Night and Day from GB to Writing committee? Someone explain?

by thedepressedsoul 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I’m sure by now most of you are familiar with Anthony Morris talk from this weekend. I’m even seeing MEME’s posted all over Instagram from JW mocking it.

Here is my question, why are the things written so different from how the GB members, like Anthony Morris are? I know the GB don’t actually write the stuff but I was under the impression that they come up with the “spiritual light” pass if off to the writing committee and they put it in the publications. I could never imagine reading in our publications the stuff this guy was saying.

Here is my other question, if the GB have so much control at Bethel and Anthony felt this strongly on these matters to put them in a Zone Visit talk, why haven’t these things been put into one of the publications? It’s just strange to me and I’m getting a feeling that there is a night and day contrast.

Does anyone have input to offer?

Also, he said that he was going to quote the publications as proof and that it’s in writing and not his thoughts. Isn’t all written material his view point since he is a GB? Seems kind of a monopoly statement to me.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe for the more hardline stuff, they don't want it in print. They don't want to be quoted on what they really think via the pages of the publications.

If it's in a talk (which they don't want recorded, which they don't want the notes shared), the message can do its work, but years down the line, they might be left with only a vague impression of what was said. They can also discount it as one person's extreme viewpoint, not the official teaching, not the "food at the proper time" that can be found via the Watchtower. It's kind of a fudge factor so the Watchtower Society can say, "We never said that."

Often, there seems to be a "good cop/bad cop" phenomena going on.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Londo nailed it. The writing is public, the talks aren't supposed to be, and this one especially so. You can record a convention for your sick wife to be able to benefit, but they made no such allowance in their "no recordings" disclaimer. This time they went to great detail in the disclaimer and even forbade sharing your notes with anyone.

As for the clear circular logic (that boils down to - it's not my oppinion, for proof look at my oppinion written under a pseudonym!) I don't think many noticed. The JWs are trained to view the WT magazine as being on the same level as the bible, as if it's from god himself. So instead of seeing a man quoting from his own writings, they see a man quoting god.

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Yep. What they said

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

And you are smoking crack if ya think there.will ever be an apology or he will be asked to step down.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

If I understand correctly the Watchtower isn't against Yoga pants, 23 MS, tight pants, colored socks in writing but internally is. That way the media, apostates etc have nothing to quote and the WT can say that is not their offical teaching or stance. Those on the inside though, if they do not follow that direction are heavly looked down upon. Is my understanding correct?

That explains why there is also a night and day approach as to what is on JW.org and in the Awakes vs what is taught in the Kingdom Hall.

JW.org says members have a conscience decision to make about entertainment and movies while on the inside Twilight etc is mentioned as being wrong.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

That's it exactly. This is very common with cults, they have an external doctrine/image and an internal "members-only" doctrine.

If you ask a scientologist what it's all about, they'll say something about how it opens you up to your potential and helps you to understand your spirit etc. etc. Once you get in deep enough is when all the insane stuff about aliens and Xenu starts.

Same thing with the Mormons. When they come to your door they won't tell you that they all expect to be made into gods as a reward for their faith.

• hoser
    hoser

It is just like in Jesus' day. There was the written word and there was the oral tradition. Same thing today. The oral tradition( no beards, 10 hours per month required, no coloured socks bla bla bla) carries an equal value to the written word but is easier to change if needed. Same shit, different pile. Religious leaders have been treating the average joe like garbage for thousands of years. Nothing really changes over time.

• steve2
    steve2

Let's hope Prince was in the audience and was listening....

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

It all just blows my mind! There is so much in writing about MS not being a "status" and to be kind to ones that aren't and help them etc... Then you have Anthony on stage saying something completely different!

You know how many elders are going to use that age 23 line now when a sister asks about a future husband! Or when a elder seems something that looks tight to him! What if your socks have a little more color that day than normal? My mind was blown Saturday! This is the exact crap I was hoping they were getting away from based off of JW.org and new publications.

I feel like things are going backwards very fast and that it'll be the 60's all over again. Did we not just study 2 weeks ago about how all other religions cover over god's word with rules? How can JW.org show so much love and then see the GB be completely different.

Sorry for the rant but this really bothered me. I think I will always look back at that talk as the thing that truly awakened me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit