Mental Disorders among JW's

by Blackfalcon98 87 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

talesin: The depression that can be caused by cognitive dissonance (CD) is widespread among the JW community.

Good point. I appreciate the way you explained this.

The battle between what we SEE and what we are/were told to BELIEVE is really powerful, particularly is the individual is observant and tries to be even remotely thoughtful.

Nice explanation of how cognitive dissonance works in the mind of a typical JW.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I had depression because of cognitive dissonance.

Here is what I've observed because of mental disorders in the jw's: My mom married my step-dad when I was 7. She had just become a jw and he was fairly new to it as well. A year after they married we moved to Utah to preach to mormons because of the whole "move to where the need is great" BS, plus the congregation in California just wasn't "spiritual enough". Eventually he became an elder. After some issue in the congregation he came to the conclusion that mormons had done some long term infiltration in the hall and they were coming to get us. We jumped in the car with only what we were wearing and drove to California.Long story short, we eventually ditched him when god was telling him that my mom had been having sex with my youngest brother and he was trying to figure out a good way to kill her as punishment. He spent a few days in a mental institution. We thought it was just a mental breakdown and life went on.

Apparently, demons had always been talking to him but it wasn't for a few more years until he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

He had a study one time that also heard voices. Because of this she immediately thought she must be one of the annointed when she found out about the whole 144,000 thing.

There was also a guy that would occasionally show up at the meetings in Utah. He partook at the memorial. One time he put a gun down by his chair at a meeting. He was told he couldn't bring it anymore.

I've known some and heard about some commiting suicide. Seen a bunch of other weird behavior.

Overall I think the religion is a magnet for people with disorders. It tells them what they want to hear.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

OH SHIT!!! Enzo is pissed!! Simon!! Lock this thread down before OUB's unsubstantiated claims bring about the apocalypse! Enzo! Please forgive us! What can I do to appease your anger?!?!

DD

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Oubliette. It's just old skills, having been a teacher at a community college years ago, writing my own courses (personal computing in the 80s, it was a new field back then, and hey, those were exciting times!), and corporate trainer for a while. I really admire teachers like yourself, though. It is truly a calling, and if you are teaching in the public school system, underpaid. Take care of yourself and don't get burnt out.

xx

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Spectre - whoa, you have been through the fire. And I agree with your conclusion "It tells them what they want to hear." I see that in my family ,, oh yeah.

You've also reminded me of a boy I grew up with, a JW. He was a sweet guy. Then, one day we heard on the news that he had stabbed a local girl to death, like 15 or 20 times, very brutal. We were the same age, around 17/18 years old. He was found guilty, and sentenced to life in prison. Of course, this was big news and all over the press at the time (mid-70s). He had been hearing voices that told him to kill the next person that came along. I went to see him while he was still in the local jail (he had to do federal time, of course, in another province). By this time, several years had passed, as it takes time for these things to go through the so-called justice system.

Anyway, he had grounds for appeal because of the voices, so I asked him why he didn't appeal. He told me that he did it, and wanted to go to prison and pay for it. He was never diagnosed with anything. I feel sure that the upbringing in the WTS had a lot to do with his psychotic break. So sad.

I hope you are living large, and feeling fine now. xx

tal

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Talesin, thanks for the kind words about teaching. I appreciate it.

I don't know if this will be surprising to you our not, but one of the things that really helps me stay enthusiastic about my teaching is by continuing to learn myself. I am currently working on a Masters in Education. The coursework considers a number of different subjects that are almost always immediately applicable to my teaching and my students.

The last course dealt with At-Risk students. Needeless to say, I have a few. Even thought I've been a teacher for a couple of decades, I find that there is so much I can still learn which helps me be more effective with my kids.

I even have a few JW students. It is very interesting to work with them considering where I am in my own personal journey. Of course, none of them know my opinions about the WTBTS. I just focus on teaching them how to think clearly and for themselves. Hey, it's what the Common Core State Standards are all about!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

One thing is for certain:

The Jehovah's Witnesses religion doesn't help or prevent the ultimate price that individuals pay who suffer from depression or some other mental disorder. A JW (sister) friend who I grew up with and who had moved to the east coast for a change in hopes it would help her cope.....ended it all! Sad!!!

If suicide among JWs is an indicator, mental disorders among JWs is indeed very real!!!

• kairos
    kairos

I was aware of many JW's on meds over the years.

Should have woke me up, but didn't.

They were just imperfect...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit