Are you an "out of the closet" atheist?

by rebel8 33 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I'm at a stage of my life and thinking where I struggle to define what exactly is that I believe in.

If I was to coin a term, I would resort to latin: 'maius aliquid', meaning "something greater". It's not the empirical knowledge that God(s) exists or doesn't exist; [theism / atheism]; it's not faith in the existence of that divinity without needing verifiable evidence; it's not a statement that God, if indeed exists, it's unknowable. [agnosticism]; it's not indifference towards the issue of God's existence [apatheism] either. It's a rejection of the most tradicional, religious views of the deity, but also a rejection of pure atheism. It is, more than anything, a feeling. A feeling that something greater than us probably exists, although we can't be certain of what/who it is, if it necessitates our worship or service, or even if it cares for us or is able and willing to do something for us.

The perception that most human beings, unlike any other species on earth, feels the impulse, even the need, to be a part of something greater than themselves, that, if known, would impart our lives with profound meaning and purpose, is the foundation of that undefined belief in the maius aliquid. I think that someday I'll further elaborate on this notion, but for now, it's what best applies to me. Perhaps it is a form of modern spiritual deism. I wonder if others here feel the same way.

Eden

• LV101
    LV101

Yes, what rebel8 is saying, "it is so politically incorrect." I only know of a couple of people here who admit to being atheists.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah dear Eden ! I think you have expressed the feelings of so many people, a good number of them perhaps self-identifying as Atheists !

I have not actually met a person that fits what I think you mean by "pure Atheist" which is someone who denies totally the possibility of "something greater".

I am sure there are a good few in existence, but all the non-Theists I have met have been open to the idea that there is possibly "something greater".

Richard Dawkins says as much, though his "something greater" is other life forms elsewhere in the Universe.

The feeling that "this is not all there is, is it ?" is common to mankind, and therefore all sorts of stories were concocted to fill the gap where no firm knowledge or empirical proof exists.

I think this is an interesting area for debate and interchange of ideas, but I think it is silly to waste your life waiting for that "something greater" to manifest itself, or waste it hoping for a better time in the next life, which may in fact not exist.

• ivanatahan
    ivanatahan

I agree with Terry 100%. I'm neither an atheist nor a theist, I don't believe in evolution nor creationism. I believe that I simply can't believe in any specific idea because any idea could be true. I simply don't know.

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I'm agnostic but I don't really share my religious opinions with anybody because it usually ends up in me revealing that I used to be a JW. I'd rather just pretend I never was and not say anything. Most people don't change their religious beliefs regardless of what you have to say anyway.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You don't have to believe in Evolution. Belief is trusting that something is true with no evidence or facts. The evidence for Evolution is un-arguable.

There are no facts or evidence of a satisfactory nature to support Creationism of any colour.

Yes, at present we do not know for sure how the Universe and life within it got started, though great strides in gaining such knowledge have been made, but our lack of knowledge is not the same as ignorance.

As has been pointed out above, we here in the U.K can call ourselves an Atheist without fear, but I do not like to do so with a lot of people because they make assumptions based upon the label that are not my position at all.

I do shout from the rooftops that I have no time for organised religion of any kind.

• cofty
    cofty

In the UK it's more sociually awkward to be religious than to be an atheist.

I disagree we can't know things for sure. Of course we can. Evolution is a brilliant example of something we can KNOW is true for a certainty.

We can totally disprove any specific god you wish to posit one at a time.

If somebody believes in a big, all-inclusive, nebulous, god-like thing then that't a different topic.

• new light
    new light

From time to time I publically express my disdain for organized religion and the "holy books." I tend not to trampled on pure belief in God, because that is so subjective and my disbelief is simply based on lack of evidence.

• Island Man
    Island Man

"I'm atheist and not ashamed of it. However, it is so politically incorrect, especially where I live. I have a legitimate concern that being out of the closet too much will hurt my career or neighborly relations--I know for a fact it probably would.

I'm really cautious about who I tell."

I'm just like you rebel8.

• rebel8
    rebel8

REBEL8 - maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you lived in NYC

I lived in New York State, not NYC. Bad enough there--lots of Catholic conservatives and your career goes further if you say you're Catholic too. In fact, I attended Mass in the chapel at my work (hosptial) many times, and it was a networking opportunity. I had a boss who did novenas with me, at her request. I am not kidding. It's totally inappropriate, but there you go.

Now I live elsewhere and it's a different flavor of religion but more widespread and extreme. People seem to mind their own business a little more here, but they have more fundie views and it's socially acceptable to consider atheists demonic, evil, etc. I've seen it on resumes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit