NFL bans Player for using a 'switch' on his son

by designs 36 Replies latest social current

• DJS
    DJS

Simon and Talesin, ditto. A number of recent studies suggest that harsh corporal punishment permanently damages the gray matter in children, especially those in the 5 - 9 year age group. It is thought to impact the childrens' abilities to make critical decisions and to behave socially as well. It needs to end, and it is yet more rational, science based evidence that the bible is nonsense and not in any manner inspired.

Just now out, your initial response was based on your own personal emotional opinons. I suggested in trying to help you that a better understanding of the working agreement between the players and the NFL management would enable you to speak more intelligently about it. Your second response suggested an entrenched, mis-placed pride with more emotions attached. Your third response is a WTF moment which makes no sense whatsoever. I can help you but you have to let me. You have a sparse posting history, and yet you felt strongly enough to post on this OP. Emotions can be a good thing, but I would suggest that you do some homework the next time you think about posting. Ratchet your emotions down about 6 levels and 'listen' to what I'm saying. I'm trying to help you but you have to let me.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think it's a good thing this has been made an issue. Peterson has said this was the way he was raised and he did not know it was wrong. There are probably a lot of parents out there who think this way, now they are at least being exposed to the idea that this is not acceptable in our society, that there are better ways to discipline a child. It's easy to get frustrated and lash out physically, much harder to come up with better solutions, people have to know the better options out there.

Peterson has not lost his job, he is merely been suspended. He will take a financial hit, but it's not like he is going to be living on the streets, as a professional athlete he will still make ungodly sums of money. It's probably more of an issue for him that he is missing the season, plus the damage that has been done to his reputation, but his fans will forgive him and he will come back from this and probably be a better person and a better parent.

Did the NFL go too far? Maybe, but better to err on the side of protecting defenseless children than on the side of wealthy, entitled athletes.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Beating your kids serves no purpose. It may instill fear, that's true, but it does not engender compassion nor true virtue. It is a negative input expecting a positive result.

For many in my generation, being whipped was a customary element of our childhood. Before meetings, during meetings, after meetings, it didnt matter. If you weren't ready on time. If you talked or fell asleep during the meeting. If your brother or sister told on you on the way home. It was FUN to be a child witness!!!

My favorite childhood memory of the devout JW family is being whipped by a hot wheel track, a long orange plastic flexible piece of a toy race car setup popular in the late 60's early 70's. There is something sadistic in beating your kid with his own toys....

• designs
    designs

When I was in this particular congregation where the physical abuse was present I asked the teenagers what they thought. They hated it and resented their parents for the abuse.

• Marvin Shilmer
  • steve2
    steve2

I am proud to be a New Zealander - a country well known for its enlightened legislation protecting human rights, those of children in particular. Parents can be arrested and charged with specific offences against their children if they are deemed by the police to have used "unreasonable" force.

Since the legislation passed a few years ago, the sky has not fallen in and parents have not been dragged before the courts and charged to any significant greater degree than before the legislation was passed. However, public awareness of alternatives to physical violence has increased and you are less likely to find parents arguing they have a right to beat their child. Any adult who insists that using physical violence is necessary to raise their children says a lot more about their own mentality than about the "wickedness" or other of their children.

The core message is: Secular law has long made a crime out of one adult hitting another adult, yet in many countries says it is okay for parents to beat children. So you can hit a child and get away with it - but you cannot hit an adult. Surely those who are most vulnerable - children at the mercy of parents - need protection.

Times have changed - it is a whole different world than it was ever a decade or two ago. To cite the fact that many Witness children were physically hit by their parents at kingdom halls seems a little unfair, given that even schools were allowed to use corporal punishment.

• blondie
    blondie

Very good comment, steve2. I have used this thought with people that think it is their god-give right to beat their child.

The core message is: Secular law has long made a crime out of one adult hitting another adult, yet in many countries says it is okay for parents to beat children. So you can hit a child and get away with it - but you cannot hit an adult. Surely those who are most vulnerable - children at the mercy of parents - need protection.

• blondie
  • designs
    designs

What I use to see among some JW parents was a cycle of escalating violence- a parent would jerk a small child up by the arm and when the child naturally cried from the pain they would get beaten, then when they cried again they would be told to Shut up! and smacked or spanked again with the same thing- Shut up!.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Many parents who did what designs described are now in nursing homes wondering why they aren't being visited by their children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit