Service meeting video....what a non-event

by sir82 48 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

At our service meeting we saw the video of a JW explaining his beliefs about 1914.

It was.....well, "underwhelming" does not do it justice. What is below "underwhelming"? "Boringly tepid"?

My 1 sentence summary: "A moron explaining nonsense to a nitwit".

I won't bore you with the details, but here is the approximate level of discourse, substituting "how to make toast" for "how to arrive at 1914":

Moronic JW: Today we're going to make toast. I've made some notes for myself since this is so complex.

Idiot householder: I enjoy preparing food. I look forward to this.

MJW: So, the first thing you do is take a piece of bread. Does that make sense?

IHH: I think so.

MJW: Now, grasping the piece of bread, place it in the toaster slot.

IHH: OK.

MJW: So, now according to this chart, the next step is to push the toaster lever down. Does that seem reasonable?

IHH: Yes, yes, I think I understand.

MJW: I know this is a lot of information. Maybe I can come back next week and explain about "the plug".

IHH: Oh I would enjoy that. I've learned so much!

Who else saw it? What was your reaction?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Glad i stayed home and viewed agents of shield instead

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

MMMmmmm-Kay!!!!

• BU2B
    BU2B

And he kept repeating- "does that make sense"? No intelligent person would have answered in the affirmative. It seemed like he was a swindler trying to fast talk someone into a pyramid scheme PUN INTENDED!

• Magnum
    Magnum

Don't go to meetings anymore. Is it on JW.ORG? I'd love to see it. How is such shown at meetings? On a TV? With some kind of projector? Is it a video that has been downloaded by an elder from a site only for elders?

Your description enables me to imagine it. I can't believe they even mention 1914 anymore, much less how to explain how it's calculated. I didn't think they'd go there anymore. This is the first I've heard of their visiting doctrine like that in a while.

• sir82
    sir82

It's projected from a PC onto a large screen.

The odd thing was, it took the JW 7 minutes to go through his spiel, and he didn't even mention:

1) How 607 BCE was determined

2) How 2520 years was determined

3) Why, exactly, the dream "is also a prophecy"

4) Assuming that you buy that it is a prophecy, why, exactly, it has to have 2 fulfillments

The whole thing is utter nonsense - but those 4 topics are the most nonsensical of all. And none of them were even hinted at.

• Magnum
    Magnum

So evidently JWs today (whether they realize it or not) are recruiting individuals of a certain caliber and gullibility. Anybody who would accept the explanation without questioning the four things you mentioned above is just the type the org wants now. Those who would question the four things you mentioned are not the kind the org wants and would be weeded out by such a stupid, shallow, flawed "explanation".

Please, somebody let me know if it shows up on JW.ORG (or is already there). I want to see it.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Magnum: I can't believe they even mention 1914 anymore, much less how to explain how it's calculated. I didn't think they'd go there anymore. This is the first I've heard of their visiting doctrine like that in a while.

Next week: "How measuring the inside passagways of the Great Pyramid of Giza proves 1914 is correct".

• BU2B
    BU2B

I agree magnum. They are not interested in intelligent critical thinkers. Only the most gullible naive are who they are after.

• Absalom
    Absalom

sir82- I completely agree. I told my wife that the witness in both the two articles we discussed and video come off very condescending. If you look at the first picture what do you see? He is talking to someone in their 50's with a relatively nice house, so he is moderately successful in his career, and you ask a question like he is speaking to a three year old. and when the house holder answers tree, he says that's right! Like that was a tough question that he really had to dwell on.

It's been mentioned before, but they play these convos out like the householder wouldn't have already googled 1914.

They are only targeting weak minded people anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit