Honey who-who???

by sparrowdown 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I do apologize for my extreme ignorance, but I am curious.

Who the hell are honey boo boo, sugar bear and mama june??

And more to the point.

Why the hell are some Americans so obsessed with them?

I just don't get it.

• Simon
    Simon

It's a reality show about some poor white family with a loud-mouth kid. That's all I know.

Don't try to understand American TV, just accept that it exists and besides lots of dross it produces Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and other moments of greatness.

• andrewmartyn
    andrewmartyn

I think they are forcing us to buy HBO...they are making TV so terrible that you have to take a higher package.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Why the hell are some Americans so obsessed with them? I just don't get it.

As an American it's actually embarrassing to for people to see this crap and comment on the silliness of it. Same with Duck Dynasty.

• Gregor
    Gregor

There is an entire category of reality TV that is successful because it makes you feel superior and intelligent compared to the - hoarders, filthy housekeepers, white trash-etc. I don't care for them.

There is another category that I do watch. That is the hard working people who make a living for themselves through dangerous and very demanding endeavours such as commercial fishing, heavy haul trucking in rugged conditions and self sufficient people living (off the grid) on the edges of civilization.

Another category?

• Mum
    Mum

Honey BooBoo is a child living in Appalachia, traditionally a place that lagged behind the rest of the U.S. in education and economic development. Appalachian Americans have commonly been called "hillbillies," and other derogatory terms, such as "briars" or "briarhoppers." Mama June apparently is Honey BooBoo's mom. Traditional Appalachians tended to be fundamentalist Christians, but the social upheaval begun in the 1960's has affected them, too. I don't know if Honey Boo Boo was born out of wedlock or not. There has been a lot of talk lateley because, apparently, Mama June currently is dating a child molestor. I have never watched the TV program entitled "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" or something similar, but I have heard others speak of it.

I do think Appalachian Americans (of whom I number myself and my family), because of our poverty and backwardness, apparent lack of ambition or education, give other Americans someone to look down upon and laugh at.

If you would like to see a realistic depiction of Appalachian life in the 20th century, I recommend the film Coal Miner's Daughter starring Sissy Spacek as the country singer Loretta Lynn growing up in Butcher Hollow ("Holler") Kentucky in the 1940's and being pushed into fame and fortune as a country singer/songwriter by her abusive husband.

I grew up in East Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky in the 1950's, and am grateful for the experience of having lived in Appalachia before the days of welfare and food stamps. We had a culture then. We had pride then. We could hold our head up and know we were surviving and sometimes thriving despite our lack of education or mainstream culture.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I apologize for using the term "white trash". I know better. Millions of good, decent people are poor and poorly educated.

There are white trash but they should not be lumped in with decent poor people.

• talesin
    talesin

Mum

I live in Canada's Appalachian Region. In one part of my province, we had the same culture of coal-mining, the company store, the whole nine yards. A proud people who are able to laugh in the worst of times, and make the best of things. It takes a lot of courage to go down in the mines, and my admiration for these people is strong, in spite of some of the, shall we say, social problems that may still exist in some areas. Have you seen the movie, Bastard Out of Carolina? I'd like to read the book. There has been, and will continue to be abuse, in all parts of the country, and it's a sad thing that other people enjoy looking down their nose on these proud and fiercely independent people of your regoin.

tal

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Please understand that not all of America embraces Honey Boo Boo, which is from the "reality TV" genre.

I have never shot anything but a water or B B gun, yet I made this bitstrip of me to show my sentiment about reality tV.

I share this lack of affinity for reality TV with many millions of Americans. Please do not ever think that it is America who loves voyeuristic TV. It is only some Americans who love that type of entertainment. Honey Boo Boo makes people feel superior, like geniuses really, in comparison. It's also like a train wreck, they can't help themselves from looking, the ones that watch anyway.

My feelings about almost all reality TV:

• Gregor
    Gregor

Now you've got to go to the Goodwill and get a "new" TV.

There might be a camera crew following you in the store.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit