Does The State Have The Right To Quarantine Someone Because They Might Have Ebola?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No, Simon. The New York Times reported it. Best selling books appeared. It is not a conspiracy theory. The American CDC had notice and time. Maybe science will never find a cure for ebola. Governors Cuomo (Democrat-NY) and Christie (Republican-NJ) knew this would happen. President Obama knew that sooner rather than later ebola would become an American problem. Altho to say it is a problem at this moment is gross exaggeration. Every year some Americans die from plague and scarier disease. The CDC manages it. My problem is not with the scientists at the CDC. I respect them. My problem is with Governors Cuomo and Christie imposing a quarantine not based on science.

Ebola will not be the end of civilization. Epidemics always happen. More Americans will die from poorly designed cars and the flu this winter. Ebola is scary. I like President Obama on a personal level. People here know I worked very hard and donated money to help him become president. His policy of encouraging Doctors without Borders to fight ebola at its source seems wise. There is no reason to close this country to people from Western Africa. Yet I found his delivery lacking. When I find my local governors calming me more than the president, I wonder. This is a consistent problem with President Obama. The great intellect at work divorced from practical application.

I observed a cross -section of this metropolis at a hospital very close to Bellevue. President Kennedy had a lot of stupid Cold War political things going on when I was young. Yet I remember the Cuban Missle Crisis vividly. Pres. Kennedy appeared on television. You felt you had a leader. President Obama has a lot of power because he cannot be re-elected. Committed Democrats should get in touch with the White House. President Obama really messed up with first presidential debate. Cuomo appears to be backing down. This should not be a partisan discussion. I feel we should defer to scientists who have a track record of managing diseases

I don't know. When I do volunteer work, I want to be able to go home. Fight the illness in Africa. If you quarrel with 1976, take it up with the editors of the New York Times, and the executive producers at CNN, CBS, NBC, and ABC.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

The incubation period can be up to 21 days. Make sure she receives any pay she would otherwise receive, and require the quarantine. The Dr. from New York lied, went about his business, including riding the subway, and he came down ebola. While it may not be easy to contract, it can be stopped before others contract it. Would you be a bit nervous if you knew you had rode on the same subway as the good doctor? For those who will say no, it's easy to say if you're not in the position.

There is no good answer for this, as we do not want health care volunteers to avoid going to the stricken countries for fear of being quarantined, but they are taking a measured risk going there anyway. If they know up front what will be required, they can make a decision, Perhaps go for a shorter than planned time frame to accomodate for the time in quarantine. It's a small price to pay for public safety.

• Scully
    Scully

Ebola is contagious when the infected person exhibits symptoms, which develop within 8-21 days of contracting the illness. It is not airborne. You have to physically come in contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected, symptomatic person to be at risk of contracting Ebola.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Ebola is contagious when the infected person exhibits symptoms, which develop within 8-21 days of contracting the illness. It is not airborne. You have to physically come in contact with the blood or body fluids of an infected, symptomatic person to be at risk of contracting Ebola.

No offense, Scully. But this is a perfect example of someone who has accepted the latest "official" information. The above statement has already been modified to the point that it is meaningless.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Yea Scully, you wouldn't want to rely on them there "professionals", or "scientists" for your information.

• Gregor
    Gregor

gratuitous snark duly noted. LOL, history reader and unofficial expert on everything.

Thank you, ms. Kumbaya.

However many try to politicize this fresh disaster, the status quo of the situation is still in flux.

• BizzyBee
  • Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Back in the day I remember having the quarantine sign our our door when chicken pox and mumps and measles went around. This was common then. We just don't know enough about Ebola and the possibility it could mutate and become airborne. This women is in the medical field and is putting her rights before the health and safety of her neighbors. She's selfish, and is probably a political plant. I'm glad that some states are acting on their own to protect their community. The government has made a mess of it. President Ebola would rather listen to the CDC, but the States are taking their own precations.

Shana

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Ever the voice of knowledge. Governor Christie is such an eminent, Nobel winning scientist. Governor Coumo, too.

• talesin
    talesin

Only in America. This person has sure made a big news splash, and unfortunately, it's ramped up the fear factor.

Whatever is known/nor known about the virus, sheesh ... she had 21 days off, I'm sure with pay, and could have just said "what the hell, I know I'm not contagious, but I'll consider this a paid vacation."

Instead, she had to have her RIGHTS! How bourgeousie. PPPHHHT!

Stir the pot, drum up the fear,,, good job.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit