just wanted to introduce myself

by TheMark 51 Replies latest jw friends

• TheMark
    TheMark

Thanks for the welcome!

Let's review: It's a cult! (I love that, brings a smile to my face everytime I read it)

I've had my own cognitive dissonances myself but like Tenacious said, this was at a time when information was not available to the masses. As soon as it was, I re-adjusted my thinking. Just the logical thing to do. I understand the Stockholm Syndrome and the too much invested part but sometimes you just have to let go if the beliefs are ludicrous. Isn't that what the path to truth should be?

I'm happy to see however, that the only thing the leadership can come up with as far as spiritual food is tight pants and colored socks. Might wake up a few to the fact that these bethel guys aren't anymore enlightened than the rest. Hopefully.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Welcome !

What part of the world are you from TheMark?

I love your new word too! De-cultabilized...hehe

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• SAHS
    SAHS

Welcome, “TheMark,” to the JW discussion board! It’s the best of its kind, for sure. (I’m sure the head guy, Simon, would heartily agree.) It’s always encouraging and satisfying to see more and more people streaming to – I mean, FROM – the WT (the “mountain of Jehovah,” as they see arrogantly themselves). I see you’ve been lurking here for close to eight months already. That’s certainly enough time to get quite an eye-opening education in the real truth – that is, the truth about the truth (“TTATT”).

The classic, must-read books for us folks at the beginning of our awakenings are Raymond Franz’s Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom. (Absolutely superb!) Another good classic is M. James Penton’s book, Apocalypse Delayed. A most poignant one which is extremely well researched and absolutely, completely blows to nothing the WT’s 607 BCE / 1914 CE nonsense is Carl Olof Jonsson’s The Gentile Times Reconsidered. I’ve read all those books, and I couldn’t imagine anyone with half the number of neurons of a housefly still believing in that WT governing body after reading any one of them.

We need to keep exchanging mutual support through forums such as this, because the cult indoctrination persists on a deep subconscious level for many years even after one has left the WT organization. I find that the fear, anxiety, and shame doesn’t just go away overnight – especially for someone like myself, who was born into a strongly JW family in 1966.

I’m looking forward to seeing your posts, and we would all be interested to know just what made you wake up and realize that the WT teachings just don’t add up. Take care.

• Been_There_Done_That
    Been_There_Done_That

Welcom Mark!

• TheMark
    TheMark

Originally from the East Coast, I'm a French Canadian but now living in California. Didn't realize I was inventing a word..lol

Started reading Crisis of Conscience and stopped rather quickly as I realized reading anything JW related doesn't interest me at all, except this forum of course, only because I get the news before they get the news..haha. I do understand however that for some, reading these books will help them in their recovery.

It took me awhile to wake up. Way back in the late 80's and early 90's I've attempted to get reinstated many times but never succeeded. The whole thing was just too boring for me. I'm not the smartest but I like debating ideas and since this is a no-no with the witnesses it made the experience truly bland. We should have a right to discuss whatever we choose, how else can we grow. In my last attempt I was in my original congregation with 2 BIL on the commitee. Apparently they wanted to make me suffer a little, I didn't appreciate that so I just bid them farewell never to return or try again.

I've learned many things just reading this forum and I came to the conclusion that no man has access to true knowledge. I can't say for sure if I'm an atheist but I sure think like one..lol. The bible? Well, the flood story took care of that for me (thanks leolia, I think that's her name, real smart cookie).

I respect other people's beliefs so I'm not really a staunch JW apostate but they are truly closed-minded, like most religious organisations.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Welcome Mark!

• TheMark
    TheMark

Just wanted to add. The reason I joined in 2013 and never posted was that I live pretty far from civilisation..lol and I couldn't use my phone to post or comment. Just got an internet connection..yay

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TM: We should have a right to discuss whatever we choose, how else can we grow.

Exactly!

I look forward to more of your posts!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Hi, from another Californian

northern California, that is, the state of Jefferson (LOL)

Welcome to the forum

Hortensia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit