When Was Jerusalem Destroyed By The Babylonians?

by Smart 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The accession over Jerusalem started in 605 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar took the throne from

his father, the real desolation started when the city was finally over taken, as well the temple

being destroyed and the majority of slaves brought back to Babylon in 586 BCE.

It would be quite perceivable to assume that the prophecy of 70 years had much to do with the

sacredness to the Hebrews of the number 7.

• TD
    TD

This is years and years old, but some of you might get a kick out of it.

In 1997, The Watchtower published an article entitled, Jerusalem in Bible Times-- What Does Archaeology Reveal?

Here is a quote from the article:

"The Bible tells of Jerusalem’s destruction in 607 B.C.E. in 2 Kings chapter 25, 2 Chronicles chapter 36, and Jeremiah chapter 39, reporting that Nebuchadnezzar’s army put the city to the torch. Have recent excavations verified this historical account? According to Professor Yigal Shiloh, “the evidence [of the Babylonian destruction] in the Bible . . . is complemented by the clear-cut archaeological evidence; the total destruction of the various structures, and a conflagration which consumed the various wooden parts of the houses.” He further commented: “Traces of this destruction have been found in each of the excavations carried out in Jerusalem.”

Visitors can see remains from this destruction that took place over 2,500 years ago. The Israelite Tower, the Burnt Room, and the Bullae House are names of popular archaeological sites preserved and open to the public. Archaeologists Jane M. Cahill and David Tarler summarize in the book Ancient Jerusalem Revealed: “The massive destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians is apparent not only in the thick layers of charred remains unearthed in structures such as the Burnt Room and the Bullae House, but also in the deep stone rubble from collapsed buildings found covering the eastern slope. The biblical descriptions of the city’s destruction . . . complement the archaeological evidence.”

Thus, the Bible’s picture of Jerusalem from David’s time down to its destruction in 607 B.C.E. has in many ways been verified by archaeological excavations made during the past 25 years." (The Watchtower, June 15, 1997 pp. 11-12)

Here are email responses from Jane Cahill and David Tarler when asked to comment on the above quote:

No, I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I have never heard of the Watchtower Society, I have never published anything suggesting that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE, and - as far as I know - Yigal never published anything like that either. I would respond that I know of no evidence supporting such a date. Hope that answers your query.

Take care!

Jane Cahill

I am not familiar with the article you cited - and I would appreciate receiving a copy of it - but I never said that the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E. I do not think that, today, archeologists could differentiate between 607 B.C.E. and 587 B.C.E. material cultural remains.

Assuming that there are material remains from a 604 B.C.E. destruction at Tel Miqne/Ekron and from a 587 B.C.E. destruction at the City of David/Jerusalem, comprehensive analysis of these remains conceivably could yield chronological indicators for other sites, but even then, the archeological conclusions would derive from those assumed dates; the dates themselves would not derive from the archeology.

David Tarler

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

TD:

Excellent information TD! Those quotes by those writers certainly show how the Watchtower will intentionally lie to try and save face. Those authors never said any such thing, and the Watchtower used their names in falsehood.

TD, did you ever see the 1885 or 1890 editions of: Uncle Daniel's Bible Class, written by the Edgars? The Watchtower endorsed those books by allowing their advertisements to be shown in the front of the books, yet, the Edgars boldly wrote that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587-588 B.C.E. At times, there were several things the Edgar's did not agree with Russell on. I am trying to locate a copy and it has not been any easy job!

Atlantis!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has been known to deceptively lie in an attempt to support previously created doctrines or positions.

Part of this comes from the delusion that whatever the WTS says in its literature espoused by the executive editors is solemnly the unquestionable Truth.

Teaching or professing ignorance has been the supporting mainstay throughout the WTS's history, it has sustained the actual structure of the organization

by exploiting the ignorance within the general population of which it targets and appealing to that ignorance.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

Zechariah chapter 7,verses 1,and 4

The forth year Darius was 518.

2kings 25:8 and verse 25 show

why they fasted for 70 years.

Watchtower says 607 for their

first fast. Take 69 from 607=538.

Take 69 from 587=518.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

Smart, did you get what you wanted?

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

This page has letters to and from the Society, regarding this issue.

http://www.607v587.com/

• jhine
    jhine

Smart , welcome . You are obviously smarter than you are portraying yourself cus you seem to have the ability to still think for yourself ! You asked if any here goes to a different place of worship . You sound as if you still have faith , just not maybe in the Watchtower now . Lots of people who realise what you are realising and get disfellowshipped or just fade end up with no faith . You must make up your own mind . I have never been a JW , I am a lifelong member of the Anglican Church . As such I will comment on a point raised by Sloppyjoe2 a while back . The Witnesses tell people that they are the only religion to preach worldwide , something else not true . All the major Trinitarian religions preach worldwide and open orphanages , schools , clinics etc to help people . So if Elders ever ask you "who else preaches worldwide ?" the answer is "lots of religions " , but as pointed out by others who know better than I , that will get you into trouble .

Jan

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I don't understand the 587/586 date. Which is it? 587 or 586?

As for the 70 years. Daniel looked to the end of the 70 years as he knew Jeremiah's prophesy.

He looked to the end so he knew the beginning, which was when he was taken captive with the first captivity.

• VM44
    VM44

If you bring up the subject with the elders, or write the Watchtower, about the year 607BCE, they will most likely refer you to the two part article on the topic published in the Octorber and November, 2011 issues of the Watchtower.

I would vernture to say that most JWs would say that the matter is settled simply because the Watchtower wrote an article on the subject.

But the points made by The Watchtower in its article have been refuted.

Please see Carl Olof Jonsson's two part article:

WHEN WAS ANCIENT JERUSALEM DESTROYED?

http://kristenfrihet.se/english/epage.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit