What are the Core Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by cultBgone 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Recently someone asked me to define what core teachings have such a hold on jdubs that they have trouble breaking free. Trying to single out the driving force that keeps them in the bOrg, this is what popped into my head:

Obviously there are lots and lots of wacky things the jdubs teach/believe/pretend to believe.

But their view of the world is what keeps them going - There is Good. There is Evil. You are either FOR god or FOR satan. The end.

Believing that THEY are the ONLY ones god loves (because they preach and turn in their hours every month), they truly believe that every other person on earth is (a) evil, (b) out to get them, (c) immoral/drug dealing/promiscuous/etc, and (d) either blindly or willingly following satan, who god created as a brilliant angel but he was jealous of god and wanted everyone to worship HIM, so he convinced a bunch of other angels to come to earth with him (lots more to THAT story). Hence, they do not associate with (gasp!) *worldly* people. And the only thing worse than a *worldly* person is a fallen jdub. Because obviously, if you KNOW "the truth" (as they call it), and then you leave, you are turning your back on god and running into the evil den of satan and his demonic hoardes.

And SOOOOOOOOOOOON (it's always soon), armageddon will happen which is god's war against all the wicked kings of the earth blah blah and EVERYONE who is NOT a practicing JW will DIE at god's hand. Even babies and old people.

Then the JWs will "inherit" the earth and live happily forever and ever, amen. And yes, they actually do talk about which houses they will "claim" when they are out "preaching".

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Is that a fairly concise explanation? Isn't this really what keeps JWs motivated? --> Paradise dangling at the end of the carrot string.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

What you say has been true in the past, but essentially all of the above has been replaced by one dictum:

"Listen [to the Governing Body], obey [the Governing Body] and be blessed [by the Governing Body]".

Amen.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Shirley, you beat me to it!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yours is a pretty good summary.

Stick with that. Maybe add that their view of living forever on earth is mostly of taking over mansions and picking wild fruit all day with children kicking balls against the side of elephants and playing with lions- like a Disney or "G" rated version of the 70-virgins-rewards for Islamic martyrs.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The "driving force that keeps them in the Borg" is Fear.

We all know what that Fear entails.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The wtbts, i.e. jw's have no CORE teachings. What ever they 'make up' (nu-lite) as they go along perpetuating the org. is their core teaching. Their core teachings are core-rupt for sure!

just sayin!

eyeuse2badub

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

What are the Core Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses?

I've thought about this a lot and this is what I have come up with as their real core beliefs that cannot be changed:

1) They are God's one true religion

2) They are united (all believe the same thing, do the same thing, say the same thing -religiously speaking)

All other beliefs held by the JWs can, and do, change.

This is not a problem because changing beliefs about anything (like generation of 1914 etc) does not violate the two core beliefs.

Even when JWs believe different things (different levels of shunning for families, etc) they are all united in saying "it is a conscience matter!" No JW may openly have a different belief than the group on non-conscience matters.

• Island Man
    Island Man

The Core teachings that have a hold on JWs:

~ Only JWs have the true religion.

You're not really a christian if you're not a JW. It is assumed that you're in a false religion if you're not a JW. Having an approved relationship with God necessitates being a JW. To leave the JW religion is equated with leaving God. It does not matter how scriptural your religious beliefs are. It does not matter how clean your life is. As long as you're not a JW it is assumed that you're in need of "The Truth". JWs are it and everyone else is s#it! If you're not a JW you have no valid hope of surviving Armageddon. Buying into this crap causes you to be enslaved to the JW religion. You can see the many errors in the relgion and think to yourself: "where else am I to go? Who else has the truth? I'm going to stay and 'wait on Jehovah'"

~ Christ's presence started invisibly in 1914.

This is perhaps the teaching that is most unique or peculiar to JWs. The outbreak of WWI in 1914 gives JWs teh false impression that they accurately predicted the date of 1914. WWI serves as a false confirmation of an otherwise kooky doctrine. 1914 is used as the starting point of christ's presence and the last days. Coupled with the "this generation" teaching it serves to stir up fear of the imminence of the end. Wow! It's been a whole century since the last days begun. "'This generation' is well along in years - the end must be so, so, so close now! Now is not the time to slow down in the preaching work or stop serving Jehovah! I don't want to be found outside the organization and the end come suddently and catch me by surprise!"

~ The JW organization is God's spirit directed organization.

This teaching is used to imbue the organization with divine authority so that all JWs will submit to its teachings and organizational direction with the same unconditional obedience and loyalty that one is supposed to give to God himself. The direction coming from the organization is often spoken of as coming from Jehovah. To disobey the organization is to disobey Jehovah. To leave the organization is to leave Jehovah. Who would dare to spurn almight God himself?

~ The leadership of the JW organization was appointed as the faithful and discreet slave by Christ.

This teaching serves a similar function as the preceding one - it is used to imbue the Governing Body with exclusive divine authority. Disobey the Governing Body and it's as if you're disobeying Jesus and Jehovah. Refuse to accept a teaching printed in the literatue and its as if you're refusing to comply with the divine arrangement to be fed with food at the proper time by the 'faithful and discreet slave'. "The reason I don't understand this new teaching is that I just need to study the Watchtower publications more. I have not been feeding enough on the food provided by the faithful and discreet slave so my powers of spiritual discernment have gotten a little dull. It's all my fault - not that the teaching is wrong. And even if it were it would be no reason to not loyally go along with the divinely constituted 'faithful and discreet slave' arrangement - Jehovah would offer clarification in time if needed."

~ JWs are to be no part of the world.

JWs are encouraged to loathe the world. Non-JWs are religous slurred with the term "worldly". If you are not a JW then by default you are "worldy" and "bad association" to be avoided as much as is practically possible. JWs are not to express any political opinions or get involved in any social issues or controversies of the world. If slavery were still legal, JWs would not be allowed to campaign against it! JWs are not to follow fashion trends or fads - even if the fashion is not inherently immodest in and of itself. Being different to everyone else is seen as a noble end in and of itself. They refuse to use the religous jargon of other denominations - "grace", "bishop", "church", etc are words they refuse to use in relation to their own religion. They even refuse to observe holidays that do not have any religious or pagan origins. The slightest hint of historical assocation with pagan practices - however vague and however speculative - is used as an excuse to refrain from otherwise perfectly innocuous activities. They look for any and every excuse to be different by refraining from activities engaged in by the majority. Being no part of the world is taken to extreme heights of self-righteousness not seen since the time of the pharisees. All of this serves to imbue the JW with a sense of self-righteous separateness from everyone else and allows them to lump everyone else in the same derogatory category of "the world".

~ Preaching house to house is a must for all christians that are able to.

"Who else is doing the preaching work?" When a JW asks this question, know that he's referring specifically to preaching from house to house. They see this specific method of preaching as being a must for all true christians. Their feeling is, if you're not doing this specific method of preaching then you're not fulfilling the commision to preach. They make the unsubstantiated assertion that Jesus and the apostles preached from house to house. Strangely, they can't find a single scripture with a detailed description of Jesus or any of this apostles systematically going from door to door preaching to strangers (Acts 20:20 and Acts 5:42 are not conclusive, as they could just as easily be a reference to early congregation meetings which were held in the houses of various believers.). Instead the bible is filled with fairly detailed accounts of public preaching. John 18:20 even quotes Jesus himself as saying that he always preached publicly! But the deluded JW thinks to himself that JWs must be the true religion because they alone are going from house to house.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The GB are God's Earthly representatives, and should thusly be obeyed without question.

Everything else is gravy.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Recently someone asked me to define what core teachings have such a hold on jdubs that they have trouble breaking free.

i think for me it was the two groups, the anointed. Matthew 25:40 (i think)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit