I just had fun giving a talk!

by OneEyedJoe 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Joe ! I did a similar thing in what was then the Group Study a few months before I left. I explained about the WT being an N.G.O and gave a lame excuse for their action so as not to seem an Apostate.

I hoped someone would take the implications on board, but I don't think any of them did.

It was fun to do though.

Another subversive thing I did was when taken on a "Bible Study" I extolled the virtues of being what I called a "Scientific Christian", saying that it was vital the guy questioned everything, demanded proper evidence, and took nothing on trust, I said " this is the only way to make the truth your own".

The M.S taking the "study" looked at me a bit old fashioned but had to nod in agreement. I hope the guy "studying" took the advice and left.

• Perry
    Perry

I'm still on the TMS and had a talk tonight (in front of a CO, no less) and the talk was on the subject of adultery.

Ten years after leaving the WT and attending a bible believing church, I have yet to hear a sermon on "Adultery". Why do JW's have to be continually reminded of things that EVERYBODY (even the world in this case) agrees is wrong?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I did the same during the bible highlights the other week.

I highlighted the petty mindedness of the supposed god who condemns everyone and everything in the most violent and elaborate manner in the chapters of Deuteronomy.....(blessings vs judgements etc....)

I simply said. "Brothers and sisters, critics of the bible often point to such graphic and detailed sections of the scriptures as proof that god is not in fact "love". If such comments are made to us, how would we defend these sections of scripture? Have we prepared ourselves to do so?"

• likeabird
    likeabird

Hmmm... "Fun" and "giving a talk" don't seem meant for the same sentence! Lol!

My last talk or possibly talks while still in yet awake were definitely prepared in less than ten minutes. I also made sure to add some special "A" sauce to them!

• mrquik
    mrquik

I had to cover the MS one night. The guy who had the instruction talk forgot he had that assignment. The way it worked was if a student forgot, the guy conducting had to fill in. The material that night was fairly deep & I hadn't looked at it as this brother always was prepared. As the song began Bill says to me he'll handle it. He had like 4 minutes to come up with 20 minutes of material. To this day I'll never forget Bill walking on the stage & delivering a flawless presentation. He even went over time. No one knew but me. This was the same guy who fell asleep in first row at the elders' schools. Way too smart. Of course, he's gone now with so many others. Miss you Bill...

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

assigned a talk durning the visit of the C.O. ...... is there an appointment for OneEyedJoe in the near future?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Hmmm... "Fun" and "giving a talk" don't seem meant for the same sentence! Lol!

Yep, I have to say this is the absolute first time in 20 years of being on the "school" that I actually enjoyed giving a talk.

assigned a talk durning the visit of the C.O. ...... is there an appointment for OneEyedJoe in the near future?

LOL! Nope, I don't think so. My 2 hours a month in serve-us doesn't seem adequate. The school overseer is well known to be exceptionally lazy about the scheduling. He basically has an excel spreadsheet that picks people from his list and assigns them talks in sequence - I always know when I have a talk coming up because I'm after a friend of mine in the list.

A fun side-effect of this is that you sometimes get a 12 year old kid doing a talk on very adult subject matter. He doesn't bother to even look at the schedule to make sure that the talks are appropriate for the person giving them.

• jws
    jws

Perry wrote:

Ten years after leaving the WT and attending a bible believing church, I have yet to hear a sermon on "Adultery". Why do JW's have to be continually reminded of things that EVERYBODY (even the world in this case) agrees is wrong?

I would guess that the so-called Bible-belt is probably where most of this adultery is happening. Maybe they should talk about it a little more. Also seems to be a correlation to higher teen pregnancies in the bible belt as well.

Or start teaching real sex ed like birth control. And stop getting in a fuss every time a school wants to teach your kids about it.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    "I took the opportunity to throw in a comment about how some religious organizations today even have close ties to the scarlet colored wild beast from revelation - the UN - and we would want to make sure that we are not sinning against god by being involved with such an organization."

Thanks for the laugh. I can certainly see thought going through the CO's head, "If this guy only knew the truth of the matter."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

It would be awesome giving talk while knowing TTATT. If I went back they would follow me around the hall listening to every word that came out of my mouth probably for years before i was given a privilege.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit