A Religious Quest

by ReligiousQuest 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I think we are still capable of saying what the JW beliefs are though.

The last question about whether we have ever questioned the teachings and what would happen if / when we did would be the most likely to be skewed.

That is why most of us are here !

• J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED

What are the most important lessons other people can receive from Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Should I say you're "Preachin' to the Wrong Choir" or more so "Barkin' up the Wrong Tree".

There is absolutely fuckin' nothing good about the J-Dub Club......................Now write that in your paper.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello Religious Quest,

Fred Franz, who was Vice President of The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society aka Jehovah's Witnesses, at the time I am relating, (later to become the President of WTBTS) told a trusted friend that when he was visiting your church, The Vatican in Rome, he gathered his group of JW's together and said, "Let's bow our heads in prayer". Then he said everyone was a bit puzzled that Fred wanted to say a prayer in your Church, but okay, it was Fred Franz, the VP of all JW's worldwide. After everyone had bowed their heads, he said, "God damn this place to hell". Everyone with him said amen out loud, then they all started laughing.

I was raised as one of JW's. I was taught to hate Catholics, no, not from my parents, but from the WT Society through their public talks and public literature.

I was also taught to hate homosexuals, again, not from my parents, but through the WT Society aka JW.org, through their public talks and through their public literature.

I was taught, through indoctrination by the WT aka JW.org not to date unbelievers. To date or marry an unbeliever was considered to be bad and evil.

I was taught that to please God, that I was to be a virgin on my wedding night. To do otherwise, might condemn me to die at the fearful Armageddon.

I was taught that God hates a divorcing and that only "spiritually weak" JW's sought a divorce from Caesar's Court's.

I was taught that as a female, I had to be in subjection to all baptized males, especially my husband. I was there to serve him.

At the age of 62, separated from my JW (Elder) husband, I secretly read the forbidden book, Crisis of Conscience by former JW governing body member Ray Franz. I read through the night and the next morning at 5AM, LoisLane was out.

LoisLane

PS I too, have visited The Vatican. It is a beautiful jewel, inside and out. I paid the ticket price to go down into the basement to look at some of the past Pope's robes, jewelry, shoes, hats, golden drinking cups, all encrusted in big precious jewels, etc. It was a fabulous display of wealth. The whole Vatican country was a huge display of Catholic wealth. It hurt me to think I had traveled to 3rd world countries, which were Catholic controlled ones, and to see so much poverty among the people and yet the Priests, in their finery, were telling their 'people' to buy candles, and to give the Church money to pray for their loved ones to get out of the man made up purgatory (which was just one way to fool the humble people into giving up their hard earned cash). In some areas, you have to pay yearly for your loved ones in their Catholic church controlled cemeteries. If you don't keep up your yearly payment, out comes the grave, and the Church gets it ready for the next paying "customer".

Now that I am out of JW.org and all religions, I am so happy every day. Even though WT aka JW.org took a huge slice of my life, what time I have left, is my own. I have never felt such peace and happiness, as I do now.

I wish you well in your life's journey.

LL

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Are the scriptures and literature of the Jehovah’s Witnesses open for interpretation and criticism? Has there been a time where you yourself have questioned the teachings or scriptures? If yes, can you be specific about what you have questioned?

The scriptures and literature of JWs are absolutely NOT open for interpretation and criticism. Criticism, or even just asking questions, is considered rebellious and can lead to your being called an apostate. Apostates are shunned and condemned.

I never questioned the teachings until I had been out of the Watchtower Society for a while. I quit going because I was overwhelmed, worn out and depressed. Once I had some space to think for myself, I realized that I didn't believe any of their doctrines. I'm an atheist -- because of the fossil record and DNA mostly, but also because the whole idea of god seems ridiculous.

I don't know that my answers are very helpful. You might want to contrast our answers with answers from those who are still true believers. Maybe post your questions on some JW facebook page? I think the contrast might be very interesting.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    "...you should be aware that this is a forum populated 99% by former or non-believing Witnesses. You're not going to get many people willing to advocate for the religion. You'll probably get honest answers to your questions, albeit with a heavy tinge of bitterness, but if you're looking for active, believing Witnesses then you will have a hard time finding them there."

Please note that while we strive to maintain a level of professionalism and common courtesy we reserve the right to trash the Watchtower Society and Tract for their deceitful and unsuspecting ways of luring people while at their lowest morale state. Therefore, please carefully read the above noted fine print.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

What are the most important lessons other people can receive from Jehovah’s Witnesses?

They are far more dangerous and destructive then their shiny outward appearance would ever indicate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit