This should be an interesting book to read

by Doug Mason 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have not yet read this book, but it should be interesting:

"The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined", Steven Pinker.

The publicity blurb states:

"Believe it or not, today we may be living in the most peaceful moment in our species' existence. In his gripping and controversial new work, New York Times bestselling author Steven Pinker shows that despite the ceaseless news about war, crime, and terrorism, violence has actually been in decline over long stretches of history. Exploding myths about humankind's inherent violence and the curse of modernity, this ambitious book continues Pinker's exploration of the essence of human nature, mixing psychology and history to provide a remarkable picture of an increasingly enlightened world."

Doug

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

You can get a good idea of the message of the book by listening to his speech on the subject. Here is the version given at Yale University. Long, but very engaging. It will give you new insight about our age. Is it really more violent? Are we worse than we were in the Middle Ages or even a century ago?

Well worth your time. Get a snack and something to drink and hunker down. You will never forget this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuCGc-Rw3Y

JV

• Ocean1111
    Ocean1111

Bliss sells better than doom, imo. Realism is often misinterpreted as doom. But he may be correct, haven't seen his take, but will watch the video soon.

But what if it is a "calm before the storm"?

Now on the recent talks at the Valdai Discussion Club, this statement struck me as blunt truth as to the requirement of yet more global intrigues and destabilization to come before culmination of a true global governance:

Article: Opening Session: The Limits of Governability, or Systemic Failure

"The global crisis was considered in the context of the failure to find an alternative model to global governance following the end of the Cold War. As a result, the modern world is much less stable than the world that existed during the confrontation between the two superpowers. Moreover, the destabilization is not yet complete."

http://valdaiclub.com/valdai_club/73082.html

Thus the book you mention may be describing a perceived "calm before the storm", when in reality in a global political sense a post Cold War devolution is what is really in action and still progressing, depending on how one interprets the stats. From 1830 to today, the world went from 1 billion to 7 billion, making any relation to former times of course a bit impossible at such a geometric increase as that, all under Anglo forming domination.

I'll have to see his rationale. In some empires I know of in research it gets worse as they are nearing full decline into a new empire, then it stabilizes again. I think we are in a transition to a uni-polar system that has yet to provide the climax global chaos period, for the final order to emerge and be accepted as needed, because even now it is needed. But it takes a decade to bridge that final cycle, imo. That it utilizes cyclic developments is pretty much common knowledge by many globalization experts, its just a basic principle of human civilization.

Question is where in the post Cold War cycle are we?

Either great stability is forming or world record instability, it can't just be seemingly static like this forever. Given the NATO global expansion magnitude during and since GWOT it seems they are preparing, in global military overdrive, for the instability cycle, imo. But those stats fail to make many books.

Example: It was also the most peaceful period of Sioux and Cheyenne existence with Washington in the 3 years preceding the Little Big Horn*, since the Red Cloud War of the 1860's. At the same time the Sioux peaked in their US Gov't trader provided and trade (etc) provided armaments, and it all added up for one hoe down of a show down for Crook and Custer in 1876. Classic microcosm of a "calm before the storm" example.

(1. Custer's Last Campaign: Mitch Boyer and the Little Bighorn Reconstructed; *2. Centennial Campaign: The Sioux War of 1876
    By John S. Gray)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm about 1/2 way through it. It's a fun and entertaining read, but massive in scope. Some of the middle chapters have a lot of data to wade through, but most of it is pretty accessible.

Pinker has a very straightforward way of writing that I really enjoy.

His plain talk bashing of the religion in general and the Bible in particular is refreshing for it's candor. He really destroys the myth that Jehovah is a God of love.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see massive warning signs. The world was safer with power shared between the United States and the Soviet Union. I trusted the Soviets more than such states as Iran. Global warming will bring much stress. Technology can be used for great good and utter destruction of the planet. Western democracies, especially the United States, are not educating their children to face complex problems. Good school districts graduate college bound students who cannot even guess what century our war of independence or the Civil War occurred. The elite schools graduate ever brighter and well-prepared students but there is a chasm below that level. I also fear the emphasis on college as only preparation for jobs rather than as preparation for an enlighted citizenry.

Elites may be leaders but we have a wide franchise. Policy towards peaceful and rational solutions cannot be imposed on masses. I cannot agree with this author's conclusion. Also, in a truly global war bad consequences are not limited to borders. Past violence during the Middle Ages was primarily local. Bioterrorism stayed on the battlefield or an adjoining city. It is a better to be a realist than surrender to bliss.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Comprehensive, but lots of statistics, from what I remember.

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

I own this book, I have to thank cofty for recommending it. it's a long bit excellent read that gave me hope for humanity.

• cofty
    cofty

It should be required reading for every ex-JW.

I cannot agree with this author's conclusion - BOTR

It's clear from your weird comments that you haven't the first clue what the book is about or the abundance of evidence he presents.

Read it and then comment. That should be obvious for somebody who boasts in most of her posts about her education.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I am almost done with this book, which I am reading to understand the counter agurment in other books I have read ( to gain and informed opinion). Very thorough and interesting with well developed arguements.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

if i read it will i get depressed ? I sure am about the lack of concern for global warming , all i can think of is that in 15 years when my grandchild is going to be a mom, and my son has kids, the world will be a disaster environmentally, and then the 6th extinction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit