A day in the life of a Cop...my story. The truth.

by Witness 007 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

An interesting and enlightening opening post. Has anyone noticed that people who obey the law and treat policemen with respect don’t have a problem with the police; they look to them for help.

My encounters with them have always been positive and they have been eager to help and assist. I have had policemen as friends.

But then again, I don’t go around looting shops, setting fire to cars or burning down towns. If I did they would kick my white ass all the way to jail.

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

Wow...I can't believe the steriotyping that's going on here, that only criminals have problems with cops

I was a victim of abuse and still in further danger and got such a horrible attitude from a cop who was completely disinterested in my situation.

I'm not saying this has always been my experience...I've dealt with some cops that I have a lot of respect for, but it left lasting damage to my confidence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wow...I can't believe the steriotyping that's going on here, that only criminals have problems with cops - JT

100% agree with you and that's why I am fed up with this forum and quitting because those who are so sanctimonious about this stuff should know better.

If anyone wants me I'll be over on the yuku forum.

Goodbye folks. Have a good life!

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

great post, thank you.

if I thought my life was in danger I would look out for number 1, me.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

In the U.K i am sure many join the policeforce to make society a better place. But of course their must also be a percentage who join for " Power".

Of my three former police friends, each was very grateful for retirement at 50 years of age with a full pension. ( Think about that)

• Simon
    Simon

I find it interesting that people don't tend to say "some cops are bad", they always want to say "ALL cops are bad". Obviously, this doesn't fit with the facts because many are saying that their experience with the police has been positive. So I think they are being unreasonable and have an extreme opinion.

The other group suggest that most cops are good and that overall you are significantly less likely to have trouble with the police if you are law abiding. They are not saying that all cops are good or that no cop ever does bad - that would be unrealistic idealism. But there is nowhere near the problems that some are making out.

Obviously some people overstate their position, so let me ask you which one seems the more reaosnable:

1. People who claim most cops are good do actually have run-ins with bad cops where they have done nothing wrong but they want to cover it up for some unfathomable reason.
    2. People who claim most cops are bad do actually have run-ins with good cops where they have done something wrong but want to blame the police for rather obvious reasons.

I don't know what the motivation for #1 would be but I think #2 is far more believable. Which seems more believable to you?

Again, I am not saying there are no bad cops ... but I doubt everyone who's had police involvement in their family is always 100% squeaky innocent. I'm sure you believe your spouse / parent / child or whatever but it's human nature to want to *not* be the one at fault when a story is re-told whatever the reality of the situation.

If people do believe they have been treated unfairly or suffered any police corruption then did you go through any complaints procedure to make your grievance known and have it investigated?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My personal feeling is that even the majority of 'bad' cops start out with good intentions. I can't help but think of the scene in Crash when Matt Dillon says to his idealistic rookie partner "Wait until you've been on the job for twenty years".

Being a cop is such a thankless job, with low pay, and high risk. Combine that with the fact that they have to deal with the dregs of humanity on a regular basis. That's not a defense of those who become corrupted. But I have the utmost respect for the ones that don't.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I remember a commissioner of the police on National T.V, being asked to describe a black suspect. His answer " All black people look alike"

This was in the 1970s, but it happened.

My point being does societies ignorence make a bad cop?

• zeb
    zeb

Now I am guessing this please get that point but perhaps with so many US ex servicemen and women who have been subject to some very terrible experiences when they return home from war and areolooking for work and join a police force they bring those experiences and reactions into that job.

In Australia there has been a Royal Commission into "Black deaths in Custody". This Royal Commission was a money fest for lawyers (the rc cost millions) and while some good came from it there was a fundamental issue that no one in this pc world dared to say and its this; dont steal cars, dont attack in packs the innocent, dont rob shops or harass pensioners and you wont get picked up by the police wont go to prison. The suicide rate among the indigenous population is very high and probably (my guess at reading the news over many years) less than it is in prisons.

As an aside a stolen car pursued by police crashed some of the occupants were killed. Their deaths came under as being in Police custody so the concept was a loaded one from the start.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I'm a police officer. I just wanted to point out that "shoot to wound" does not exist. Never has. Never will be. It cannot exist.

A firearm is deadly force. To discharge a firearm at a person is deadly force. To intentionally shoot someone is to legally state you intend for that person to die regardless of where you are aiming. To shoot at someone and completely miss is still deadly force.

The number one cause of death as a result of being shot is bleeding out. You can bleed out from a leg wound, arm wound, shoulder wound, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit