Does What We Say Here Or In Person Really Help JWs To Get Out Of The Religion?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

Lurked here for 5 years before registering as a member.

The legal and financial threads caught my attention.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I lurked on this site for about 7 years before taking definitive actions. However, I must admit that what truly did it was the simple question from Raymond Franz's book: Who is the bad christian, the one who questions a teaching, or the one that throws out and calls names his brother for questioning him on anything at all?

It was very simple, but enough for me to understand that what truly matters is love, not details. With the WT, its the other way around.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Who is the bad christian, the one who questions a teaching, or the one that throws out and calls names his brother for questioning him on anything at all?

Like, like a lot.

• TJ Brother
    TJ Brother

I do not speak english. But there is the google translator . yessss ...

I am an a Elder . Yesterday gave them privileges. I did it because of what I read in CoC and ISCF and from what I read in this and other forums .I can feel the beginning of Christian Freedom . Technically still a JW but no longer a slave to GB.

TKS

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Good for you, TJ!! One big step closer to freedom.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

minimus - "Do our comments on this board affect Witnesses to the point of questioning their faith?"

Not to brag, but I've had the occasional lurker register just to send me PMs expressing thanks for my posts.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

It's definitely helping me, I'm only been here a month and I'm kind of addicted.

When you start to doubt you feel like you're going insane, the cognitive dissonance pulls you back in to the guilty fog and you question if you are doing something terrible by even asking these questions. Here you find people who feel/or felt like you do and came out the other side, you also find out that a lot of ex jws are kind, 'Christian' (in the way they act even if non believers) and supportive (not evil apostates!)

You get reinforcement for your own issues but also get a chance to reconsider points you never even would have questioned because of the indoctrination. Also it's so refreshing to see the different &conflicting opinions expressed freely! Funny too at times.

having said all that I agree that for the sake of newbies just daring to lurk, older posters shouldn't be too harsh about the org, it can be an instant turnoff if you are only just starting to question things and you read something abusive or very irreverent. What you need is an honest examination of the facts, which is why I think jwfacts is so powerful too.

Anyway, thanks everyone, this forum is helping me right now.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    No, talking with a witness that are all in, is like talking to a wall. they exhibit no reasoning ability and are combative. it's a cult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

i want to expound this fact...if a person is here on the site. that person is treading on dangerous ground. either they will accept things has they really are or they will suffer cognitive disonance the rest of there lives.

but, let this fact be made...one there eyes are open....there is no way of shutting back off.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had wanted to start a thread like this one, but found that Min's thread was current. You all know how my greatest quality is humility, but I have to toot my own horn to make this point.

I mostly post on this forum for self-therapy. (Apparently, I still need quite a bit.) Recently, another fader said this to me in a text:
    "Just wanted to remind you to keep it up! You're more help to more people than you realize."

That fader couldn't really know how "more people" are helped, but it indicated that I've helped make a difference in one person's life.

I wrote a book for my own therapy, and it greatly helped me. I self-published it on Amazon secretly (http://www.amazon.com/Fade-Truth-Learning-Unlearning-Witnesses/dp/147523001X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432912259&sr=1-1&keywords=Fade+from+the+truth ) because my JW wife was too highly upset by the idea of me actually putting such a book on the shelf in Barnes and Noble. The reason I put it on Amazon was to help even one person. I set the price as low as could be because it wasn't about money. I think I made $400 in the years it's been available.
    Anyway, I have met more than one person who thanked me and said it made a difference to them.

If not for these people, I wouldn't have thought I was making a difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit