Nephew going to bethel - seeking seed planting ideas

by azor 29 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor

Hello all. I am new here. I have posted a handful of times so far. I am seeking some ideas to plant some seeds with my nephew before he goes to Patterson.

A little about me and the going away party where I will have an opportunity to plant these seeds. I have a little freedom since I am the only relative that he is in communication with that spent some time at bethel. My brother knows something is up with me but not the full extent. I have stepped aside as an elder within the last month, have stopped going to meetings, and grown a beard. I have told my brother that I will shave for the event so as not to cause a disturbance for his son. I will likely be around other jw family members and friends from his congregation so I have to be very careful how I word things.

I still need help from my family due to a serious illness that my son has. My mother is starting to learn and accept TTATT but this is all she has known, and all the friends, and family that she has. I don't want to make being around my family difficult for her. Which would be the case if I were df'd.

His son is 19/20 and is a M.S. He is very naive and has little if any real world experience due in large part to being home schooled most of his life and working for his father my brother. I would also like to potentially reach my brother through him. My brother and I are very close in age and have been relatively close through the years. We have been there for each other through some of the toughest times of each others lives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Azor

• runForever
    runForever

I don't know. What would Jesus do?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You have been to Bethel, you have been around your nephew. You probably have better ideas than the majority of us what to say about it.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I would recommend just enjoying the time with him and your family. Waking someone up is so difficult, unless they are ready. If he is going to bethel he is fully indoctrinated. Hopefully a little life experience will start to wake him up. Bethel is a very easy place to lose your spirituality at. lots of drinking and not all bethelites are good association.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Just use your intuition and your own brains. Don't rely on "Jehovah" because I don't think he is the true god, but that's me. And really, mental telepathy? Use your own life experiences and think before you talk, and you'll do just fine.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Reflecting on my personal experience, I'm not sure there's much you can say right now, it's all so new and exciting. Probably the best would be to keep in touch with him. Reflecting on my experience, I wish I would have had a voice of reason during that first year that would have helped me realize that leaving after one year would have been enough of that madness.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I agree with OTWO, you probably have a better idea what you can/should say than anyone here.

Obviously you have to be very careful, so find 1 small item you can get away with saying something about, and enjoy the rest of the evening with your family. Just remember to say it to him when you are alone. jwfact might be of some help.

• millie210
    millie210

My son in law was at Bethel and from his stories, I would say to pay close attention to Ignoranceisbliss and the statement made above.

Lots of drinking especially on weekends.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Being an ex-Bethelite myself, I have to agree that you probably can't say anything to him right now. He is still in his 'honeymoon' stage and it will take some time for him to wake up. My advice would be to take him aside and tell him that if he ever needed anyone to talk to you will give him a listening ear without judgement at any time under any circumstances. That way, if he wakes up while at Bethel, he will have a loving family member that will accept him without reservation.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Good call sparky1! I agree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit