How many years will pass before the world recognizes we were right?

by John Aquila 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    Being "right" is a JW mentality. Maybe more deprogramming is needed😏
  • Magnum
    Magnum

I disagree, Joyzabel.

Being "right" is a JW mentality.

What in the world do you mean by that? Are you saying that there's no such thing as a "right" - that nobody can ever be right? If in the standard system of mathematics in use today, if I say "2+2=4", and JWs say "2+2=5", then it could be said that I'm right and they are wrong. So there can be a "right" and a "wrong".

if JWs claim that they are the one and only chosen people of a certain supernatural being, and we say they're not, then either we're right or they are.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    Black and white thinking again. You cannot use mathematics as a comparison to judgemental thinking. Life is never an us vs. them. Only in cults.
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

All of us will be pushing up daises before the b0rg experiences anything looking like a "downfall".

Remember, this bunch has a 140 year track record of getting everything wrong. Some people/groups are Teflon Dons.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    In a hundred years....all new people. Same as what happened between 1914 and today.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    Black and white thinking again

What's wrong with black and white thinking? Are you saying that "black and white thinking" is outlawed - that it's always wrong? If so, I disagree.

What's not black and white about it? The example I gave is black and white. Either JWs are the one and only chosen people of a certain supernatural being or they're not. That's black and white.

It is true that some things are subjective. For example, judging a dog show is subjective. But other things are objective; they're black and white. Deciding who won a footrace is objective. The runners are timed and the one with the lowest time wins. That's black and white.

Life is never an us vs. them. Only in cults.

What??? What does that mean? Of course life is not "an us vs. them", but some things in life are. In a basketball game or a war it can be us vs them. If JWs say they are the one and only chosen people of a certain supernatural being, and we say they're not, that situation can classified as an "us vs them", and either we are wrong or they are. What's not black and white about it?

Are you trying to wax philosophical? If so, you're not making sense.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Black and white thinking again. You cannot use mathematics as a comparison to judgemental thinking

I disagree. Black and white thinking is a phrase, cliche, that is overused with no thought to the fact that life is not just about us vs them, and it not just about cults, but involves other complex interactions between humans that necessitates that a person make judgment calls that involve lives of people.

Seeing to many shades of grey is one of the reasons many people don’t qualify to lead in business. Seeing many shades of grey also causes others to struggle socially. There are so focused on seeing so many different ways that a situation can go that they just can’t decide what action to take. Example; “The tall one, the short one, the blond one the brunette until finally the person winds up alone. Black and white thinking is very necessary in many situations that involve judgmental thinking that affects not only the person making the judgment call but those that will be affected by it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Back to the original topic.

I think that while ever new generation of witnesses appear, that there will always be followers of the faith....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I must admit even when I was indoctrinated that I did realize that there were problems in JW land.It wasn't until I started looking on the net that I realized how big the problem is. For example by observation I knew they were losing the youth, and by the lack luster response out in the territory, that changes were needed. But on the other hand there were things I was completely unaware of e.g The constant need for refurbishments. Sex abuse issues. Simplifications of down sizing. To name just a few.
  • jhine
    jhine

John Aquila , while I agree entirely about JWs and their attitude to Armageddon I know that the vast majority of Christendom have no thoughts about when the end times will be .We are mindful of the scripture , that by coincidence has been quoted on other threads lately , that

" no one knows the hour or the time , only the Father " .

I am surprised that you know Catholics and others who see Jesus coming in their lifetime . Most Christians do not indulge in date making .

And yes the rest of the world , non JWs , have always been aware of the error of the WT in so many ways . Dates , blood , birthdays etc .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit