Overlap what???

by dugout 35 Replies latest jw friends

• dugout
    dugout

just out of the blue i asked my wife whos been a JW for some 30 odd years can she explain the overlapping doctrine. She said to me she never heard of this and said she will have to look it up. I thought oh S#^%!. Are we going to the same meetings?? My wife is not slow shes pretty sharp. So I said, OK let me ask one of our friends her friend a (sister) can she explain it. Same responce!!!! Mines was too OH S##@!

What percentage of the JW world do you think dont know or can explain this doctrine, and more importantly how this affects them as one of JWs YOUR thoughts please

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What percentage of the JW world do you think dont know or can explain this doctrine,

I wouldn't know how many don't know but I wager all of them couldn't explain it....at least with any certainty.

and more importantly how this affects them as one of JWs YOUR thoughts please

As long as they are good little drones worshipping the GB and giving them money...hey...no problem.

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

I asked my still-in wife the same thing.....she told me go ask the elders. "Oh, like a Catholic saying go ask the priest to explain the trinity?" I thought. Dasn't say it....yet.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Just after the "overlapping generation" was studied in the WT, I was out in F.S. with an Elder who was in his 70s.

In between knocking on doors, I asked him if he understood this new teaching. He simply said 'No, he didn't'.

I said that I was glad, because I didn't understand it either. End of conversation!

• sir82
    sir82

What percentage of the JW world do you think dont know or can explain this doctrine, and more importantly how this affects them as one of JWs YOUR thoughts please

Less than 10% could explain it.

0% understand it, because it is beyond comprehension. It makes no sense whatsoever. It is like asking "who understands the concept of 2 + 2 = yellow?"

How this affects them? They simply don't care. They are taught to just throw up their hands when confronted with anything requiring more than 5 consecutive seconds of thought and say "Jehovah will take care of it".

What is important to them is that they'll get to see Aunt Sally in the resurrection, and they'll get their mountaintop / seaside mansion, and that they'll get to spend their days eating fruit and petting pandas.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

It's cruise control of the mind, most dubs go to the meetings, can defend things that are in the book they studied in, ie, "live forever" or "god's Love" but anything newer gets missed.

Many JWs couldn't explain doctine if they needed to, it's just such a shallow understanding and a repeating of sound bites with no real concern for what they mean.

• prologos
    prologos

If you understand it, you have to know it is wrecking the wt claim to being a serious religious contender.

2% in our congregation are admitting to understanding it, by eyes raised heavenward,silently, when the topic surfaces.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

0% understand it, because it is beyond comprehension. It makes no sense whatsoever. It is like asking "who understands the concept of 2 + 2 = yellow?"

If you hear a JW express confusion/lack of understanding of how you can scripturally support multiple generations actually being 1 (overlapping) generation, you could always say:

"It's really quite simple...although they are seperate generations from a human perspective, from a Bible perspective, they are 1. Sort of like when Jesus said: 'I and the Father are one.'...seperate from a human perspective, but a single being from...oh wait, that's the Trinity! Nevermind! The using that logic to defend the Trinity Doctrine never made any sense!"

• suavojr
    suavojr

The few that understand it, are waiting for for the big A to hit any minute now, and they postpone any normal future planning. Everyone else is just cruising and wishing for the best...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How this affects them? They simply don't care. They are taught to just throw up their hands when confronted with anything requiring more than 5 consecutive seconds of thought and say "Jehovah will take care of it".

What is important to them is that they'll get to see Aunt Sally in the resurrection, and they'll get their mountaintop / seaside mansion, and that they'll get to spend their days eating fruit and petting pandas.

If you ask then to explain their own doctrines you're obviously just trying to confuse them and damage their faith - you wicked, mentally diseased apostate!

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit