A Religious Quest

by ReligiousQuest 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ReligiousQuest
    ReligiousQuest

Hello everyone,

My name is Louie and I'm seeking some help regarding a paper I need to write for a class. It is meant to be an individual study project regarding a faith that is different from your own and intrigues you. What I am asking is for someone who is willing to answer 10-15 questions regarding their faith. I was raised Roman Catholic, but abandoned my faith as a teenager. I have always been interested in the teachings of other religions and it is among the reasons why I remain "faithless." Jehovah's Witnesses have always intrigued me as well because I grew up in a household where they were villainized unjustly. A warning ahead of time, the questions I'm asking are not intended to offend, but I am asking questions about "touchier" subjects regarding your faith.

Thank you.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi and welcome. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here to help you with your study project.

I'm curious by your statement " I grew up in a household where they were villainized unjustly". Can you provide some more context here?

• Simon
    Simon

Many JWs were brought up being fed a diet of how evil catholicism was. I believe it was done because a large part of their recruiting in the early days was aimed at disaffected catholics or others from more traditional church establishments. When you are small / new you always take a swing at the establishment to gain initial recruits.

I'm sure we won't be offended by your questions so ask away! :)

• ReligiousQuest
    ReligiousQuest

I'll be sending you both private messages shortly. Thank you.

In regards to it being "villainized," many people I grew up argued that your faith ruined marriages and families among other things. I am sure they were just being bitter because religion is a touchy subject and when someone within a marriage or family decides to follow a different faith relationships are often severed.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

In regards to it being "villainized," many people I grew up argued that your faith ruined marriages and families among other things.

404 unjust criticism not found. They do indeed break up families, ruin marriages and even murder (some might prefer the word "sacrafice") their children due to the non-biblical blood ban.

I'm no longer a believer in the JW faith, but I'd be happy to put my JW hat back on to explain their beliefs if you'd like. I would also be happy to answer questions regarding criticism of the religion as well.

As it so happens, you've come upon a forum that consists mostly of ex-JWs, so while you're likely to recieve much information on the group here, it won't necessarily all reflect the oppinions/thoughts that you'd get from a JW that's still firmly in the religion.

• ReligiousQuest
    ReligiousQuest

I have sent those who were interested in answering the questions through the private messaging platform on this forum. Thank you all so much for helping. I am extremely grateful.

• cofty
    cofty

In regards to it being "villainized," many people I grew up argued that your faith ruined marriages and families among other things.

Guilty as charged.

It's a despicable cult.

• ReligiousQuest
    ReligiousQuest

I will also post the questions here if anyone would like to answer them.

I would like to start off by saying thank you for allowing me to ask you these questions. I want to mention ahead of time that I know very little of your religion. The purpose of this interview is simply for my education. If you feel uncomfortable with any question, you are more than welcomed to not answer. The questions are not intended to offend you in anyway. However, some of the topics being addressed may be controversial but are intended for my education.

In terms of belief, how do Jehovah’s Witnesses differ than other sects of Christianity like the Roman Catholic Church?

I was baptized as a Roman Catholic, but never really practiced. I let go of religion completely as a teenager and now consider myself an Atheist. Everything I know from the Bible has been taught to me in an academic setting. How do Jehovah’s Witnesses approach the Bible? What can I learn from it in your setting that would be different from what I have learned in mine?

How does your place of worship differ from a church? Do you conduct mass on Sundays like other sects of Christianity?

From the observer’s eye, Jehovah’s Witnesses seem to place a lot of importance on the education of those who do not belong to their church. What is the purpose behind the distribution of your literature? Is the literature meant recruit others to the church or simply as a means of education?

In my brief research of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Watch Tower Society was brought up very often. Who is the Watch Tower Society?

There is a huge stigma associated with Jehovah’s Witnesses. In fact, I know very little about your methods of worship beyond the negative stereotypes associated with your religion. Can you comment on these negative stereotypes and how Jehovah Witnesses deal with them?

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the celebrations and holy days other Christians observe? Do you observe any other sort of celebrations or holy days?

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses allow themselves to receive blood transfusions or enlist in the military?

What is your approach to the topics that are often scrutinized in other religions such as divorce, homosexuality, and marrying someone from a different faith?

In some religions, the people who practice are allowed to interpret and criticize religious scriptures to how they see fit. In others, scripture is considered incredibly sacred and cannot be questioned. Are the scriptures and literature of the Jehovah’s Witnesses open for interpretation and criticism? Has there been a time where you yourself have questioned the teachings or scriptures? If yes, can you be specific about what you have questioned?

Final Question

What are the most important lessons other people can receive from Jehovah’s Witnesses?

• cofty
    cofty

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses allow themselves to receive blood transfusions...?

Here you go...

Has there been a time where you yourself have questioned the teachings or scriptures? If yes, can you be specific about what you have questioned?

And this one...

What are the most important lessons other people can receive from Jehovah’s Witnesses?

It's a mind-controlling, family-destroying cult. Avoid it like the plague it is.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

So, uh, ReligiousQuest, you should be aware that this is a forum populated 99% by former or non-believing Witnesses. You're not going to get many people willing to advocate for the religion. You'll probably get honest answers to your questions, albeit with a heavy tinge of bitterness, but if you're looking for active, believing Witnesses then you will have a hard time finding them there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit