Are All Christians Appointed as a Watchman?

by Chris Tann 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

This is a question I have been trying to answer. At the branch visit yesterday, Morris discussed Eze.33,about ,how if we do not preach we are bloodguilty. I would like very much people who are well informed on this topic to show me a thorough scriptual answer. Please no sarcasm or anti Christian coments, I would very much appreciate this. Thank you.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I, too, have pondered this question for quite some time. I've come to the conclusion that the answer is no. Christ never gave any such command or commission. The closest anything comes in the NT is to invite others to repent and be baptized, but this is to fulfill the commission to make disciples and baptize them.

The next question is: are ALL Christians given this commission? This leads to a discussion of apostles and disciples. The word "apostles" means literally "sent forth ones". All apostles are also disciples, but not all disciples are also apostles. Thus, it's worth noting the commendation Christ gave to the congregation in Ephesus in Revelation 2:2:

‘I know your deeds, and your labor and endurance, and that you cannot tolerate bad men, and that you put to the test those who say they are apostles, but they are not, and you found them to be liars.

• Laika
    Laika

Hi Chris, have you read Ray Franz' In Search of Christian Freedom? He has some good stuff to say on this subject.

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Leaving_quietly: yes, good points. I have noticed in the epistles that preaching was primarily assigned by God to apostles and possibly the older men (elders). In these letters there is alot of admonition to the flock,but I never come across encouragement for them to continually preach. Even Paul said not ALL are evangilizers or teachers.

Also, one has to be sure that the end is near. I tend to agree with preterism,so I don't see that a cataclysmic end is impending. Therefore no need to sound a warning, but to make disciples. Thanks for your sincere answer.

Laika: Thanks, I will look into this today.

• designs
    designs

'bloodguilty' depends on your view of salvation, either as unrevocable or conditional.

• Divergent
    Divergent

First question: Who was this word addressed to & when?

Second question: What is the context of this scripture?

Third question: Is there any irrefutable evidence that this scripture applies to our time?

Fourth question: Are we directly appointed by Jehovah to be watchmen as Ezekiel was? (Ezekiel 33: 7)

Fifth question: If this scripture were to apply to our time, would it not also mean that ALL Christians are bloodguilty as it is virtually impossible for us to preach to EVERYONE that we meet?

Sixth question: What are Christians in our day really commanded to do?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think the anointed Jehovah's witnesses claim to be directly appointed to be the watchman as Ezekiel.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I would say that if God hasn't made the answer obvious in the Bible then one might want to rethink the validity of the Bible or God.

If I were an almighty loving father I'd make it obvious exactly what I wanted or expected without leaving it open to thousands of different religions to disagree over.

When I was a Christian I admit that I felt that as long as a person was born again that it mattered not what church they went to. In fact I went to several and got something different from each one. It was in church that I concluded that there was no God oddly enough despite going there to worship and being sincere in my belief. No doubt Ray Comfort would say something rude about that but hey.

I see both side if it's any consolation.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Ucantnome, the key word there is "claim"

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Thank you all for your valuable input. To Just Kidding: it appears in Ezekiel that this is God's standard at anytime a judgement is coming and someone is appointed to warn about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit