Deposition of Richard Ashe

by truthseekeriam 51 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

http://watchtowerdocuments.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Lopez-11Exhibit-8-to-DEC-of-Copley-ISO-OPP-to-Plnts-MFS.pdf

Did any of you guys sit down and read this??

It's long but I assure you it's a great read.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Reading it now thanks.

Whoever did the transcription made lots of errors, or is that normal for this type of document?

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

I noticed that too WMF. There were a few places where i thought wtf, is this a translated document or something?! As you go on though you'll see the transcriptor is using shorthand to document the discussion so i guess that's what's caused some of the obscure nonsensicle sentence structures.

• zeb
    zeb

It does do a job of revealing how the wt agents do a dance around any question and try any way they can to distance themselves from any responsibility to a direct answer.

I was surprised that the judge in charge allowed the incessant objections from the other counsel.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Whoever did the transcription made lots of errors, or is that normal for this type of document?

The errors come from the speakers themselves. The person doing the transcripting writes down exactly what was said.

As you go on though you'll see the transcriptor is using shorthand to document the discussion so i guess that's what's caused some of the obscure nonsensicle sentence structures.

The obscure nonsensicle sentence structures come from the speakers themselves, not the person doing the transcribing. A speaking voice rarely is grammatically or structurally correct. We think we speak correctly, but we don't. Our spoken speech has far more mistakes in it than a written statement does.

I was surprised that the judge in charge allowed the incessant objections from the other counsel.

It is how the legal system works. And why we have counsel - so that objections can be made for improper questioning. It isn't a matter of what the judge allows - it is a matter of what is allowed under the law. Even the judge has to abide by that.

This is a real court case - not one scripted for television or the big screen. This isn't Hollywood, it is not made for entertainment value.

Truthseekeriam - thanks for posting that - I like reading court documents. :)

• Island Man
    Island Man

Marked

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Orphancrow, that's bollocks, have you read the document?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Orphancrow, that's bollocks, have you read the document?

Yes, I have read the document.

Can you be more specific on what you mean by 'bollocks'? Please be more clear - I don't understand what part would be bollocks. I would like more detail about your accusation.

Unless, of course, you object on grounds that you are only stating your 'belief and practice', rather than your 'policy' of accusing people of something without being clear about your accusation.

• blondie
    blondie

watchtowerdocuments is hosted by Barbara Anderson who gets these documents from the proper legal sources. She works with these attorneys as well supplying information about the WTS and understanding of its machinations. She has long worked with victims, survivors, attorneys, organizations such as SNAP. So why do you feel she has not provided authentic documents?

http://watchtowerdocuments.com/

The Life and Discoveries of Barbara Anderson

A Former Jehovah’s Witness Insider Who Was an Eyewitness to Deceit

Barbara Anderson was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses from 1954 to 1997. She worked at Watchtower's headquarters in Brooklyn, NY, from 1982 to 1992 where during her last three years there, she researched the movement's official history (published in 1993) and did research as well as wrote a number of articles for their Awake! magazine. She has done extensive research on issues related to child sexual abuse in the religion leading to interviews on major TV and radio programs as an outspoken critic of Jehovah's Witnesses sexual abuse policies.

Life Altering Choice

I was born in Long Island, New York in 1940 to Polish Catholic parents. When I was an inexperienced, discontented fourteen-year old, I made a choice that for the next forty-four years of my life would narrow my opportunities to make choices—I joined one of the most aggressive, controversial religious groups, Jehovah’s Witnesses, which became the center of my life. I put aside my heart’s desire, the study of archeology, because of the religion’s ban on higher education for their members. Hence, evangelistic activities took priority over education. I heeded their rules as to choice of friends, only Jehovah’s Witnesses, and choice of a marriage mate, only one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Why would a youngster agree to allow her life to be so controlled? Not only was I idealistic at that young age, but bored. I was too young to make any valuable contributions to cure the world’s problems, but desperately wanted to, an attitude which left me wide open for accepting a Bible Study offered by Jehovah’s Witnesses. After all, Witnesses said they could explain good and evil and life’s other mysteries. Very soon, I zealously embraced the Witness faith. Young, naïve and gullible, how was I to know my mind was being manipulated—through methods of indoctrination skillfully crafted and honed over decades—which made everything taught to me sound very convincing? Just the feeling of being wanted by people who spoke persuasively about things no one else seemed to know anything about kept me dependent and fascinated. And an empowering sense of belonging gave me the strength to stand up to critical Catholic relatives and friends. After three months of Bible Study, I was happy to go out in the Witness door-to-door preaching activity, and, in nine months, to be baptized along with my mother as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

After two years, my zeal convinced at least five adults to convert to my faith. In 1956, when I was 16, a Witness missionary, who was temporarily living in Long Island while waiting for entry papers to India, asked me to spend two summer months accompanying her in the “pioneer,” or full-time missionary, work near Athens, Ohio. It was in an area that, during World War II, some fifteen years earlier, patriotic people tarred and feathered Witnesses because they refused to salute the flag and support the war effort. It was a bit unnerving when one angry man told us to get off his property or he would get his gun and run us out of the county like he did Witnesses years before. Never ones to be intimidated, we kept right on in our ministry.

Returning to school in the fall was stressful because I wanted to be in the preaching work, not wasting my days learning about a world which was going to end at any moment. It was a difficult time for me, but within a few months my family moved to South Florida where we made contact with the Witnesses and once again I had a whole new set of friends.

My Marriage

In 1957, at age seventeen, I teamed up with two other Florida girls and we accepted a Witness preaching assignment in Columbus, Mississippi. Not able to find part-time work in Columbus, a college town where students filled all the jobs, we left broke and discouraged after three months. Rather than return to Florida, we decided to go to New York where we knew volunteers were needed at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Brooklyn, New York. There the staff was preparing for the huge 1958 International Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses to be held at New York’s Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds. We stayed with Witness friends in Long Island until we found an apartment and part-time jobs; then, a few days each week, we traveled thirty miles to do office work at the Brooklyn headquarters.

I met Joe Anderson a few months before the New York convention. His mother, Virginia, and I attended the same congregation in Hempstead, Long Island, and she introduced us. Joe’s grandmother had been a Witness, although her commitment was rather minimal; consequently, her children were, for the most part, Jehovah’s Witnesses “bystanders.” Joe’s parents moved to Dallas, Texas, from Tampa, Florida, when he was sixteen where his mother began to attend Witness meetings at a local Kingdom Hall. His father, an intimidating alcoholic, was totally disinterested in the Witnesses. The zealous religious camaraderie appealed to Joe, and, although his two sisters soon left the group, he teamed up with other Witnesses to engage in the pioneer work for three years in the Dallas area. (At that time, pioneers agreed to spend 100 hours each month discussing the Bible with non-Witnesses; now it’s 70 hours. Pioneers usually have part-time jobs to support themselves financially.)

In 1956, Joe volunteered to work and live at the Brooklyn Heights complex known to Witnesses as “Bethel.” This is the home of the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, operating under the name, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc., of New York [“Watchtower Society”], where he operated one of their printing presses from 1956-59. And this is what Joe was doing when I met him in 1958. After we married in November 1959, we pioneered in West Palm Beach, Florida, until I became pregnant with our son, Lance, born, September 14, 1961.....

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

http://www.justice.gov.yk.ca/pdf/Final_Transcript_Manual_2014.pdf

The chief concern when producing a transcript is to ensure that it is an accurate
    verbatim record of proceedings. Transcribers must certify or attest on each
    transcript that it is a true and faithful record of the proceedings transcribed. Since
    any transcript may become the basis of a subsequent legal action (such as an
    appeal), the necessity for truth and accuracy cannot be over-emphasized.
    Because of the need for faithful reproduction, transcribers bear a heavy
    responsibility. They must not guess as to the spoken word, but must in all cases
    transcribe exactly what was said. A reporter/recorder who transcribes a record
    has a duty to not only transcribe accurately, but also to ensure that the oral
    comments and testimony of all parties can be heard properly at the time the
    proceedings take place.

This is from a manual put out by the government of Yukon - I picked it because the wording is pretty clear. The rules for court transcribing are fairly consistent regardless of which court is being transcribed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit