college education=spiritual weakness?

by twvsnt 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• logansrun
    logansrun

Nadsam,

Then I said no ma'am ! I got out, got a degree, a six figure income, BEEmer, house with a pool....and a life !

Would I be prying if I asked what you do for a living?

B.

• Who cares
    Who cares

I have been a JW my whole life and went to college and earn a six figure income. I have been an MS for almost 20 years. I used to travel a lot for work. I wouldn't care what anyone says. I went in the late 70/early 80s. My only regret is I didn't go to law school like another family member. I am just a CPA.

Go and you really must not care what people think.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Hi tw,

Welcome to the board. You sound like an open-minded person, and that's great. Don't let anyone convince you that bettering yourself through higher ed. is the wrong thing to do. I was a single sister living at home while I attended university: it was the best thing I could have done. Not only are you learning, but you are preparing youself for higher earnings in the future (which it appears you realize). You will have much more varied job opportunity in the future: so YOU can decide what you want to do, instead of being forced to take jobs that require no university education.

I understand the pressure you are under. I remember working on university assignments while pioneers were visiting our home (my mother was a pioneer), and bascially being told what I was doing was wrong. I didn't believe them then, and I am certain they were wrong now. Basically, I had to fight for the right to attend university. When I left home, I went to graduate school to get further education: it helped open even more doors for me.

To me, pursing a college education shows personal, spiritual, and character strength.

What helped me was to think about this: if you had a child, would you want him/her to get the best education they could? To have a well-paying job to support themselves? If you would want it for your child, you should want it for yourself!

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

ok, this thread is so old that I don't think he's ever going to see this response, but here's what I think...

if they'd only recall that wathchtower a few years ago that said that it was okay to go to college as long it was so that you can serve God more fully without ecomomic problems holding you back

They may tell you all these reasons not to go, but what they don't tell you is you're really on your own financially and if 20 or 30 years down the road (gasp! the new system isn't here yet?) you can't make it financially, you won't get a formal apology. Nobody will feel sorry for you.

What it comes down to is this is your decision and yours alone. They get frustrated they can't do anything, really, to stop you from going to college, so they go overboard with the pressure tactics they use to dissuade you from going. But at the same time they'll tell you that it's your own responsibility to make a living. So if it's your responsibility, then you should make all the decisions relating to it, because you will be the one to either benefit from this decision or not.

It's just like when a sister told me I am not allowed to have a 2 door sports car, I asked her if she was gonna pay for my car? no? well then, she didn't get to make any decisions relating to it then, was she?

My 2 cents.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I was raised as a witness and NEVER had any encouragement to go to college because "Armageddon's at hand". After I got married I realized that I would have to have some formal education to raise my family appropriately. I opted for a two-year degree in the medical field. I received much the same criticism that you have and was counseled about 'putting Jehovah first'. I told them that would be hard to do if I would have to work 24/7 to pay my bills. I have never regretted once my decision. I went on to get my bachelor's degree and then my Master's in Business and have never looked back. I think a big reason that the elders don't want you to do this (or others in the congregation) is because education is knowledge which = power. They don't want you to be more educated then them, or may feel resentful because THEY have never gone to college. A college education teaches you to think for yourself and they don't want that. Why do they not understand that many times you have to put in more hours at a lower-paying job then if you spent a few years getting an education and could then work a 'normal' work week.

I also agree with the post about being a single mother after a divorce. This happens so much that I always tell ANYONE I know who is female and has the opportunity to get an education!! If I had not, because I was convinced that "Armageddon was near", I would have spent the last 15 years of my life struggling every day to simply make ends meet. Instead, I've had a rewarding career in health care and now health care administration where I help people every day. I never regret going to school. I would have regretted for the rest of my life letting a bunch of self-righteous, controlling, narrow-minded individuals keep me from advancing myself. Not everyone wants to be a window-washer or janitor. That doesn't make you materialistic. Being intelligent and wanting something more is not something to be ridiculed, except by those who will not or cannot think on their own and pursue what they want to do.

I've been out for 10 years, and I won't tell you what to do, but DO NOT put your future on hold. Go to school now while you can, unencumbered by a husband or kids. It gets a whole lot harder then....

• franklin J
    franklin J

hi twvsnt

welcome to the forum. My advice to you is STAY IN SCHOOL and complete your education. It will be the single most VALUBLE thing you will do for yourself and your future.

I have been there; done that. I left a full time pioneering postition and ministerial servant position to attend college full time when I was 21 years old ---and it eventually led to my leaving that religion because back in 1977 they did not want to tolerate a young person who would think so independently. In hindsite it is the best thing I ever did. Conicidently, I studied Architecture and became an Architect. My experience has taught me that if you can think it; you can do it.

If you still want to pursue the "Watchtower" way of life; do it after your education. Believe me; they ( The Watchtower and its rank and file) will respect you more with and education and financial viability.

Do not let them rob you of your future. Be the best you can be, and finish that education. You will not regret it.

regards, Frank

• bebu
    bebu

Is this a recently begun post? It looks like a resurrected one by the date of the first post.

But it is an interesting thread, nonetheless.

bebu

• David2002
    David2002

TWVSNT,

I came into the Truth in the late 1980's. And every summer there was a party for graduates done by the local congregations. It included graduates from Jr. High School, High School -- and college. I myself attended college and there were some in the congregation who encouraged me to continue my studies. I only recalled one brother, a bethelite, who appeared judgmental, asking if I am going to college to make money. ( I said I was mainly going to get a good education, and secondly to support myself and potential future family.) Through the years I always knew young Witnesses that attended college. Even in a district assembly, they had a young women talk about how she manages her university study with her pioneering. Sure there were some admonitions about college education - there has been rare cases in which some have been influenced to believe in evolution, and even becoming atheits. So they would warn about that. They strongly recommended that if one decided to go to college that it would be best that they stay home with their parents, if at all possible, when pursuing their studies. I really finded surprising that some Internet sites say that the WT condemned college. I even know of a few colllege professor and instructors that are Jehovah's Witnesess! Frederick Franz, in his biography, talked very fondly of his professor from the Univesity of Cincinnati, where he studied for 2 years. So I just don't understand all this talk about Witness being anti-college. In fact, among the first surgeons who practice non-blood surgery procedures are Jehovah's Witnesses. They must have gone to medical school!!!! (Another Bethelite I knew told me 2 of his cousins, who are JW's, had studied in a CA medical school procedures on non-blood surgery).

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    In fact, among the first surgeons who practice non-blood surgery procedures are Jehovah's Witnesses.

I know this thread is old a methusalum but I can't help it.......

Can you back this up.......

An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof.

• DodgedABullet
    DodgedABullet

I will tell you from personal experience that nothing that those rude sisters could say could be worse than the pain and regret you may feel later when you realize that you gave up your dream of going to college, and for what? Please don't do it! Go to college if that's what you want for your life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit