link os A+! i dont know how i missed that thread originally but im glad you linked back to it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit