Finally sent that letter, but not to mom...

by Odrade 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Odrade
    Odrade

No not that letter.

So we hobbled along with the family relationship. My parents (super-devout, highly involved and connected in JW-land,) spoke with me occasionally with that sad mopey voice. At one point about 6 years ago, my mom quit speaking to me. In reality, the relationship with my mother was not great before I left the JWs, and it was unsteady with my father too, as ours was a corporal punishment household, which leaves its own wake of destruction, quite aside from pernicious and authoritarian JW doctrine.

In the meantime, the strange little points of contact with my father have become increasingly unbearable. Every in-person encounter was sidling around the giant elephant hiding under the rug. Every phone call or text message felt like trying to communicate with tape over my mouth. And even after all of this time, he still felt compelled to "witness" to me every now and then. In all that time, even though I stood my ground regarding meeting invites, and declined literature, I never once made an unequivocal statement regarding the Organization.

After 12+ years I could no longer determine what it was I was trying to protect. Our lives have moved on. Most of my local friends have never been involved with JWs. The only family ties to "protect" would be those with my mother who doesn't speak with me anyways, my father, and my brother (who, because of events of the last several years is unlikely to cut ties with me whether he remains in the Org or leaves again.)

However, after all of this time, the idea that I have never really "spoken truth to power," ie: made a clear statement to my father regarding the JWs, has weighed heavily on my mind. Recently he has taken to doing things like texting pictures of things our family did when I was a child - I suppose in his mind "when we were all happy."

I've spent much of the last 10 years doing normal things with normal people in normal ways, but sometimes the damage rolls back over you like a sneaker wave. In the last 6 months or so, I began experiencing pretty severe PTSD symptoms and started seeing a counselor.

In the end, as it turns out, the pages-long letter I had once thought to send my mother, was reduced to a fairly short email... and directed only to my father.

(*personal lines removed*)

It's not that I don't remember the good things(...)

Growing up JW was extremely damaging. While I can empathize with the circumstances that led to your parental inability to appropriately handly active children, I have no sympathy for your religious choices.

Watchtower governs via fear and shame. Their doctrine is manipulative and subject to whim. Their rules have killed, and upon changing the rules, no apology has ever been issued. Have you ever once heard of a total exoneration being announced after "new light" for anyone who was disfellowshipped for choices that went contrary to "old" understanding? Not to mention that disfellowshipping itself is one of the cruelest, most abhorrent, destructive and wrong doctrines in the whole of Christianity.

I've come to believe that anyone who is as heavily involved as you are, has had ample opportunity to see through it, and chooses to look the other way. At the very least, you should have recognized my intelligence and clear-sightedness and taken that as a cue to make a deeper examination. I left for matters of conscience and integrity.

It may be that someday I will get to the point where the problems with our family unit are a footnote, and I can remember all the good times, without emotional conflict. However, it was beyond time that I made a clear statement to you about where I stand with your religion. This is it:

I do not ever want to hear another word from you about the Jehovah's Witnesses, unless it is to tell me you are planning your exit from the Organization. I don't want to hear about quick builds, or annual meetings or your bible studies, or any other aspect of your doctrine.

If you should wish to follow along with my recovery, you can do two things - you can do some research into Religious Trauma Syndrome and Complex PTSD (C-PTSD,) and you can read my blog, I know you already have the URL and have seen at least one of my posts.

I do love you and mom, but the only thing you can help me with right now is giving me space.

I think I come back to JWN to post this because I feel like most of us arrive on this board when we are still so raw. Some of us make a little home here, and some of us get the support we need and "move on." But moving on is always a work in progress. Sometimes things happen, externally or even internally, that throw us back to how we felt when we first made our escape.

I have people in real life who I love and who love me. They support me, but very few of them really understand this compulsion to finally have a say, even after things have "settled.: The logical part of my mind says "let sleeping dogs lie." But the part that's always hypervigilant is saying "that dog is not asleep, he's an attack dog who is pretending to be asleep long enough to get his teeth on your throat."

This letter, I really did send. He seems to be respecting my request for space, as I've not heard a reply.

I feel great relief.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for sharing, Odrade. I cut off contact with my abusive parents, but not without clearly and quietly explaining what they had done and never apologized for. They are both dead now my father in 2006 and my mother in 2012. My hubbie and I were happier before their deaths. In fact, they were really dead to us before they actually died.

Hugs, Blondie

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thanks Blondie. Nice to see some familiar faces around here. :)

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Sorry you had to go through this with your parents. The Watchtower really s a family destroying cult. Best wishes.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thanks AlphaMan, I'm sorry too. The organization really leaves a mess in their wake.

On the chance anyone is interested, this is the blog I mention in the email. I've been posting stuff about family dysfunction, the JWs, and similar, for the last 2-3 months, but it's a pretty general topic personal blog. Posts are more or less tagged.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Not only does your experience affect those of us yet to suffer at the hands of JW.ORG's evil methods & lies, it must surely make similar victims feel that they are actually part of an increasing worldwide brother/sisterhood who can offer comfort and advice on how to survive and thrive the Org's poison. Keep fighting it and show them up!

• XkhanX
    XkhanX

Very touching letter.

• Giordano
    Giordano

That was an excellent letter! Sometimes one has to tell it like it is especially in this situation.

My mother passed away when she was 90 so over the years my wife and I would visit a couple of times a year. The WT was always the 800 pound gorilla in the room. This one time I resolved not to mention anything JW. I also thought I'd count the times she referenced the JW's, the KH, service and of course the Society.

It was the friends this and the friends that, the wonderful Elders, the latest publication, the very helpful Awake articles. Then when reference 23 came up ......I broke. She commented on young Brother Timothy who had turned down a scholarship to college to pioneer.

I just shook my head. She had me........"there you go again so critical of the Society and the friends!" I got up and poured some brown whiskey in a glass. I waited for her parting shot "You drink to much!"

"Only when I'm here Mom."

• Odrade
    Odrade

Ha, Giordano! True!

I spent yesterday afternoon helping my Mother-in-law pick out a tablet at Costco, then setting it up for her with WT library, some app called JW Language (? wtf it's like the cult version of Rosetta Stone?) and bookmarks to take her straight to JW TV and JW.org. Then explained to her how she can only download the apps that say "Jehovah's Witnesses Official," so she wouldn't get into Apostatrouble. LOL, I felt like I needed a shower, some bourbon, or both.

I don't know, it's different with the mother-in-law. She's just as involved but somehow not as hardcore. She knows exactly where we stand, but still treats us like family, so if she needs a JW-ified Galaxy Tablet, then okay.

• talesin
    talesin

That was a brave and necessary thing to do. I wrote a similar letter almost two years ago. Not a word since, but yeah, the relief is enormous~!

All the best to you, Odrade.

xoxo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit