What Was Your Opinion of Elder's Wives?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

i think that many of them were saints. Some were bitches and others seemed like they hated their status.

Many wives were very good examples and were more "qualified" than their elder husbands.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I was the wife of two different elders. 1st time: I was in my mid 20's in the late 70's. I can honestly say that in our congregation the elders wives were sincerely trying to be faithful and encouraging. Several were married to assh@#%s but never complained. One wife was a convert who was not as zealous as the others and often missed meetings. She and her hubby got so much flack for it she gave up and quit. Later the whole family joined her. The 2ond time: was about 15 years ago in a much larger cong. in a different town. What a difference! Most of the other elders wives were classic insufferable Elderettes, pious snobs who wanted nothing to do with me and the feeling was mutual! Being an elders wife simply means your husband is seldom available for you and you and your children are scrutinized more than the R&F. I neither felt nor received any status. Since Elderettes are SELF APPOINTED they throw their opinions and their weight around at will. They are truely hard to stomach.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Have seen both sides. Some were phenomenal examples of faith and christian values.

• BelleStar
    BelleStar

I found some to be more of an 'Elder' than their husbands, they were elevated and very judgemental.. I especially remember one from when I was a youngster in 'The Truth' who hated my long hair and fashionable dress.. they seemed to imply it was wanton to have long hair. She cut her childrens' hair very short and dressed them in long skirts, almost like the Amish so I was frown upon greatly. I heard elders wifes contadict what other elders had spoken about during a talk.. I think the power got to some of them. This particular woman wanted me to play Jezabel in a drama.. needless to say I declined and as soon as I could, I got out and my life began.

• prologos
    prologos

the run the spectrum from Bath-sheba to Jezebel, not just my opinion.

Including Xanthippe, the battle-ax to borrow from he greeks.

• minimus
    minimus

Nnbelle, nice first post and welcome!

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

UPTIGHT...

Legacy

• Auntfancy
    Auntfancy

Just like most people there were good ones and then there were the those who gossiped and some were arrogant. I was an elder's wife and I treated everyone with kindness just like my husband did. I never got involved in the gossip plus my husband never told me things ahead of time so I was in the dark about so much. I wish I had known more because it would have woke me up much earlier. I was a target of other elders because I had some health problems which caused me to miss some meetings and they tried to get my husband deleted but a very kind CO put a stop to it and told them it was not loving. I can honestly say my husband was always the kind elder and he would avoid committee meetings at all cost because he did not like putting people through that. There are always plenty of elders that volunteer for to do it so he just would never volunteer. I guess I got a little off topic! LOL

• darwin
    darwin

Say goog-bye to your husband was the way the other elder's wives told my wife when I got made I mean appointed by err the good ole boys club

Blueblades

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Aunt Fancy, You made me think of something I had long forgotton. When I was a young elders' wife frequently other sisters (sometimes brothers) would start telling me about jucy/naughty stuff going on in the Hall that was being covered over with the other Elders and kids. I knew I shouldn't be listening but I was too young and too social to resist. I never spread what I heard but I did go straight to hubby with it, which was the plan of the person telling me. They wanted my hubby to DO SOMETHING about the problem. Worse yet, 1st hubby disreguarded confidentiality and told me EVERYTHING that went on. It was a heavy burden for such a young couple to know so much and soon hubby quit the job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit