OMG: WT legislating about fragances and common sense

by pixel 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pixel
    pixel

Do they have to tell the R&F every little detail???

From the new WT:

What can be done to assist brothers and sisters who suffer from adverse reactions to fragrances?

Any who are sensitive to fragrances face a difficult challenge. Very likely, they have little control over their exposure to fragrances in day-to-day interactions with strangers. Yet, some have inquired whether it would be possible to request that the brothers and sisters refrain from using perfumes and colognes at Christian meetings, assemblies, and conventions.

Certainly, no Christian would knowingly want to make it difficult for another person to attend Christian gatherings. All of us need the encouragement that our meetings provide. (Heb. 10:24, 25) Consequently, any who suffer from fragrance sensitivity that is so severe that it hinders their meeting attendance may wish to discuss the matter with the elders. While it would not be Scriptural or appropriate to make rules about the use of fragrances by those attending meetings, the elders may be able to provide information to help congregation members understand the issues that others face. Depending on the circumstances, the elders may decide to consider previously published information in a local needs part during the Service Meeting, or they may choose to make a tactful announcement on the subject. * However, the elders cannot constantly be making announcements of this kind. At our meetings, there will always be newly interested people and visitors who are unaware of the problem, and we want such ones to feel welcome. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable because of his or her moderate use of fragrances.

Where the problem exists and local circumstances allow, it might be possible for the body of elders to arrange for those who are sensitive to fragrances to sit in a somewhat isolated area in the Kingdom Hall. For example, there may be a conference room equipped with sound where they could sit in order to benefit from the meetings. If the matter cannot be resolved reasonably and some are still suffering severely, the congregation may be in a position to record the meetings for these ones or to arrange for a telephone hookup to their home, as has been done for others who are confined to their homes.

In recent years, Our Kingdom Ministry has encouraged brothers and sisters to show special consideration in this matter while attending regional conventions. In view of the fact that most conventions are held in enclosed areas with mechanical ventilation, attendees have been asked to limit their use of strong fragrances at these events. Special consideration has been urged particularly in regard to regional conventions, since it is generally not possible to provide fragrance-free areas at the venues used. However, it was never intended that this direction become a general rule for congregation meetings, and it should not be interpreted as such.

While we live in this system of things, all of us suffer the consequences of inherited imperfection. How we appreciate the efforts of others to alleviate our suffering! It may represent a sacrifice for some to refrain from using perfume or cologne in order to make it easier for a brother or a sister to attend Christian meetings. Yet, love may prompt us to choose to do so.

• BelleStar
    BelleStar

But you know that it would only ever be the Sisters that would be asked to refrain from wearing perfumes, never the Brothers with their over-powering aftershaves..

• blondie
    blondie

The trouble is so many people don't know how they are using fragrances

1) the sister who sprayed her fur coat and then draped it over her chair or next to a person's coat who is allergic

2) the brother/sister who uses highly scented deodorant

3) the brother/sister who uses highly scented hair creme or spray

4) the sister who touches up her hair spray in the bathroom

5) the cleaning products that are highly scented

6) the jws that used highly scented breath spray

and then there are the jws that have allergies at the KH but not the supermarket, movie houses, etc.

• pixel
    pixel

is incredible that they have to publish this information. I guess this is "meat in due time also? The R&F is getting mentally slow day after day...

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It IS incredible that they have to publish this. However, in defense of all those that have an allergy to fragrances, the rest of the R&F seriously lack common sense. Oh, wait... no, I'm wrong. They lack LOVE. Because they know EXACTLY who in their congregations have issues, but they selfishly wear those fragrances anyway.

Yes, I'm defending those who have an allergy because I personallly know several like that who are very sweet and don't make a big deal about it, but you know when they are suffering.

• blondie
    blondie

I work for a company that struggles with the lack of awareness of this problem among some employees. Some are very unbelieving there is a problem. That means that people have to wear no perfurme, use no products that are scented, change their personal life....

The people at work have it confirmed by a doctor and employees who did not adjust to a fellow employee's real problem can be disciplined.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Where the problem exists and local circumstances allow, it might be possible for the body of elders to arrange for those who are sensitive to fragrances to sit in a somewhat isolated area in the Kingdom Hall.

I quit going. Problem solved.

• pixel
    pixel

leaving_quielty nailed it. Lack of Love.

• label licker
    label licker

That was one of my pet peeves. The stench these young woman would put on themselves was horrible. And they know certain ones are sensitive to these smells yet some of them would be out in service touching up their nails with nail polish which was really low. No love is right!!!

• sir82
    sir82

I think I'm going to write in a QFR about whether it is more spiritual to pick my nose with my index finger or my pinky.

That is at least as gripping and spiritually essential as this folderol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit