'Trusted' Jehovah’s Witness ‘raped and sexually abused girls’

by cliff 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cliff
    cliff
    'Trusted' Jehovah’s Witness ‘raped and sexually abused girls’

COURT: Barry Furlong arrives at Bournemouth Crown Court

COURT: Barry Furlong arrives at Bournemouth Crown Court

First published Tuesday 9 December 2014 in News by Jane Reader

A TRUSTED senior figure in Bournemouth Jehovah’s Witness community raped and sexually abused children over a period of nearly 17 years, a court heard yesterday.

Barry Furlong, a former fireman, attacked four girls – the youngest aged just five – who didn’t report what had happened to them for many years because they feared they would not be believed, Bournemouth Crown Court was told.

Now 69-year-old, Furlong, of Keeble Crescent, Kinson, is accused of four charges of rape, four of indecent assault and six of indecency with a child, alleged to have been committed between December 1979 and November 1996.

He denies all of the charges.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Mark Worsley said Furlong, a father-of-two, held a top position as Ministerial Servant at the time of the offences.

A jury of six men and six women was told: “The allegations take place in the context of the Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Kinson at the time in Bournemouth.

“When a person gets to that level, the abused children found it impossible at the time to disclose what had happened to them.

“Why would anyone believe what they had to say against the word of a trusted man like Barry Furlong?”

Mr Worsley stressed it was not a trial about Jehovah’s Witnesses but “a trial about a number of children within that context”.

The jury was told that it would hear from one victim who claims that she was 10 years old when she was sexually assaulted.

Mr Worsley said: “He told her not to tell anyone else or she would not get into the New Order, a term for a kind of heaven. She didn’t tell anyone because the defendant had told her not to.”

Speaking of the alleged victim of the offences of rape, Mr Worsley added: “He was a pillar of the community – who would believe her? She also felt ashamed that this was happening to her. She knew what he was doing was not right.”

The trial continues.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11655591._Trusted__Jehovah___s_Witness____raped_and_sexually_abused_girls___/

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow, yet another.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

This sort of thing needs wide exposure. There's a pioneer woman in the cong. I attend that is constantly harping on the Catholics for their issues with abuse, always in an us vs. them sort of way. The typical JW is unaware of the magnitude of this within their own organization.

• gda
    gda

anyway to get wide news coverage?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Mr Worsley stressed it was not a trial about Jehovah’s Witnesses but “a trial about a number of children within that context”.

He fails to see one is the cause of the other due to WT's policies.

To read more accurately, it should say:

"Mr Worsley stressed it [is] a trial about Jehovah’s Witnesses Watchtower but and “a trial about a number of children within that context”.

• happy@last
    happy@last

So sad for the survivors, thinking of them during the trial. It proves that JWs have provided shelter to pedos for a long time.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Where is Johnamos... what would he say to defend this monster and blame it on the parents?

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I hope standing up to someone they feared for years will give them some closure. My thoughts are with them during this very stressful time.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My wife "woke up" because of the paedophile issue. When she spoke with her mother, a devout hard-core Witness [as my wife had been until then], said that it was all lies spread out by apostates. Then my wife pointed out that the information she gathered came from respected news outlets, not apostate websites. Again, her mother said that the media was biased against the Witnesses and the Organization, was being used by Satan, the journalists were lying ... then my wife pointed out: "But I remember clearly that, every time there were news about cases of paedophilia within the Catholic Church, you would nod and say that it was evidence that they were a false religion. So, what gives? The journalists are telling the truth when it comes to the Catholic Church, but are telling lies when it comes to the Jehovah's Witnesses?"

"Of course they are", she said. "Do you realize that what you're saying makes no sense at all?", my wife replied. "Satan is obviously driving the media to badmouth Jehovah's people", she replied.

Cult mentallity at its worst.

Eden

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Wow Eden, that is taking 'special pleading' to another level!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit