When Was Jerusalem Destroyed By The Babylonians?

by Smart 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Smart
    Smart

Can someone explain in easy to understand language what this argument is all about. I am not that clever. I am hoping to talk to the elders about this as well as whoever is willing to talk about it on here. I have looked at this issue on JW Facts but its too much for me.

• never a jw
    never a jw

If you are not willing to take the time to thoroughly research the issue then don't go to the elders regarding it. Whole books have been written about it "Gentile Times Reconsidered". If you want to get the conviction that you and many millions have been lied to, then you have to work hard. I actually read the book and confirmed beyonfd any doubt that the Watchtower lies.

• sir82
    sir82

In a nutshell, it is this:

Massive amounts of evidence indiate that Babylon conquered Jerusalem in either 586 or 587 BCE. There are literally thousands of lines of evidence, and (literally) every credible authority in the world recognizes that timeframe as accurate.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the date is 607 BCE. This is because they use that date as the starting point for a mathematical/Biblical formula to arrive at the year 1914 AD, which they teach is the beginning of the Bible's "last days".

If the WTS admitted 607 BCE is incorrect, they'd also be admitting that 1914 AD is incorrect, and thus their entire theological "last days" picture is wrong. The WTS is incapable of admitting error, though, and so they cling to 607 BCE as the date, despite (as mentioned above) every piece of evidence in existence pointing to 20 years later.

If you're going to argue that point with the elders, though, keep in mind that (A) you will lose the argument, no matter how right you are, and (B) if you persist, you will be disfellowshipped.

• Smart
    Smart

this is nuts man absolutelty nuts.

• Smart
    Smart

I always doubted that the Jehovah's Witnesses are Gods spirit directed organisation or the faithful and discreet slave or the only channel of communication with him or a prophet. I wasn't really aware of my doubts though. There is no proof to say they are what they claim to be. People believed Moses and Jesus because they were able to proove they were being used by God. Jehovah's Witnesses on the other hand DO NOT have any proof in the form of a sign or a miracle that they are God's appointed people. Now it's starting to look quite bad. I think I'm going out of my mind. I am seriously depressed.

• menrov
    menrov

Smart, do your own research first and then draw your conclusion. And only if you really feel strong enough and are ready to accept the consequences, approach your elder(s).

• St George of England
    St George of England

Lots on this site regarding 607/587. Look under "SEARCH"

Doug Mason has written several articles here that are worth digging out.

George

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

There's always this...

• Babylon fell 539 B.C.E

"Babylon fell in 539 B.C." Babylon the Great Has Fallen - God's Kingdom Rules p.184
      *** it-1 236 Babylon, History*** October 5, 539 B.C.E. (Gregorian calendar), when Babylon fell before the invading Medo-Persian armies under the command of Cyrus the Great.

• Plus Nabonidus, 17 years

"On the basis of cuneiform texts he is believed to have ruled some seventeen years(556-539 B.C.E.)." it-2 p. 457 Nabonidus

• Plus Labashi-Marduk, 1 year

"Labashi-Marduk ... was a vicious boy, and within nine months he had his throat cut by an assassin." Babylon the Great Has Fallen - God's Kingdom Rules p.184 "Labashi-Marduk, a vicious boy, succeeded him, and was assassinated within nine months." w65 1/1 p. 29

• Plus Neriglissar, 4 years

"Neriglissar ... reigned four years" Babylon the Great Has Fallen - God's Kingdom Rules p.184

• Plus Evil-Merodach, 2 years

"After reigning but two years King Evil-Merodach was murdered" Babylon the Great Has Fallen - God's Kingdom Rules p.184

• Plus Nebuchadnezzar, 43 years

"Nebuchadnezzar ruled as king for 43 years" Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2 p.480

• Equals start of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, Calculated by adding above figures = 606 B.C.

• Minus Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year

2 Kings 25:8-9 "And in the ... nineteenth year of King Neb·u·chad·nez´zar ... the servant of the king of Babylon, came to Jerusalem. And he proceeded to burn the house of Jehovah"

539+17+1+4+2+43 -19=587

Date for Destruction of Jerusalem = 587 B.C.

• Smart
    Smart

I cannot believe this I am really torn apart.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

As wifibandit pointed out you can prove using their own literature the 587 date. I would use the the January 1, 1965 Watchtower since it actually lists each king and how long they reigned EXCEPT for nabonidus. The article just happens to leave out how many years he was king. Get the Insight book and go to nabondius and it will say he is believed to have ruled for 17 years. Start at 539 bce using that 17 years and then count the years that the watchtower states in the article and you will get 587. This all will fall on deaf ears of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit