Many Member Just Want to Believe

by OnTheWayOut 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DJS
    DJS

OTWO,

Nice OP. I especially like your A - G process. We see that so many times when Dubs, in response to the way-effed up Borganization's directions (lack of) and changing doctrines, say things like "where else are we to go?" We see the same thing on this site frequently. They are locked in the successive chain of thinking, and they will never be free until they discard the entire process and start over.

• pcop
    pcop

I see a combination of factors that keep many glued to the WTBTS:

• Indoctrination over the years that there is no place else to go and being outside "the organization" results in loss of eternal life. The belief that being cutoff from the organization where salvation can only be found. A fear factor.
    • Stigmatization of being labeled a "worldly person."
    • Ostracization by friends and family. (Many cannot deal with the mental aspect of this).
    • Becoming accustomed to the "going along" with everything and shielding and protecting ones inner feelings from anything that might disturb them. (In other word, not wanting ones world rocked).
    • The powerful "group dynamic" that exists and the "virtual arms" that embrace the WT membership. A family atmosphere is created and many do not want to upset or disappont "the family."
    • Time vested. Many simply feel that they have been associated with the organization for many years and do not want to count those years as a bad investment.
    • Many believe that "the organization" is the truth as Phizzy believes. Yet, they are in error because it is not an organization that is "the truth" it is Christ Jesus who is "the truth." Therein, lies the subtle deception: Other things are being ascribed only what Christ Jesus is. For example, the Bible is being called "The Word of God." The WTBTS is being called "The Truth" and also "The Way" and "The Life" if one really thinks about it.

Sadly, many JW - while claiming to be in the business of the truth - are repelled by the truth. (I know I was).

When questioned about the origins of 1914 (Second Adventist Movement and not the Watch Tower) many simply do not want to deal with it. When asked to reconcile such a date with what Christ stated at Matthew 24:36, Matthew 24:42, and Acts 1:7, many hem and haw or run away or make such statements as " Well, I believe it is the Truth, and that's good enough for me" which is a "I-don't-care-and-I-don't-want-to-know" mechanism. There is a mental block that keeps JWs (and others) from confronting TRUTH.

This repulsion to the truth (which is Christ and his teachings) reminds me of how demons reacted in Christs presence. They were repelled by him.

I am well qualified to write what I write here as I was a faithful JW for more than thirty years. I left the organization quietly by disassociation. I did not leave angry or disgruntled. I left as a very concerned person that something was very very wrong.

The "friends" did not want to deal with the hard questions such as 1914 and failed prophetic utterances within the WT organization. I saw a subtle shift and deviations from what Christ taught to what "the organization" taught and still teaches.

I saw more and more a book (The Bible) getting more props and mention as "The Word of God" rather than the one who IS The Word of God: Christ Jesus.

I saw "The Organization" and the men who sit on top of it being elevated to lofty and holy positions to such an extent THEY became objects of reverence rather than Christ himself.

I saw "The Organization" literally usurp the titles of "The Truth, The Way and The Life."

As Phizzy stated, he/she believes that the WTBTS is "The Truth" rather than recognizing that Christ is "The Truth." Any who were and are JWs will acknowledge the use of the expressions "In the truth" or "Are you in the truth?" All JWs know what they mean. They mean "Are you in the organization?"

The organization hails itself as The Way. How so? Because it says that no one can approach the Father unless they do so via the organization and in association with it. (Read the baptismal vow). Yet, Jesus said that "he" is The Way to the Father.

The organization hails itself as The Life. It teaches that all within it are in a "spiritual paradise." In other words, within a particular lifestyle that leads one to eternal life as long as they remain it.

The Jews who The Most High sent His Son to rejected the Messiah. Do not be fooled or deceived, the Son of God is being rejected by those claiming to follow him.

I have awaken and would NEVER NEVER ascribe to any human or human agency that which belongs to my Master: The Way, The Truth and The Life.

Yet, that is exactly what JWs and members of ALL of the religious system called "by men" Christianity has done.

I am intelligent to know that many of them "do not know" and are unware that is what they are doing.

Thanks to my Master Christ Jesus and his teaching and example I can say as he did: "Forgive them for they do not know what they are doing."

This teaching is vastly important to all who claim to follow Christ. It keeps us humble and it reminds us that we were once in that state of slumber and denial.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Page one:
    Phizzy, trying to end the closed-mindedness is the main reason I am still here on JWN. I look for those thoughts that will help me open the mind of my JW family ones. I push those minds to think in any situation and hope they apply it to the Watchtower the same way.

stillin, it's just sad that their "good tricks" are word plays or examples (similar to my using magic in the opening post) delivered at talks or their "tricks" are just piling on with their fake logic to make it seem that their doctrine is indisputable and then throwing in unrelated scriptures in such a way to make it seem that the Bible supports their view.

Page two:
    DJS, it is a long road to breaking the JW thought process. They do the A-G process without ever seeing anything wrong with that. To break that up, it's almost like waking up Neo in the Matrix. "Everything is a lie?- EVERYTHING?"

pcop, thanks for your factors. Your last bullet point is critical. (In my opinion,) Watchtower, and now the Governing Body primarily, are taking the place of all the Christian things involved in worship- Jesus, God, and the Bible. Jesus is supposed to show "the way" and now Watchtower shows the way. God is supposed to be understanding and members are to obey Him. Now, your Governing Body understands and you should obey them. The Bible is God's Word and guide. Now, only Watchtower can explain what God means and is totally your guide.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I admire your determination, Jerry, but do you never get the feeling you're pissing into the wind?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Thinking my metaphor for futility might be misunderstood. Perhaps "banging your head against a wall" would have been more appropriate. The context is your ongoing and ostensibly patient conversation with your wife. It is admirable. You haven't given up. After all this time and after all your gallant efforts she's still in. I admit to have given up. I have put forward evidence and arguments that are devastating in their clarity and logic but they bounce harmlessly off her faith. While I watch myself grow older in the mirror I have come to accept that I will not get through to the love of my life. Not entirely resignation. There is also the "be careful what you wish for" aspect of things. If I managed to get through and the light went on inside her head the possibility of unintended consequences is considerable. I think she is one of those people who need faith to be happy. If those people lose their faith and for the first time in their lives clearly perceive the oblivion that awaits them it might just be beyond bearing. Perhaps terrifying. It's a corollary to the canard that faith is good because it gives one hope. The counter that that "good" does in no way bear on the question of the veracity of what is believed is beyond challenge, though maybe beside the point.

You have no doubt read the famous Marx quote in context:

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

It wasn't a derrogatory dismissal of religion as usually taken but an acknowledgement that religion dulls the pain of reality.

I still prefer single malts. Think I'll get another one now.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I agree, many Jehovah's Witnesses sub consciously or consciously chose to believe, due to cognitive dissonance they just can't take in any information that disproves their belief. I was only able to mentally break free because my life situation got so bad I was forced to confront my doubts.

I remember a Watchtower article that came out in 1999, I think. Obviously they were attempting to address people that were losing faith. They pointed out that they were the only Christian religion that told the truth about hell fire and the trinity, so even if they were not perfect they were still better than any other religion. I briefly found this argument to be compelling, as these teachings were what motivated me to convert in the first place.

I had already come to the conclusion that I would be happier as a non witness, but I was still so convinced that they were right on these points I couldn't figure out what to do. If they weren't "the truth", then what was? Where would I go? It was only because I was married to a disfellowshopped person, trapped in a bad marriage and treated as an outsider to the congregation that I was forced to accept that the Watchtower couldn't possibly be "the truth". It just hit me that even if God existed, why would he want me to be miserable? What good was that to anyone?

It took a personal crisis to get me to that point, and I think that is what it will take for most people, at least for those who chose as adults to join. It takes a lot to break through the cognitive dissonance, that is why it's so hard to break through to a believing JW.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nickolas, I do feel frustrated and like I am wasting my time. Now, I don't spend time every single day plotting how to make my wife do some independent thinking. But I do take opportunities when they present themselves.

But what else can I do? Just give up and say Watchtower wins? Divorce my wife who loves me and doesn't turn me in to the elders for being myself?

My wife is not someone who needs Watchtower (or some other religion) to be happy. She loves education and gets enjoyment out of our vacations and from horses and chickens (pets and hobbies). She would be a professional college student if she could, and can pass time reading Jane Austin or viewing Jane Austin movies over and over again, instead of keeping up with the latest Watchtower. I don't think she has or would have (if free from WTS) the pain of reality.

And even if someone does have the pain of reality when leaving, everyone deserves TTATT. Many JWN posters went through that and yet continue to confirm that they are glad to be out.

Thanks for your thoughts, LisaRose. Excellent post.

• talesin
    talesin

I would guess that, the length of time a person is in the JWS, especially a born-in, would effect their fear factor. It's scary to realize that once you leave the WTS, you will be responsible for every decision in your life. Freedom = responsibility.

Once free, there are no elders, no 'mother' to tell you what is right and what is wrong. I would think that could be frightening (trying to step outside the box and think of how I would feel if I had stayed in the JWS). This fear would be deep, and the person may not even be aware of what is holding them back from accepting TTATT.

tal

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It would appear the Watchtower is winning because she is still in and happy to be in. Certainly no contemplation of divorce on her part, since she and you have a kind of détente she is content to maintain. Would it be you who would contemplate divorce if you came to the realisation that your efforts to get through to her will never succeed? That she will be in until she dies? I think not. Love does indeed conquer all.

You could be describing my wife, Jerry. She loves life in much the same way, with much the same energy and enthusiasm. She is one of the most positive people I know. Certainly more so than I. She has the capacity to light up a room. Lift spirits. But it is all within a context that there is a purpose for it all, a reason, a grand plan, something that comes afterward. Take that away and the spark might fade from her eyes, and that I could not bear.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

" Well, I believe it is the Truth, and that's good enough for me "

Interesting, considering that one of the primary determining factors in calling it "The Truth" is that it actually be factually true...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit