Overlap what???

by dugout 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Back in the 60's early 70's we had the idea that you should be able to "defend" the good news, as absurd an idea as that was. A group of us used to get together to debate doctrine. We were sharp. So sharp, in fact, that we would relish the opportunity to be invited to an apostate sympathizer gathering and pummel the non-believer. Even with some of the outrageous doctrine that we had back in the '70's, and yes,,,there was some really off-the-wall stuff, WE KNEW WHAT WE BELIEVED. That is why many of my generation, the humble ones at least, are scratching their heads at why a lot of this stuff is simply accepted as new light. It is balderdash! Most do not know what they believe in the organization now. They simply nod their heads.

Case in point, I ran into an old friend on Sunday after they had their Regional BRAG fest. He is one of those long time pioneers, used at every assembly, really well-known and respected for toting the party line.

He says, "Hey how bout that Meeting, huh?"

To which I said, "Yeah, good old Morris really dropped the bomb on us didn't he?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," I said, "I was just amazed that for the first time in the ORG's history, we had over a million people present to be taught at the table of Jehovah and what does he talk about? Tight pants and Spanxx. I mean, with all the issues that we face as an ORG, don't you think he could have spoken about something substantial?"

His comment....and this blows me away..... "Like what?"

There it is in a nutshell.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

It doesn't matter if you understand it or not. All you need is to believe you're in God's organization. How do you know you are in God's organization? The governing body tells you that you are: we are the only ones who preach, we are a united brotherhood, we don't go to war...God reveals his purpose through the GB...

• garyneal
    garyneal

Can you explain the overlapping generation? No.

How is this different from a trinitarian not being able to explain the trinity? The trinity is not in the Bible.

Is the concept of overlapping generation in the Bible? silence...

How is the overlapping generation teaching different than the trinity teaching? silence...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is a lamentable lack of familiarity with current doctrine among the older witnesses. My wife also has been a dub for many decades and I see that she has got to a point where she just doesn't bother with the new stuff. Her faith was formed in the 70's -80's and she stuck around there. Any differing info is treated with indifference .

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Same here.. I am not sure what is better though... is it better that they remain ignorants? or is it better that they get shown the truth? In my case she is more like she is happy with the basic believes, those that are actually defendable (like mentioned here, those that were the center of the group back in the 70's or 80's). The rest is just icing. My wife can not even explain 1914 nor does she believe they got it right. At the end God will judge type of attitude. Lots of other things don't seem to come to mind. Sad part is, I wish I could say they wil be driven to do unthinkable things based on counlless doctrinal topics. Too many to challenge all. The truth is that they would still do the unthinkable if they can find just one belief that can be satifactorily explainable. In esence, no different than any other religion.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Separation of Powers said:

Case in point, I ran into an old friend on Sunday after they had their Regional BRAG fest. He is one of those long time pioneers, used at every assembly, really well-known and respected for toting the party line.

He says, "Hey how bout that Meeting, huh?"

To which I said, "Yeah, good old Morris really dropped the bomb on us didn't he?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," I said, "I was just amazed that for the first time in the ORG's history, we had over a million people present to be taught at the table of Jehovah and what does he talk about? Tight pants and Spanxx. I mean, with all the issues that we face as an ORG, don't you think he could have spoken about something substantial?"

"Like what?" This question reveals the attitude that all JW drones have, none of them see the problems because the Org never makes a mistakes. The GB think they have God's support and that nothing will happen against the Org.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Why would you expect him, as a zealous JW, to say anything different? He wanted to know what issues you meant. This is an opportunity to give him some new information, so it's exactly the response you should have wanted.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

@ Apognophos

I did, in fact, respond to his question. But, that wasn't the point of my post. His response sums up what every hard core witness now believes and that is....whatever the ORG says. If the ORG says "tight pants" are bad and that is the most important thing to know, then the hardcore says, "That's right!"

As for the response that I might have "wanted," well, to tell you the truth, it was the response I was expecting. No argument, no matter how well presented or planned can break through the dissonance of one so engaged.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

like much of what the BOrg teaches, it only truly makes sense once your mentally free and you quit the mental gymnastics

it all makes sense once you leave

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think most JWS are probably aware, certainly at least the old JWS.

Problem is most JWS don't deeply analise the doctrine with critical evaluation because it was given to them by the FSDL (GB).

So therefore its legit.

The obvious corruption to this doctrines is that Jesus said " This Generation " not Generation(s)

In actually if one reads the adjoining scriptures he was referring to the people that were living at that time.

But thats how religious charlatans work or should I say fool people, they take a scripture out context and manipulate it

to support their intent of creating their own expressed doctrine.

This trusted and corrupt attempt of course is to support the other main doctrine by the WTS. that Jesus took his throne in heaven in 1914

making the generation spoken by Christ the people living today.

Good lies and diverting deception for a religious publishing house nevertheless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit