DEMONS: the torment I suffered

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

Growing up in the 50's and 60's I heard a lot of demon stories. There was one published in almost every magazine. One I wish I could recall more about ( it was the 60's ) was a warlock who became a witness and was tormented by the demons until he proved he was not backing down. I wish someone with a library could pull that one up. It was quite a story. Somewhere in the 80's the stories started slowing down as the wts started trying to attract the more educated and householders laughed openly in their faces. Also as someone else said, many religions believe in demons other than jws. Very common belief really. common among the poor, ie, pentacostals, church of christ, lot of churches in the Bible belt .

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I'm so glad of my natural pragmatism. Never had monster under the bed or in the closet or any demons tormenting me. That didn't seem logical to me-ever.

The BAD part of that is that I am naturally skeptical of anyone having a bad intention. Why would they? I'm a nice person and would never do things for a mean purpose! This has skewed my judgement and caused me not to be very strategic when it would serve me well to be a little skeptical.

• Terry
    Terry

In my congregation in Fort Worth, our Assitant Overseer (as they were then denominated) was a good-ole-boy named Wally Coulter.

He told a story about going to a woman's door and presenting her with the sermon du jour only to have her curse him out and

order him off her property!

According to Wally, "As I was about to shake the dust off my feet as I turned and walked past her back fence, I happened to glance

in the backyard where I saw something that scared the bejeebers out of me! There was a goat shaped demon with a collar around its neck sitting in the middle of the backyard in a rocking chair! I got outta there as fast as I could praying to Jehovah!"

We all repeated that story, of course.

I sure as hell don't know what it means--but--that's the level of wacky word-of-mouth urban fear-mongering JW's at all levels repeated.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

One I wish I could recall more about ( it was the 60's ) was a warlock who became a witness and was tormented by the demons until he proved he was not backing down.

I remember one like that, though I thought it was published around the '80s. A guy who used to summon demons who, after he started studying, had the demons clawing at his window trying to get at him. There's also a story in one publication about a woman who had snakes falling from the ceiling in her bedroom and filling up the entire room. I can't find either of those stories on the CD-ROM at the moment, though.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I remember odd stories like this. Is it just me.....or are these MUCH less common now a days? I wonder why that is?

• Violia
    Violia

Apognophos

you may be right, it might be the 80's , you know how time messes with your mind. anyway, it was one heck of a warlock story.

Problemadict- yes they are less common in the mags b/c jws are trying to attract the more educated and people were LOL in their faces at those stories. You still hear jws talk among themselves although I think the new light is not to do this as it attracts attention to satan. lol

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I have 'restless limb syndrome' which is describable as wagging your foot at the ankle the same way a dog wags its tail! I WAS CAUSING THE BEDSHAKE--not LUCIFER, SATAN, DEMONS....

Uh-huh. That's what they want you to believe. One night you'll go out and, well, no one will hear from you again.

A guy who used to summon demons who, after he started studying, had the demons clawing at his window trying to get at him.

Any demon who can't get through a window ought to lose their union membership.

As for me, I've never been troubled by demons at night. The aliens chase them away!

In all seriousness, though, I've been plagued by something at night over the past several months. I feel like something (and my wife has had the same experience) is moving around in my bedroom. I sometimes wake up and feel something is looking at me...staring at me. It's an unsettling experience. If I ignore it, I'll jolt awake several moments later and very distinctly feel as though something is touching my face. It's not an ethereal experience like some people get when they think someone is touching them. This definitely feels like flesh touching flesh. And all the time there's this feeling of being watched that I can't shake. Sometimes it will happen again and I'll cover my hand with my arms, but no matter how I hold them, there's the real experience of being touched. Sometimes shoved. I keep a flashlight handy, and when this happens I always turn it on. The disconcerting thing is that the first time this happened, the flashlight wouldn't turn on, even though it had fresh batteries. I fiddled with it a bit and tried it again and a red light shot out of it onto a face not more than two feet away. That's when I grab the cat and put him on my chest. As he begins to purr, I reach down and get his plate of food (he can get it himself, but what fun would eating alone be?) and put it in front of him. If I don't wake up from the jabs, a loud "meow" follows. If completely ignored, he tries to wake the wife and, failing that, he jumps down, finds the food and eats alone. Then he vanishes as quickly as he came.

Which is amazing because my cat died five years ago!!!!

Okay...just kidding. He's fine. Just thought I'd BS you.

But I'm not kidding about the aliens.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Once I'd reached a point where I realized that if "demons" had proliferated throughout the world to the degree that WT ideology claimed, humans'd be extinct...

...well...

...the credibility of the claims went down the toilet.

• marmot
    marmot

I'm pissed off with the WT because it made me miss out on some really awesome music for the first half of my life. When I was just starting school one of my friends would bring mix tapes of AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc. and would wear the band T-shirts replete with skulls and monsters. Being the little witness indoctrinated child that I was I would actually HALLUCINATE DEMONS GETTING ON THE SCHOOLBUS while the mix tapes were playing and I would go home and cry to my mother afterwards. 

I'm now a huge metal fan and can only shake my head in embarrassment at those memories.

• LosingMyReligion
    LosingMyReligion
    I can remember as a kid when we had bookstudies. Sometimes after the study was over someone would relate stories about demons, satanic music played backwards to relate a message from satan and all kinds of crazy shit. How anyone can think these are suitable subjects of discussion among kids is beyond me, but they sure have left a mark on me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit