Life is short and I'm gonna love it thread!

by poopsiecakes 46 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

So what are you doing to enjoy yourself? Doesn't have to be for anyone around you, or have anything to do with JW world. Just something that you do for you and only you and that fills your soul (whatever that means). Me? It's photography - looking at it, taking my own pictures, vacations where I get to frame beauty in a lens - that's what fills me up. And single malt whisky, but that's another topic.

What about you? What makes you happy? What do you lose yourself in?

• kaik
    kaik

I am back at school to complete my masters, so not much free time. Last year to go. I studied masters years back in topic that my employer paid partially as benefit for my work. I decided to start again in topic I like, so I need to survive one more year of it. While I love to study, I do not like schools. I been always nerd and good student (never had B in my class, never both under and postgrad), but I do not like campus settings, lectures, and writting articles. I like learning new things, I wish I could learn another masters in mathematics, maybe in retirement just for fun.

I love gardening on my backard. Planting blooming shrubs, and turning my place into small oases of peace and tranquality.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Playing in a band with a couple good friends and losing one's self in a collective musical endeavor. It happens rather infrequently and the playing is always fun but sometimes, it's just "on" and what should happen, does happen. It's a rush.

Carpe that diem

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I like drinking beer watching cartoons in my underwear I'm also a bit of a writer

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I love keeping my mind active by researching a multitude of topics including politics, religion, science, psychology, philosophy, etc. I never get tired of learning new things. Plus is also love animals, especially dogs. They are great companions.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I love receiving spiritual food and encouragement from the Watchtower magazine which is supplied through the channeling efforts of the faithless and disturbed slackers who live in abject poverty in New York.

I also enjoy assemblies, madras shirts and saddle oxfords.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Great question. In fact, I had a neighbor ask me the same question last summer when we were over at his house for a cookout. Sittng around after a few beers, he asks me: so what is your passion (that is how they ask the question in Poland). I thought for a moment and it occured to me that I don't have one. Sad. He wouldn't accept that as an answer and kept pressing me. Finally his wife sensing my discomfort, made him stop. But the question stuck with me. Why don't I have anything that I am passionate about.

I like a wide variety of things and find enjoyment and beauty in even the simplest, smallest things but I've always been a bit of a generalist. I think being a JW also contributed to this in that we were always told to set our own interests aside for kingdom (WT) interests - you will have time for pursuing your interests in the new system. So no hobbies, sports, advanced education for me. Right.

Now I'm out and at 57 trying to find out what I should have discovered many decades ago. Damn. If I was back in the states I would probably go back to school for me and study biology at the micro, unicellular level.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

I've taken on a new hobby of making my own all natural body butters, and lotions...I'm venturing to soaps and other items. I enjoy cooking soulful meals, mixing drinks and entertaining family and friends, now I'm using trying these skills in natural health remedies.

• flipper
    flipper

Great thread Poopsie. I love playing music on my guitar and practicing and jamming with my son and his buddy. But if they are working at their jobs alot where our schedules don't jive- I still practice about 4 or 5 days a week. Like Twitch stated losing ourselves in the music and finding that moment when the sychronicity is great with other musicians IS really a rush. My son and I had one of those moments the other day as I had been working on a chord progression and he created some kick ass lead guitar to what I was doing. As I played my chord progression he played his created lead guitar part. When stuff like that happens in music- it's beautiful. So sitting out on my deck looking at the canyon below or watching the forest while playing guitar and making songs is a thing I really love to do, brings peace of mind and peace to my soul.

I'm glad and happy to hear that you are enjoying photography Poopsie . That's a great interest to have as well. I dabble in it somewhat as well when I'm hiking in the Sierra mountains out west here and always take my camera with me when I drive out of town. It's really cool the pictures we can capture if we look for just the right moment

• clarity
    clarity

I have always loved old houses & fixing them up.

I might have said 'restoring them' but ha ha...not

that talented! Landscaping & gardening excite me.

I read nonstop & when the muse strikes... write!

Enjoy conversation & good hearted debate........

Colours in everything ....especially sun rise & sun sets!

Pretty simple really.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit