What triggered your doubts / awakening?

by Tornintwo 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I knew for a long time that they were drawing a very long bow when it came to the applying of scripture.

Ultimately though it was the

arrogant stupidity

lack of love, empathy or compassion

hypocrisy

small-minded petty tyrants AKA elders

the villagers with their bags of "stones" always ready to start throwing

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I could never get past the idea that God abandons mankind and yet were supposed to still love him but the eye opener about the cult is when Lett during one of his talks admits everyone at bethel thought the end was in 1975. I knew then that they lied when they said it was just elders and CO pushing that idea.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

For me it was their arrogant, self-worshipping attitude.

The elder that first studied with me said that the organization was just like a beast of burden for Jehovah. That sounded humble but the following years showed that the organization was no where like that.

First there was a statement I heard from the platform that went "An elderly woman once said that when the Watchtower came in the mail it was like opening a letter from Jehovah." The elder told us that was a fine attitude to have.

Then I heard the oft quoted statement: "Even if the organization is wrong how dare you correct it, you're running ahead of Jehovah."

Finally there was the comparison of a scripture that spoke about the ark of the covenant which was being transported in a cart and was in danger of falling down. Then a person went to keep the ark from falling off and was instantly killed by Jehovah for touching it. Of course the ark of the covenant represented the organization and the unlucky man represented anyone who would dare correct it.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    the study of the revelation book began setting doubts for me. Also the societies stonewall haughty attitude when ever the media try to ask questions when some controversy comes along. It used to peeve me of big time why this loving new religion I had just joined behaved that way. It used to grind my gears until I learned ttatt
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    The deceitful use of misquotes and fallacious logic in the Evolution book.
  • kp138
    kp138
    For me it was JW association with the UN. When I went to the UN official website and saw proof of their involvement together my jaw dropped.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

What woke me up ...

My mother was married to my abusive father for 30 years. He was also an elder for most of those years. "Jehovah" didn't help us. The other elders didn't help us. Nobody helped us.

When things got so bad that we were in crisis mode, it was only outside agencies and "worldly" people that helped us. Then, I woke up. I was sixteen.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I don't think there was ever a time when I was ever really in. I was always ashamed of being a witness. I hid the fact from everyone I could. What a way to grow up. My family pushed me into baptism what a mistake that was!!

There were always doubts that I had but strangely most of the rest of my family toed the party line, and still do.

Any of the born in ones feel the same as me? I don't think I am alone.

• dgeero
    dgeero
    For me it was the overlapping generation watchtower study after the RNWT came out. I remember reading the paragraph and not seeing a single scripture quoted as to why the generation was overlapping "generations". I started googling, came across crisis of conscience etc. I was out mentally half way into it. Haven't been to a meeting in a year and a half though I did attend the memorial. My family and wife know I don't believe any of the BS anymore but my wife is inactive too and no one has reported me to elders for my filthy apostasy yet haha which is surprising given how much I try to share TTATT with them.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm with us, truthseeker. Always dreaded someone seeing my blood card when I had my wallet out, always tried to hide that I wasn't singing happy birthday. I hated having to explain things about being a jw that didn't really make sense to me (even though I could parrot the official logic perfectly) it really sucked.

Also - as FMF said - asking myself if I'd be a jw were I not born in and the answer was always no.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit