What Made You Finally Wake Up?

by Tenacious 39 Replies latest social current

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Hello to all. I've been on this site for a couple of weeks now posting here and there but have not had the opportunity to read about many of the regular members and what led up to their leaving the WT.

I understand that some of you (I'm part of this club) may not be able to disclose many details and I can appreciate that.

I'd love to hear what was it that finally made you renounce what is and hopefully soon to be "was" the WT.

I truly look forward to having good discussions.

Thank you to all for your kind participation.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I finally left because I was df'd unjustly for exposing domestic violence. I was told it was reviling. I applied to get RI'd % times and then the penny finally droped. There was no holy spirit guiding the elders. I did loads of research on jwsurvey.org and jwfacts.com and then stopped going.

Kate xx

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Once I learned that 607 was wrong, it was official for me. There was a lot leading up to that, but that's where I drew the line.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The latest generation change led to some serious doubts for me, which led me to do some internet searches for jw stuff, which led me to jw facts. I read a little on there but wasn't fully swayed until I saw the misquotes in the creation book. Once I had definitive evidence that I'd been systematically led to for my entire life - it was like a switch flipped in my brain.

• Londo111
  • Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

The blatant lack of love that myself and my family experienced after a major tragedy. After having given of myself selflessly for so many years to comfort and assist, and then to sit there all alone with absolutely no one, not one elder, not one supposed friend, absolutely no one did more than the cursory condolence. If love "identifies" the true religion, then there is none....

that, in addition to all the strange and unfounded doctrine that I kept putting aside through my cognitive dissonance...then, llike the floodgates of heaven (or the supposed water "canopy" that the organization attributes the flood to) opened up and as the scales fell from the eyes of Paul, I realized it was all a bunch of malarkey. A perpetual adjustment-fest to keep the masses in obedience so that the money could keep rolling in....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've found that there's rarely any one thing that wakes people up.

It's usually a whole lot of itty bitty things that do it.

I don't have time to list all of mine.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

The generations teaching in 1995 was the first time I recall questioning anything, I was only 11 or 12 at the time. Then america online became popular and I would hang out in JW chat rooms where apostates abounded. I never talked to them but always would read what they had to say. Sometimes it made sense and other times apostates fed the idea that the watchtower portrayed them to be, crazy, angry, twisting anything they could. It really did not help what they were trying to do by how some would act.

Anyway fast forward the FIRST apostate website I ever read was freeminds.org sometime in the 90s. My heart was beating very fast as I was on the site. Again I read more stuff that made sense. I believe that's where I first heard of ray franz and his book. I went to the library and read it there for awhile out of fear of someone would find my book at home. Eventually I checked it out and locked it in my meeting bag since it had a combination on it.

After reading the book and I saw Ray had predicted that the generations teaching would need to be changed when he wrote his book in the early 80s and it took God's channel of communication over a decade to do it, that was a big moment of the light bulb going off for me. His book also pointed out about 607. I began researching that and figured out how it was all wrong. That was it for me.

• Divergent
    Divergent

After learning TTATT, I tried to defend the organization & tried to justify its actions, but reached a point where I could not defend it anymore! I then realized that if I couldn't defend "the truth", it was not because I was a poor defender of "truth" but rather it was because it is NOT truth in the first place!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Lack of love for people but increased love for titles and power, hypocritical and pompous elders, shunning children, change from using Jesus as the example to excessive obedience and reverence for the elder body and watchtower...all topped off by child abuse cover ups. It all became too much to accept blindly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit