Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

by Gnostic Bishop 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gnostic Bishop
    Gnostic Bishop

humbled

From what I have been able to dither out, they had the laity, priests and Bishops. They did not seem to want the various other church offices that Christianity went in for. In today's world, they may have added a few offices. The world is a lot bigger today than then.

Regards

DL

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Episcopal Church defines hell as alienation from God. No one is teaching hell fire in mainstream denominations. I am so tired of Christianity being defined by a bunch of ignorant fundamentalist nuts.

• Gnostic Bishop
    Gnostic Bishop

humbled

"no answer for me?"

You got just a touch ahead of me my friend.

Regards

DL

• Gnostic Bishop
    Gnostic Bishop

Band on the Run

You lucky son of a gun. I would have given my eye teeth to have studied under Ms. Pagels. Her book on Eden started me on my path to being a Gnostic Christian.

I believe that the sequence of how Gnostic Christianity came to be goes like this. Although I don't know if we can prove it for sure this far up the time line. It may not matter too much as we have evolved away from some of our older beliefs.

I see the Jewish Kabalists and Universalist Catholics as friendly to each other as we both recognized Eden as man's elevation and not the fall that Christianity later put to it. We were both rather proud sects and Rome had no use for those who did not like to kowtow to tyranny the way they could get the church that Constantine bought to do. Gnostic Christianity thus predated the Christianity and Catholicism we know today.

As to the actual scriptures you seem to want to put authority in, please remember that, according to Karen Armstrong, Gnostic Christians and Jews used to change the wording and position of word in scriptures all the time. We both saw scriptures as being written, not to be literally believed, but just to open dialog about God. They sought God and were not idol worshipers like those who thought they had found a Godinabook like Christian idol worshipers do even today.

Regards

DL

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I chose mainstream Christianity decades ago. The Cathedral Church of St. John Divine, Union Theological Seminary and Woodstock Jesuit Seminary played major roles in my decision. I stumbled upon them just as I was tasting freedom for the first time. Mainstream churches are safe. The diocese wanted me to try being a canonical lawyer so I took a Systematic Theology course at General Theological, the Episcopal seminary. I expected a very Anglican experience. To my surprise and delight, the class was composed of students from all the Protestant denominations and the Orthodox church. Daniel Berrigan and other Jesuits showed me that Roman Catholicism can be delightful and intelligent. There is lay/clergy traffic in Columbia's neighborhood. Once for about four weeks, the Cathedral priests were joined by the Woodstock Catholic priests in consecrating the Eucharist. I was told it would not last long once the higher powers found out. It was very exciting.

John's gospel approaches Gnosticism, in my opinion. No one imposes "doctrinal rules" on my thought process. My views are pretty tame compared to other worshipers. Christianity can be elegant. The music can touch part of you that you didn't know existed. Art in all its forms can be sponsored. I almost did not get confirmed b/c I could not pin down doctrines the way Witnesses do. I was told that the Church is a community asking questions together. My questions begin with why suffering exists and when Christ will come. What His Second Coming will bring I can't begin to imagine. Unlike some here, Christ does not talk to me. Perhaps I will want normal life. I do feel gnostic strands in my soul but physicality is important to me.

• Laika
    Laika

I like aspects of gnosticism, but overall find it too dualistic for my tastes.

I am also not convinced that Gnosticism has historically been less patriarchal than orthodoxy.

• humbled
    humbled

Laika--

Yep-that patriarchy thing--it's tied up with hierarchy--which Gnostic Bishop says they do have presently. And it's an evolving religion.

So who proposes the
    "New Light" when there is an evolutionary change? The rank &file? Or like most religions they are not supposed to be anything but silent empty-minded vessels for the real spiritual guides?

Nothing really new then--even if they start out different they all end up the same.

• Gnostic Bishop
    Gnostic Bishop

Band on the Run

I am confused. You say ythat you chose Christianity. I assume you accepted the apostles creed as all good Christians must, as far as I know, so how can you say that such beliefs do not imposes "doctrinal rules" on your thought process?

Laika

I don't know what you are talking about. Equality is a big thing to a Universalist religion like ours.

You might recognize that we are one of the few Abrahamic cults who do give women and gays full equality.

We see it as our duty and do not follow the usual Christian mysoginy. We think, --- he shall rule over you, as God says, to be a garbage part of Christianity.

humbled

No two Gnostics are alike as you say, but we are all equal which is not what can be said by your religion.

Regards

DL

• jgnat
    jgnat

Unitarian Universalists

• James Brown
    James Brown

I got the Nag Hammadi Library today.

I am looking forward to reading it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest