Slip Sliding Away :I went to a 1 day assembly-Why?

by MissFit 33 Replies latest jw friends

• MissFit
    MissFit

I have not attended anything JW related for over a year...

Until last week when I went to our one day convention.

WHY you ask?

Why not? I say.

I can do what I want I'm a grown adult.

ok...ok...so my JW childhood friend who I have not seen forever, came by for a visit.

I mentally went through the check list:

Is she pioneering and need extra time?

(No service clothes on- just casual)

A family crisis perhaps?

*No tears, seems cheerful.)

She loves me, she really loves me!!!

After some small talk, she smiles real big and sweet and says: I have a sandwich all packed for you for lunch tomorrow at the assembly. I'll save a seat for you.

You'll be there right?

Yeah, i'm a grown up and can do what I want.

I went. Why? What happens there doesnt matter to me any more.

But spending some time with my friend does matter to me.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I think that's cute. I would have gone. I still go to support family. I am mentally out, but am amused by the whole thing now. It's like watching paint dry, but sometimes there are really comical examples of the dissonance and stupidity which make it worthwhile to some degree.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

if I'd been able to get away for a year, there's no way I'd go back for anything. You're just giving her false hope that you're going to start being a cultist again. Once that hope is shattered, you'll probably see less of her.

• paladin
    paladin

I'm still trapped in this religion and our one day assembly starts this Saturday. I have to attend for some family members so I don't rock the boat so to speak. I have to check the postings here to see what new light is being talked about.

• blondie
    blondie

So why can't you count time in casual clothes...informal witnessing.

Only you know how you felt by going, then and later. Will she only associate with you to go to meetings, etc.? Why not suggest going to a favorite restaurant and see what response you get.

Personally, I make sure I have something else I can point to on my calendar. It's been 12 years, nobody comes by; no socializing with inactive jws.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Day old sandwiches suck, For that reason alone I'd have said no.

• steve2
    steve2

I would only ever go to a convention if my JW friend from the 1970s is still good-looking. But, sadly, I doubt he'd bother to personally call to invite me to spend it with him. Ah such sweet memories of our chaste but fraught friendship when we were young and in love, I with him, and he with his soon-to-be wife.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

You should of spent the time of her visit after she asked if you'll go asking her questions and planting seeds. I like everyone else here thinks this did not do your friend any favors. I just can't go its all just to much bullshit and having everyone looking at me like I'm a freak is just to much when I have the true knowledge and know they are in fact the freaks.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I call it a sandwich bribe.

Your friend did not want to go alone in a sea of strangers, did she?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yeah, i'm a grown up and can do what I want.

I went. Why? What happens there doesnt matter to me any more.

But spending some time with my friend does matter to me.

I agree and do so myself!

THANKS!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit