Mental Disorders among JW's

by Blackfalcon98 87 Replies latest jw experiences

• hoser
    hoser

As recently as a year ago elders in my congregation were implying to a friend of mine that his mental illness was a direct result of some secret sin he was hiding.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I know someone (no details will be revealed to protect them), that was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. The Doctor said it was likely due to being raised in a high control cult.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Enzo: you think that statistics about PD from one nation are sufficcient to the psychiatric world to make such claims about JW's

I think nothing of the kind.

Your ongoing habit of reading things into posts which were neither stated nor implied is frustrating. That being said, I suggest that you refrain from personal attacks and focus on the topic rather than the person when you disagree with something.

I'm guessing by "PD" you mean Personality Disorder. It would be helpful if you don't use abbreviations without first explicitly stating what they mean.

There was nothing in my post about Personality Disorder. I referred to one reliable source concerning the prevalence of Any Mental Illness among adults in the US. Although the religion known as JW has spread internationally, it is originally and still is primarily an American religion.

It would be interesting to see similar data from other countries. If you'd like to find some, that would be appreciated.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

For Enzo:

Apparently--and this was surprising to me--Americans are less likely to have any mental illness than their European counterparts.

European population studies

A 2004 cross-European study found that approximately one in four people reported meeting criteria at some point in their life for one of the DSM-IV disorders assessed, which included mood disorders (13.9%), anxiety disorders (13.6%) or alcohol disorder (5.2%). Approximately one in ten met criteria within a 12-month period. Women and younger people of either gender showed more cases of disorder ( Angermeyer, A., 2004)

A 2005 review of 27 studies have found that 27% of adult Europeans is or has been affected by at least one mental disorder in the past 12 months. It was also found that the most frequent disorders were anxiety disorders, depressive, somatoform and substance dependence disorders. ( Wittchen, J., 2005)

- - - - - - - - - -

References

Alonso J, Angermeyer MC, Bernert S, et al. (2004). "Prevalence of mental disorders in Europe: results from the European Study of the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders (ESEMeD) project". Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl 109 (420): 21–7. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0047.2004.00327.x. PMID 15128384

Wittchen HU, Jacobi F (August 2005). "Size and burden of mental disorders in Europe--a critical review and appraisal of 27 studies". Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15 (4): 357–76. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2005.04.012. PMID 15961293.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Delusion is usually a symptom of some deeper mental problem

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The global burden of mental disorders: An update from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) Surveys

Methods

The WMH surveys are representative community surveys in 28 countries throughout the world aimed at providing information to mental health policy makers about the prevalence, distribution, burden, and unmet need for treatment of common mental disorders.

Results

The first 17 WMH surveys show that mental disorders are commonly occurring in all participating countries. The inter-quartile range (IQR: 25 th –75 th percentiles) of lifetime DSM-IV disorder prevalence estimates (combining anxiety, mood, externalizing, and substance use disorders) is 18.1–36.1%. The IQR of 12-month prevalence estimates is 9.8–19.1%. Prevalence estimates of 12-month Serious Mental Illness (SMI) are 4–6.8% in half the countries, 2.3–3.6% in one-fourth, and 0.8–1.9% in one-fourth. Many mental disorders begin in childhood-adolescence and have significant adverse effects on subsequent role transitions in the WMH data. Adult mental disorders are found to be associated with such high role impairment in the WMH data that available clinical interventions could have positive cost-effectiveness ratios.

Conclusions

Mental disorders are commonly occurring and often seriously impairing in many countries throughout the world. Expansion of treatment could be cost-effective both from both employer and societal perspectives.

• Enzo
    Enzo

Oubliette: your gues was wrong: PS means Psychiatric orders.. And that's the problem with you... to gues, to allude, to assume before asking, or having accurate information.. you are presenting statistics about different countries.. Great! But they don't prove that Religion is a dominant factor why people has Psychiatric disorders.. in your previous post you did indeed presented that opinion.. But again you are not specialized in PD, again, it is too complex, and this work has to be done by specialized doctors..in PD, thus I will forgive your ignorance, and I think other well thinking members too.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Enzo: Oubliette: your gues was wrong: PS means Psychiatric orders

I had to guess because you didn't say.

You're really a piece of work.

Most of your last post is completely incomprehensible.

Get a clue!

• Enzo
    Enzo

Oubliette: indeed I made a mistake: PD means Psychiatric disorders.. I have no problem to correct a mistake... That can not be said from anybody.. Isn't it? And by the way if my post are incomprehensible for you, than it is not a great efford, to ask for more clarification..But you are from the same category of Cedars.. like to criticize, but don't like to be criticised, when manipulated information is presented...and that's the case of your opinions presented here about Religion being the dominant factor why JW's has PD's..

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore

I once told someone that if I heard another witness claim to have bi-polar that I would go off on them. I think that what they were really saying was, "I'm tired. I can't deal with this anymore. I want to be left alone. I'm trying to make sense of everything, maybe I need help". They are told constantly that the world is an evil place, everything is temporary, nothing we do is good enough, shun, hate, be prepared to let your kids die or be prepared to shun them too, the congregation is a haven of love, what? you don't believe that, then you are crazy! I realized after waking up that witnesses also have no sense of reality, they live in a matirx of fantasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit