How to wake up and reverse the trance???

by J-DUBBED 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED
    Have been love-bombing our boy for a while and slowly talking to him. Just him but not his wife. Today in a conversation him and my wife and I, the question about Birthdays come up. My wife asked if it's alright to by his young 2 year old daughter a Birthday gift. He says no we don't believe in that. I said what if we wrap a gift in plain paper that doesn't say anything about birthday on it. He was kind of blank. I asked him how he enjoyed that stuff when he was 4 or 5 years old. He said it was fun. I said well why can't the kid's have fun too? Again kind of blank. He would keep bringing up how the Bible opened his eyes with life. How he will die and be resurrected into a new world. He was always saying he'll show us all kind of scriptures in the bible. I said why can't you people accept people the way they are but you expect us to accept you? Keeps going off on a tangent "I can't explain but I can show you in the bible".
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Only you know your son, but would it work to show him that the Bible has no Provenance ?

That we have no way of knowing what was written in the original writings/books, all we have is copies of many preceding copies, and we know that editing, interpolation, redacting etc has gone on in those copies.

The Bible is not to be trusted, is evidently simply the work of men, and therefore, is only their opinion, which is at least 2000 years out of date.

I doubt you will be able to get this across, I never have to any JW I have spoken to, they just dismiss all the evidence for the above as from the Devil or something.

But just maybe you could plant a seed or two of doubt, and he may begin to realize that the Bible is not what he thinks it is.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Oh he had some contact with us.....Mostly my wife. He was giving her ultimatums "If we want to see him then we have to change/convert also".

My wife said "I don't think so".

This is practiced by an organization that claims to love their neighbours.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Show him in the Bible at Matt chapters 5_6 were Jesus said to love everyone including your enemy, don't judge and don't shun end of chapter 5 then ask what does he make of a religion that doesn't do what Jesus says. Also Romans chapter 14 and colossians chapter 2 says birthdays are fine.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

JDUBBED, I'm glad you've been able to reestablish some communication with your son.

My advice is to let your grandaughter's birthday pass and then a few weeks later tell your son you found something you knew the little girl would love. Don't even mention anything about a birthday.

Wrap it in some brightly colored paper that doesn't say Happy Birthday or have birthday cake on it.

Just tell the little girl you are giving her a gift because you love her. That shouldn't be objectional to the JW parents.

Best of luck in reestablishing a better relationship with your son and his family.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    There are some scriptures about honoring your parents and older people. There are others about it being sinful to have no natural affection for your family. Those might help.
  • J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED

There are some scriptures about honoring your parents and older people. There are others about it being sinful to have no natural affection for your family. Those might help.

I wish I knew what those were.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I wish I knew what those were.

I was feeling generous so I did the legwork for ya

All quotes are from the JW abomination of a "bible"

Ephesians 6:2,3, in reference to the command found in Exodus 20:12 and Deuteronomy 5:16.

“Honor your father and your mother” is the first command with a promise: “That it may go well with you and you may remain a long time on the earth.”

Matthew 19:17-19

He said to him: “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If, though, you want to enter into life, observe the commandments continually.” 18 He said to him: “Which ones?” Jesus said: “You must not murder, you must not commit adultery, you must not steal, you must not bear false witness, 19 honor your father and your mother, and you must love your neighbor as yourself.”
    If you show that one to him, you can give it a little extra power by suggesting that it's significant that showing honor to one's parents was mentioned in the same breath as murder (this is a line of reasoning that JWs often use to increase the importance of relatively minor commands)

Romans 1:28-32

Just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting. And they were filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, and badness, being full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice, being whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, schemers of what is harmful, disobedient to parents, without understanding, false to agreements, having no natural affection, and merciless. Although these know full well the righteous decree of God—that those practicing such things are deserving of death—they not only keep on doing them but also approve of those practicing them.

2 Timothy 3:1-7

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

Again, in these verses having no natural affection is grouped with some other pretty bad stuff. Of course JWs are trained to recognize these verses as applying only to "worldly" people, so it might be a little difficult to make your point with them.

• J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED
    Are these verses out of their own bible?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

J-Dubbed: He was giving her ultimatums "If we want to see him then we have to change/convert also".

Sure evidence your son is in a cult.

I suggest you and your wife get and read Steven Hassan's book, Releasing the Bonds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit