Does The State Have The Right To Quarantine Someone Because They Might Have Ebola?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

She had a 100+ degree fever when she returned. That is what brought attention to her. Other folks returning from similar missions and show no temperature

above normal are not detained, but simply asked to monitor themselves. She hasn't a chance in hell of successfully suing anybody, but the ambulance chasers are lining up for the suit.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Approx. 3000 troops will be quarantined for 21 days on return from Africa whether they have symptoms or not.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Would you give her a friendly kiss on the cheek? Until she is proven clear, she should be willing to sacrifice her right to move freely and if she is not prepared to cooperate she has to be quarantined against her will. If she is clear, then we all let out a sigh of relief with her. She emerges outraged but unharmed, everyone goes home safe.

• sporece
    sporece

Call Donald Trump....he has the answer to everything.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Call Donald Trump....he has the answer to everything.

He is in his Tower, taking a shower

Washing his hairs and counting his shares.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Did she have any symptoms? But wasn't she tested and no Ebola was found in her blood? Is this approach medical or scientific? Do only people in those countries have Ebola?

My understanding (I could be wrong) was that she had a fever (as measured from her forehead) upon arriving in the US, but the fever was likely because she was flushed and angry at the time it was taken, a later measurement of her internal temperature showed no fever. She's continued to be asymptomatic, with multiple blood tests showing no ebola.

To me, this mostly seems like a political move, and a poorly thought out one, at that. I do believe that the government should have the ability to forcibly impose quarantine, but I don't think this one was done properly.

• minimus
    minimus

This could be a political move.

• undercover
    undercover

She had a 100+ degree fever when she returned. That is what brought attention to her.

From the news report that I read, it said she had a temperature at the airport, but was normal at the hospital. She also tested negative for the virus. Forced quarantine would be unnecessary at this point. Asking her to come in every couple days for a check up and blood sample would not be too much to ask, however.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

Comparing the flu and ebola is not reasonable. The estimated rate of fatlity for the flu is .5 percent of those that contract according to the CDC. Its an estimate because so many cases are unreported as it is a mild disease. Ebola has a fatlity rate (in its current strain) of over 50%, some sources put it closer to 75%. It also has a 21 day incubation period during which you can be totally asymptomatic. Its a no brainer.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I'm all for civil liberties, but I don't want idiots breaking Ebola quarantine just because they think they can do what they please. Ebola can be very deadly if some idiot "thinks" they don't have it and they actually do. Do you want yourself,your kids, or other loved ones possibly exposed to Ebola by stupid people breaking quarantine? People with HIV who willfully infect sexual partners or fail to disclose they are HIV positive face criminal charges.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It seems the problem is early detection.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/diagnosis/

ELISA test. http://www.healthline.com/health/elisa#Overview1

PCR test. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/28/359567808/blood-test-for-ebola-doesnt-catch-infection-early

So a person who had potential exposure to the disease and is showing symptoms (i.e. fever), it still may take days to positively identify if they have the disease.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit