$13.5 million to a San Diego man

by truthseekeriam 37 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

By Jenny Day

Story Published: Oct 31, 2014 at 9:01 AM PDT

Story Updated: Oct 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM PDT

A multi-million dollar settlement has been announced in a child sex abuse case. The abuse happened more than 25 years ago, but didn't come to light until recently.

It was a seven-year-old and a minister. And for years, the Jehovah's Witnesses have been accused of covering up the crimes. At 10:30 Friday morning, the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society - who oversees the Jehovah's Witnesses will pay this victim $13.5 million.

This victim was a member of the Linda Vista Spanish Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses back in 1986.

The minister of the bible study admitted to abusing children, but avoided prosecution by fleeing to Mexico.

The victim's attorney says the church never reported it to police, and that there are more secrets to come.

"This problem of childhood sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses organization is insidious and it is an epidemic."

The attorney of the Watch Tower says Jehovah's Witnesses do not tolerate child abuse.

Stay with www.sandiego6.com for updates. This story will also air on San Diego 6 News at 10 p.m.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Jehovah's Witnesses abhor getting busted for child abuse and strive to protect the Watchtower Corporation from such embarrassing accusations.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• DNCall
    DNCall

From what I can tell so far, this is not a settlement but a judgment. WT would not appeal a settlement but they do appeal adverse judgments. The coverage on San Diego 6 is very poor in this regard. Also, WT settlements are usually, if not always, confidential. Confidentiality is an important requirement of the settlements they enter into. Oviously, this is not confidential.

If you want to track this case and its history you can logon to the San Diego Superior Court website under Register of Actions. The case number is 37-2012-00099849. WT has hired the same appellate attorney who is representing them in the Candace Conti matter.

• DNCall
    DNCall

In reviewing the docket in this case I found two interesting aspects. First, Lopez requested an entry of default against Watchtower and the request was granted by the court. The judgment could have been triggered by this default. If it was, or why their default was entered, will only be known by reading the court papers. Second, Gerrit Loesch was subpoenaed to be deposed as Watchtower's person most qualified. He, as an "interested party," filed papers with the court in order to have the subpoena quashed so he wouldn't have to be deposed.

If I have some time over the weekend, I will download some of the documents related to these two issues for some more clarity. JWLeaks needs to jump on this one!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Made the www.nbcnews.com website home page under US News.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is all about giving a witness.

So I type into my google search engine "Jehovah's Witnesses" and what pops up on the 1st page 4th article down:

'Jehovah's Witnesses ordered to pay $13.5 million to alleged victim'.

Now if that's not giving a good witness to the TTTATT I don't know what is!!!

And sooner or later active JWs who number into the hundreds of thounsands in the greater L.A. Basin area, Ventura County, Riverside County, Orange County and San Diego County will stumble across this 'Breaking News' and that my friends I call a 'Good Witness'!!!

• tank
    tank

So every JW will have to chip in an extra $2. IT probably won't hurt them that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit