Honey who-who???

by sparrowdown 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mum
    Mum

Thanks for the apology, Gregor.

FHN: I did not mean to imply that all Appalachians are on food stamps and/or welfare. However, most of my family is at this point. In the '50's, we were able to own our own land and grow our own food. That's a dream now more than a reality. Many Appalachians have gotten educated and own businesses. The lucky ones have become country music stars (e.g., Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton) and movie stars (e.g., Patricia Neal and Polly Bergen) or media stars (e.g., Diane Sawyer).

I do realize, too, that there are ignorant, uneducated people everywhere, even in the wealthiest suburbs. As a child, I was stigmatized after we moved to another state, so we had the image of being backward (probably largely because of our dialect) no matter how we really were.

I've never watched the show, so I wasn't sure where it took place. The descriptions I've heard made me believe it probably was Appalachia.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As a child, I was stigmatized after we moved to another state, so we had the image of being backward (probably largely because of our dialect) no matter how we really were.

My parents met at Auburn University as students. My mother was born and raised in Atlanta, GA. She told us people would be prejudiced against us and think us stupid, just by hearing our southern accents. She made us pay her nickels from our allowance for things like double negatives and ending a sentence with a preposition and other improper bits of grammar.

As a child I lived first in Mobile, AL where I was born, then cajun country of Louisiana SW of NOLA and then on to Atlanta for jr. high and high school. I've lived many places as an adult. I ended up buying a house in the foothills of the Appalachians, 40 miles north of Atlanta. Most people in our town were educated and refined. We did have some very country folk, too. The thing is, it's a very small minority of families who put their children in pageants. There are redneck, hillbilly families in the area, but even a lot of them are just regular folks who act nothing like the Honey Boo Boo show. You find people just as backward up here in Michigan. When it comes down to the brass tacks, though, most people anywhere you go have average IQs and aren't terribly deep thinkers. As long as people are getting along with each other, who cares? Honey Boo Boo is entertainment.

• Gregor
    Gregor

MUM I have sent you a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit