OMG: WT legislating about fragances and common sense

by pixel 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Oh that the organization's acute sensitivity to the physiological perils of perfume and eu de cologne were matched by a kindly responsivty to the acute sensitivity to the physiological perils of studying the Watchtower.

I break out in a god-awful sweat and rash, coupled with tachycardia and difficulty breathing, with my over-loaded pea-sized amygdala sending neurological alarm after alarm to the already-overworked pre-frontal cortex. I'm in continual hyperventiliation, feeling as if I'm dying.

Solution: Sadly, I have to miss the Watchtower study. Please, elders, fix my dilemma - sensitively of course.

• flipper
    flipper

Good lord. They have to tell people whether or not to wear perfume ? Talk about control. Next thing you know they'll be telling people what kind of sex they can or cannot have. Oh wait- they already do that

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

This perfume controversy was going on years ago, way before I left off attending, which has been about 4 years now. HUGE arguments, sulks, insults, fits, and dirty looks. The back room with air filter began to be the home of a serious clique. They would squawk like geese if anyone so much as opened the door. Meanwhile people who wore the strongest and stinkingest crap toilette water refused to believe that their choice of scent could bother anyone. They would give me a hug and then I had to run home and shower and put my clothes in the washer.

There were lots of ones who said they could not enter the KH after the remodel because of the paint, carpet, etc. they would give their wt comments to the conductor before the meeting, over the phone!

Marina

• Fencing
    Fencing

There were lots of ones who said they could not enter the KH after the remodel because of the paint, carpet, etc. they would give their wt comments to the conductor before the meeting, over the phone!

Sounds like a great way to get out of going to the meetings.

I don't doubt that there are some actual legitimate cases of chemical sensitivity, but the absurd occourance rate within the JW world compared to outside means it HAS to be almost entirely psychological. Especially when, as someone else mentioned, you'll see these same people without fail enjoying life around all kinds of chemicals and perfumes in public. Their problems only seem to happen at the meetings.

The stereotypical "JW Chemical Sensitivity" is the minds of these poor people reacting to the stress of the Witness life - the cognitive dissonance, the arbritrary rules and regulations, the constant feeling of being judged - and trying to provide them with any sort of escape.

• tiki
    tiki

i think that article is a lot of words that say just about nothing. it's pretty simple - whether real or imagined people have or think they have sensitivities to certain substances. it is their personal responsibility to deal with their issue - not the rest of the world. if someone makes accomodation for a person or group with such sensitivities, fine - good for them. if they don't, life goes on.

if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

there is way too much pandering to personal whims in this world. this is a prime example. like the kids who can't bring peanut butter sandwiches to school for lunch because someone in some class somewhere in the building has a peanut allergy. if you're allergic take care of yourself - the world around you doesn't have to stop living because of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit