Pat Condell on Britain's Cultural Crisis

by cofty 60 Replies latest social current

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I totally agree with you, luhe, that the British public are not one monothlithic block. In fact a sort of multiculturalism has always existed in Britain - for example Welsh, Irish, Scots and English which begs the question - what is Britishness/british culture. Indeed present day research shows that ethnic minorities identify most closely with Britishness than those who consider themselves white, or chinese or afro carribean.

here is an interesting stat

In Britain 83% of muslims say they are proud to be British against 79% of the general public

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ruby - I think your interesting stat is also encouraging.

I agree in part about ethnic minorites identifying closely with Britishness - perhaps I should have stated 'recent immigrants from rural Pakistan ...' in my previous post. Older immigrants certainly identify with Britishness, as can be seen in the Indian/Pakistani community's stressing of education + good career, and also in the straight-laced, old-fashioned attitude of older generations of immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean.

My gripe lies with recent immigration policy. John Major's Tory government were quite soft and hopeless concerning immigration, from what I remember. Then New Labour really took dumb immigration policy to new levels of idiocy plus added multiculturalism into the mix - a disastrous combination.

As a result we have FGM, polygamy and heightened terrorist threats that sensible immigration and policy on culture would probably not have allowed.

You seemed you've answered your own question re what is Britishness/British culture - it's made up of Northern Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh culture.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Britishness is not so much about roots as it is about routes although there is interplay between the two.

going back in history it was against war with France that Britishness first defined itself. after that it was via the formation of the British empire that Britishness sought to identify itself and so on. there is constant movement here and a search for routes and roots - unfixed and ever changing. edit: we are only 69 years older than the US

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

it was against war with France that Britishness first defined itself - perhaps, or maybe England just happened to win that particular war. Was the war you had in mind before the uniting of Scotland and Engand? The Scots and French have formed alliances against England in the past, I think.

it was via the formation of the British empire that Britishness sought to identify itself - no, British identity already existed. The Empire sought to force-feed Britishness to aboriginal peoples.

The British Isles consist of Britain and Ireland, therefore Britishness/British culture is made up of Northern Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh cultures. Simples.

I don't think British culture is 'unfixed' but it sure is flexible.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Just curious.... Are the people investigating this in the UK afraid of being labeled racists, or are they just afraid of Muslims in general (as in getting your head chopped off)?

I think the main concern is that they might be banned from the local Bangladeshi take-away...

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

luhe -

The British Isles consist of Britain and Ireland, therefore Britishness/British culture is made up of Northern Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh cultures. Simples.

absolutely - britishness is many cultures - I'm glad we agree on something - now if only the politicians would view it this way and stop telling us that divided we fall - David cameron, john Major, Tony Blair - they have all felt it necessary to warn us of this

edit: off to get a nice Itlian coffee, served by a nice pakistani barista while I enjoy some not so nice British weather

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The men who hijacked the planes on 9/11 set off the alarms at check - in several times in a row. Yet they were let through. I'll wager because the staff didn't want to be accused of racism.

Racial profiling is also condemned by the political correctness people.

Who do you think is most likely to be carrying a bomb to the plane - 23 year old Mohamet Achmed, associated with a militant Mosque, or a little old lady from Wyoming going to NY for the first time in her life? God forbid anybody search Mohamet - strip search the granny - and look inside her prosthetic breast she got after cancer.

The problem in Britain is that the liberal laws are being used against the indigenous population - who are referred to in some muslim circles as "the Natives".

Nothing is done when young muslim men follow a european girl calling her "white bitch" or "infidel whore" on the the streets of Bradford. Yet a white guy being beaten up by asian thugs in London was jailed for 7 years because he shouted at them in the middle the assault "you black bastards!"

Not one arrest is made of demonstrators shouting "death to America!" "Nuke Denmark" "death to Rushdie" - even though they are "inciting to violence" under the law. The police arrested those opposing the demonstrators.

Just a couple of sad facts behind this crisis, as Britain becomes a suburb in the Caliphate of Eurabia.

• Ruby456
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

How does it feel to "feel British" ? What is "Britishness" ?

The guys doing the surcvey you link to Ruby seem very confused :

" while within the majority white population many maintain strong non-British identities, such as Scots or Welsh.”

I think by "British" they may mean English ???

I am an Englishman by birth, I do not consider myself "British", the other countries of the U.K are different in so many ways, I do not have any antipathy to them, but I am not part of them.

I always feel that British has just one letter different to Brutish.

It was the British that did so much wrong in Colonial days, it is Brits who get us a bad reputation abroad, a number of these "Brits" (Brutes) were born in England, but they are not my kind of Englishman.

I am pleased that many of those of Ethnic groups who have relatively recently become U.K citizens, perhaps 2nd and 3rd generation people particularly, are feeling they are more rooted here than where their parents or grandparents came from.

The more they all feel at home here, the less likely they are to be radicalised.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting link, Ruby.

However, that article must be put into context.

The 2011 Tottenham riots saw widespread looting and arson - is this a typically British thing to do?

In recent years, poppy burnings by muslim extremists have happened. Is this a British thing to do?

Depending on which source is most accurate, between 500 and 1500 muslims have travelled to Syria/Iraq to participate in jihad, beheadings, buying of women slaves and genocide. Are these typically British acts?

In Britain, we have the Black Police Association and the Muslim Police Association. Is this arrangement British?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit