If you don't have an "electronic device" you aren't ready for service!

by LostGeneration 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

The main guy in that picture looks like Joseph Goebbels...funny

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Yeah, it wont be long before JW's try to deduct their data plan from their taxes as a religious contribution

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

joe134cd - "Hard to believe that they had a part on the assembly program a few years back about been overly occupied with electronic devices."

Well, the JW.org e-campaign wasn't ready to be launched, yet.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This is a wonderful thing. Unlike a print book, where you open it and those are the contents you have, the electronic devices allow you to wander to more interesting material. You can be looking at material on the web, reading ebooks of your choice, or playing games, all while looking studious. You may even be browsing around here.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I gave my fully indoctrinated JW daughter a new Dell Venue tablet a few months ago ... everybody else in the family has a tablet, most of us not meeting attenders ... she sent me a text the other day that it had fallen and the screen cracked. I don't know the circumstances of the fall, but I have dropped mine a few times without any breakage

This is going to be a burden on these sisters. This can get quite expensive for them.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Wannabee - If you bought it just a few months ago then Dell probably covers it for a year, but since it's not an internal problem with the tablet that may not be covered. Did you purchase any coverage from the store?

• Splash
    Splash

Can anyone search the WT CD for "latest gadget" please?

I'm not at a PC right now but seem to recall counsel not to buy into all these things.

Thanks, Splash.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

3 hits for "latest gadget"

*** g01 2/22 p. 8 Insurance That Everyone Needs ***
    Think of the Future
    Showing practical wisdom is a protection. During times of relative economic prosperity, it may be possible to put aside something for a rainy day—a time of need. In ancient times the God-fearing man Joseph distinguished himself as “a man discreet and wise” by saving up foodstuffs for the whole land of Egypt during a time of plenty. When the land was later struck by famine, Joseph’s actions provided for not only the Egyptians but also his own family.—Genesis 41:33-36.
    Being modest in our consumption can also serve as a protection. We can save money and reduce stress by not constantly pursuing the latest gadget, fashion, or entertainment—a course that adds little or nothing to our genuine security. In fact, as already noted, the more material possessions a person has, the greater the possibility of suffering theft or loss.—Luke 12:15.

*** w94 4/1 p. 18 par. 12 Are You Resisting the Spirit of the World? ***
    12 The spirit of this world also stimulates materialism. Encouraged by the commercial world, many are obsessed with the latest gadget, the latest fashion, the latest model car. They are enslaved by “the desire of the eyes.” (1 John 2:16) Most measure their success in life by the size of their house or their bank account. Christians, breathing clean spiritual air on the elevated mountain of Jehovah’s pure worship, resist this inclination. They know that a determined pursuit of material things can be ruinous. (1 Timothy 6:9, 10) Jesus reminded his disciples: “Even when a person has an abundance his life does not result from the things he possesses.”—Luke 12:15.

*** w02 9/1 pp. 30-31 How Should We View Trials? ***
    Our humility could likewise be tested. How? Well, how do we react to organizational refinements? (Isaiah 60:17) Do we give wholehearted support to the preaching and teaching work? (Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20) Do we eagerly accept explanations of Bible truth as provided by “the faithful and discreet slave”? (Matthew 24:45-47; Proverbs 4:18) Do we resist pressure to have the latest gadget, the latest fashion, or the newest model automobile? A humble person will be able to say yes to such questions.—1 Peter 1:14-16; 2 Peter 3:11.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's not hypocrisy -- there was simply no good use to which to put such a device until jw.org and the JW apps came along

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I wonder how my Aunt and Uncle are coping with all this technology . They are in their late 70's have always been poor ,but he has always been an Elder and both pioneered on and off for years. They don't even have a computer or internet . I can't imagine they can afford an ipad ....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit